Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 17:57
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

33% (02:29) correct 66% (00:31) wrong based on 3 sessions
J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a recipient of the Nobel Price in physics, trained many physicists, among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics. This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

Which one of the following is an assumption on which the argument depends?

(A) J. J. Thomson was an internationally known physicist and scientists came from all over the world to work with him.
(B) All the scientists trained by J. J. Thomson were renowned for their creative scientific research.
(C) At least one of the eminent scientists trained by J. J. Thomson was not a creative researcher before coming to study with him.
(D) Creative research in physics requires research habits not necessary for creative research in other fields.
(E) Scientists who go on to be the most successful researchers often receive their scientific education in classes taught by renowned research scientists.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:10
Trying to decide between B & C.
I'll pick 'C'
B does not work 'coz the stmt doesn't clarify whether creative scientific skills are due to the students's abilities or due to the teacher's skills
Director
Director
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:15
Agree with C.....

B and E are too broad
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:24
One more for C
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:33
guys pls explain............
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: JJ Thompson [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:44
HIMALAYA wrote:
J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a recipient of the Nobel Price in physics, trained many physicists, among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics. This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

(A) J. J. Thomson was an internationally known physicist and scientists came from all over the world to work with him.
(B) All the scientists trained by J. J. Thomson were renowned for their creative scientific research.
(C) At least one of the eminent scientists trained by J. J. Thomson was not a creative researcher before coming to study with him.
(D) Creative research in physics requires research habits not necessary for creative research in other fields.
(E) Scientists who go on to be the most successful researchers often receive their scientific education in classes taught by renowned research scientists.

The argument concludes that ' the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.' Here the author must be assuming that at least some of the physicists trained by JJ gained those skills only during their study with JJ.
'C' neatly ties in with this assumption.

A - Out of scope
B - Doesn't clarifyif the physicists had those skills before the training or if they were gained because of the training.
D & E - not valid.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:47
Premise: J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a recipient of the Nobel Price in physics, trained many physicists, among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics.

Conclusion: This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

We need a bridge between them to acts as an assumption.

This is not an assumption 'cos this is already given (though all over the world goes over board)

Goes way beyond the assumption. The conclusion says that the creative thing can be taught but never said all of them gained that quality.

This looks better among all the options 'cos if creative researchers can be made from training people there are atleast a few heads who were not having that trait beofre coming to JJ

Well this goes beyond the scope

Goes out of scope
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 18:47
HIMALAYA wrote:

I have broken down the passage and marked the premise and conclusion,
Read the passage as is and you will realize that only when you insert 'C' into the equation you will arrive at the conclusion. Try inserting the others and you will realize that they will not lead you to the conclusion.

(P)J. J. Thomson, trained many physicists.
(P)Among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics.

At least one of the eminent scientists trained by J. J. Thomson was not a creative researcher before coming to study with him.

(C)Therefore the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 19:58
rthothad wrote:
HIMALAYA wrote:

I have broken down the passage and marked the premise and conclusion,
Read the passage as is and you will realize that only when you insert 'C' into the equation you will arrive at the conclusion. Try inserting the others and you will realize that they will not lead you to the conclusion.

(P)J. J. Thomson, trained many physicists.
(P)Among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics.

At least one of the eminent scientists trained by J. J. Thomson was not a creative researcher before coming to study with him.

(C)Therefore the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

how do we know that all the scientists taught by JJ Thompson are creative researcher? if the one who is not a creative researcher before coming to study with trained by J. J. Thomson is not turned to be a creative researcher, then how do we deduce C is best? C would be ok, if the passage had an assumption that all the scientists trained by Thompson are creative researcher. right..

here i am not convinced and this is the reason to post this question..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 22:15
Another vote for C

Using denail test.

Let us deny C.
This means all the reseachers were already creative researchers. If this was so, the conclusion that creative research can be taught and learnt will fall apart.

