Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

jallenmorris locking threads?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:10
Really? You're allowed to express your opinion and everyone should listen to you... but as soon as someone calls you on it you start calling people asses and locking threads?

Mr. J Allen Morris, you clearly shouldn't be a moderator. I dunno how things work around here... but if this kind of behavior is condoned, then I'm out. Either he stops moderating, or i'm gone.

(I realize i have little pull... what with my 20 posts and all... so i don't really care either way.)

P.S., Let's see if you can DELETE threads too!?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:12
Not to defend Jallen for what he wrote back to agold, but the thread had taken a turn for the worse. Agold posted some rather offensive things and sometimes its better to end a discussion than to let it go.

That said, his last comment was uncalled for and really didnt need to be posted. Personal attacks arent warranted on the forum.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:15
Hi egy and everyone else,

Due to stating my opinions in jallenmorris' thread this morning, I have been banned from the boards and I am now unable to login to my account. I found this quite ridiculuos as I am an active participant on these boards and I try to contribute as much as I can.

Best of luck to everyone with your Chicago applications. I hope that someone else can maintain the thread and status on invites/admits as I have been banned from GMATClub.

jallen - best of luck with the GMAT Tutoring and everything else. We really appreciate all of your valuable input into the B-School Application Forum that you provide. Thanks for all of your contributions.

With no GMATClub, I have a lot more time to put in some solid applications for R2 :)

Now, my post is being deleted (most likely by riverripper).

Later.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:18
What did agold write that was so offensive? Clearly he was making a (funny) joke.

riverripper wrote:
Not to defend Jallen for what he wrote back to agold, but the thread had taken a turn for the worse. Agold posted some rather offensive things and sometimes its better to end a discussion than to let it go.

That said, his last comment was uncalled for and really didnt need to be posted. Personal attacks arent warranted on the forum.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354
Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:19
I will have to agree with jallenmorris on this one (not the locking of threads, but the issue)! Abt the 710 score - a great score cannot get u in, but a poor score can keep u out. Giving an example of 560 is absurd. He was comparing a 680 with a 710. Even if u score 800, u arent guaranteed an admit. Most schools will tell u that once u score above a certain level (usually the 90 percentile), gmat score doesnt play a major role!

The same thing can be said abt the interview process. A great interview at Kellogg will probably not get u in, but a poor interview will probably keep u out. He was spot on when talking the "right perspective". There is nuthin wrong in being dissappointed that you have scored 710 when u were expecting a 750+. But, that 710 score was surely not responsible for u getting dinged at a school. Its a complete package, not a single parameter.

Lastly, gmatclub is known for its collegial atmosphere. Lets not ruin it. Lets not make it the US Senate :)
_________________

Traffic never sleeps...


Last edited by traffix on 21 Nov 2008, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:21
I apologize to agold for calling him an ass. I should keep my personal views to myself and the public forum was not the place to express them. I disagree with agold in many areas. Numerous of agold's posts have an attitude like it's M7 or nothing and the way he expresses his attitude discourages people that aren't shooting for the very top from contributing to the forum. We do not want to discourage anyone from participating. A person that scores a 550 can contribute just like someone that scores a 750 can.

Even if it was a joke, it's an inappropriate joke.

egy wrote:
What did agold write that was so offensive? Clearly he was making a (funny) joke.

riverripper wrote:
Not to defend Jallen for what he wrote back to agold, but the thread had taken a turn for the worse. Agold posted some rather offensive things and sometimes its better to end a discussion than to let it go.

That said, his last comment was uncalled for and really didnt need to be posted. Personal attacks arent warranted on the forum.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:23
Thanks for stating you agree with me (on some issues). I should not have written back what I did, so I have deleted that post.

I loved your comment about keeping this collegial and not making this the US Senate!

nadtrans wrote:
I will have to agree with jallenmorris on this one (not the locking of threads, but the issue)! Abt the 710 score - a great score cannot get u in, but a poor score can keep u out. Giving an example of 560 is absurd. He was comparing a 680 with a 710. Even if u score 800, u dont accepted. Most schools will tell u that once u score above a certain level (usually the 90 percentile), gmat score doesnt play anyrole at all!

The same thing can be said abt the interview process. A great interview at Kellogg will probably not get u in, but a poor interview will probably keep u out. He was spot on when talking the "right perspective". There is nuthin wrong in being dissappointed that you have scored 710 when u were expecting a 750+. But, that 710 score was surely not responsible for u getting dinged at a school. Its a complete package, not a single parameter.

Lastly, gmatclub is known for its collegial atmosphere. Lets not ruin it. Lets not make it the US Senate :)

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 25 Dec 2007
Posts: 524
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [1] , given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:27
1
This post received
KUDOS
I think banning agold is the wrong move. I don't agree with all his posts, but I have enough judgment and confidence to reject some of what he says while taking to heart some of the more useful info that he posts (posted?).

Every family has a crazy uncle, or the arrogant cousin - it doesn't mean you leave them out of the invite list for the Christmas party.

Lastly, a true forum is one where differing opinions can exist together and even flourish. If we start banning people left and right, then GMATclub stops being a useful resource. I personally don't find agold to be the most abrasive regular poster of GMATClub. In fact, he is probably not even in the top 3!