Thus, C is the assumption. For the conclusion that "creative research can be taught and learnt" to hold , we must have at least one scientist who was not a creative researcher.

ash

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 22:57
I'll pick C

Himalaya, the conclusion does not specify "always". So, if even only one person was trained to become a creative researcher, we can come to a conclusion that a person can be trained (NOT neccessarily everyone).
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2005, 23:58
HIMALAYA wrote:
how do we know that all the scientists taught by JJ Thompson are creative researcher? if the one who is not a creative researcher before coming to study with trained by J. J. Thomson is not turned to be a creative researcher, then how do we deduce C is best? C would be ok, if the passage had an assumption that all the scientists trained by Thompson are creative researcher. right..

here i am not convinced and this is the reason to post this question..

No where in the passage you will find 'All'. Moreover in an assumption type of question we are trying to fill in the blanks which will justify the conclusion.
Let me ask you a different question: do you have an answer choice that will be best in this scenario
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2005, 05:47
B for me

Point1: JJ taught many well known scientists.
Point2: Creative research skills can be taught.

Assume: JJ must have creative skills , so do his students.

Otherwise, point2 will be irrelevant to point1.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2005, 07:29
It is C

Negate C and the argument falls apart. If the scientist was already a creative researcher, then he did not learn creative research from JJ.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2005, 12:46

Negate B and the argument still stands. The researchers still could have learned the skills needed for creative research without becoming famous for their research.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: JJ Thompson [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2005, 17:38
[quote="HIMALAYA"]J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a recipient of the Nobel Price in physics, trained many physicists, among them seven Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics. This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

I do not like this question. But this is it for me.

The key thing is to show that the skills needed for CR can be taught and learned.

Out. No good.

Out. No good. Even if they all were renowned, that doesn't matter.

Out. If two (it says at least one) of the scientists were CRs before coming to the study, how about others (we don't know about them)? They probably learnt from JJ. The argument does not crumble if negated.

Out. WE are not concerned about how CR in physics relates to CR in other fields.

Too restrictive. First to go out.

I am left with no choice! OK, but i have to move on.

Second Thoughts: In (C), 'at least one' may mean 'all', and if we apply 'all', then the option becomes a feasible assumption.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2005, 20:11
rthothad wrote:
No where in the passage you will find 'All'. Moreover in an assumption type of question we are trying to fill in the blanks which will justify the conclusion.
Let me ask you a different question: do you have an answer choice that will be best in this scenario

about your question, i am not sure whether E is correct or not. But IMO C could be the answer but not the ideal one.

now lets see the passage this way.

The passage says that J.J. Thomson trained many physicists, among them 7 Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics. This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

lets suppose if JJ thompson trained altogather 123 physicists. out of them 122 are creative researchers (7 Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics) and they all had creative research skills before their joining with JJ Thompson and rest 1 is not creative researcher. then how do we conclude that C is the assumption.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 05:22
HIMALAYA wrote:
about your question, i am not sure whether E is correct or not. But IMO C could be the answer but not the ideal one.

now lets see the passage this way.

The passage says that J.J. Thomson trained many physicists, among them 7 Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics. This shows that the skills needed for creative research can be taught and learned.

lets suppose if JJ thompson trained altogather 123 physicists. out of them 122 are creative researchers (7 Nobel Price winners, 32 fellows of the Royal Society of London, and 83 professors of physics) and they all had creative research skills before their joining with JJ Thompson and rest 1 is not creative researcher. then how do we conclude that C is the assumption.

In this type of question you will have to make just one assumption which help you lead to the conclusion, you should try to strengthen the conclusion but you are trying to weaken the conclusion that is where your problem is.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2005, 06:40
rthothad wrote:
In this type of question you will have to make just one assumption which help you lead to the conclusion, you should try to strengthen the conclusion.

yup, now i agree. actually i was thinking the other way round without remembering that it is an assumption question.

thanks.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 02:59
I am not sure about the answer now. But I will be able to answer it soon because i am collecting information about j j Thomson to write an essay on jj Thomson. I am definitely coming back with write answer soon. :)
Re: J. J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and a   [#permalink] 12 Nov 2011, 02:59