Please re-consider your decision to ban agold.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2008
Posts: 354
Location: Texas
Schools: Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:31
I concur! I would officially like to start the bring agold/terp06 back campaign! He is the only one along with a couple others that are always available to chat! Forgive and forget! In the words of my secretary "wht would Jesus Christ do"?

msday86 wrote:
I think banning agold is the wrong move. I don't agree with all his posts, but I have enough judgment and confidence to reject some of what he says while taking to heart some of the more useful info that he posts (posted?).

Every family has a crazy uncle, or the arrogant cousin - it doesn't mean you leave them out of the invite list for the Christmas party.

Lastly, a true forum is one where differing opinions can exist together and even flourish. If we start banning people left and right, then GMATclub stops being a useful resource. I personally don't find agold to be the most abrasive regular poster of GMATClub. In fact, he is probably not even in the top 3!

Please re-consider your decision to ban agold.

_________________

Traffic never sleeps...

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:34
You guys are deleting my posts now too? Wow! For questioning why you'd ban agold who's had 1300 posts!? For making an obviously absurd joke? Don't be so sensitive!!!!
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:35
If board etiquette standards are to be applied, they need to be done in a consistent manner. Unless some posts in that thread were deleted, I'm not sure what agold said to deserve a ban, but he was not the one resorting to ad hominem name-calling ("freaking moron," c'mon?).

riverripper wrote:
Personal attacks arent warranted on the forum.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:36
It is not a permanent ban.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 214
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:37
jallenmorris wrote:
It is not a permanent ban.


does this somehow make the fact that he was punished and you were not acceptable?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:38
Being collegial also involves not unnecessarily censoring people! You think because agold made a joke about non-m7 people washing m7 people's cars people who are shooting for Cornell aren't going to post? Give me a break!



jallenmorris wrote:
Thanks for stating you agree with me (on some issues). I should not have written back what I did, so I have deleted that post.

I loved your comment about keeping this collegial and not making this the US Senate!
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:38
solaris1,

While I shouldn't have written it, and even in context it's probably doesn't get much better and I still should not have writen it, but at least let me paste the entire quote just so it is in context.

Quote:
Not both of them, just agold. A separate thread for those looking outside the top 20? Agold - did you even read what I wrote? You're a freaking moron sometimes. Certainly not all the time, you have some very good posts, but other times I just don't have a clue where you're coming from.


solaris1 wrote:
If board etiquette standards are to be applied, they need to be done in a consistent manner. Unless some posts in that thread were deleted, I'm not sure what agold said to deserve a ban, but he was not the one resorting to ad hominem name-calling ("freaking moron," c'mon?).

riverripper wrote:
Personal attacks arent warranted on the forum.

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:40
Please temporarily ban yourself. What you said in that thread (and in the posts you subsequently deleted) was far worse than what agold said.

Seriously.. ban yourself.

jallenmorris wrote:
It is not a permanent ban.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:40
It's that attitude that the creators of the forum have stated they don't want. They want this forum to be a place that anyone will feel comfortable contributing and being a part of. That kind of comment doesn't accomplish what the starters of this forum wanted.

egy wrote:
Being collegial also involves not unnecessarily censoring people! You think because agold made a joke about non-m7 people washing m7 people's cars people who are shooting for Cornell aren't going to post? Give me a break!



jallenmorris wrote:
Thanks for stating you agree with me (on some issues). I should not have written back what I did, so I have deleted that post.

I loved your comment about keeping this collegial and not making this the US Senate!

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 22 Oct 2008
Posts: 214
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
neither does calling people an ass, telling them they're a freaking moron or banning them.

Seriously, if you're not gonna ban yourself how can you possibly have any credibility on this issue.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2008
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:42
.

Last edited by agold9 on 21 Nov 2008, 11:47, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 254
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: jallenmorris locking threads? [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:43
Revisionist history is SOOOO fun. Do you remember when you called him "such an ass"? I'd love to quote you, but you conveniently deleted the post. Are you seriously so impressed with yourself that you're abusing MODERATOR privileges on an internet forum? Seriously?

Ban yourself... and then maybe I won't demand you lose your moderator privileges.


jallenmorris wrote:
solaris1,

While I shouldn't have written it, and even in context it's probably doesn't get much better and I still should not have writen it, but at least let me paste the entire quote just so it is in context.

Quote:
Not both of them, just agold. A separate thread for those looking outside the top 20? Agold - did you even read what I wrote? You're a freaking moron sometimes. Certainly not all the time, you have some very good posts, but other times I just don't have a clue where you're coming from.

Re: jallenmorris locking threads?   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2008, 11:43
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Since John Locke acknowledged authorship of his political vipin7um 5 19 Mar 2006, 19:58
I locked this thread due to the reason mentioned in here eybrj2 2 18 Jun 2012, 19:20
jallenmorris profile eval jallenmorris 3 02 Mar 2009, 12:57
CHAT NOW!!! jallenmorris - 2:17 Central jallenmorris 2 29 Jun 2008, 11:18
Internship Locked In!! aaudetat 6 29 Feb 2008, 11:00
Display posts from previous: Sort by

jallenmorris locking threads?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2   3   4   5   6    Next  [ 104 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.