Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jane and John are very concerned about their five-year-old

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Jane and John are very concerned about their five-year-old [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 05:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

57% (02:02) correct 43% (01:02) wrong based on 23 sessions
Jane and John are very concerned about their five-year-old twins, so they will be flying to Vermont, where the summer house is located, next Sunday.

The Answer Choices:
A) so they will be flying to Vermont, where the summer house is located, next Sunday
B) so they will be flying to Vermont, where their summer house is located, next Sunday
C) so they will be flying them to Vermont, where the summer house is located, next Sunday
D) so they will be flying to Vermont, where the summer houses is located, next Sunday
E) so they will be flying them to Vermont, where the summer house is located, on Sunday.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1586 [0], given: 249

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 19 May 2011, 05:57
Expert's post
Since logically the five-year old twins can't be flying their parents, it is the parents who must be flying their children. So the pronoun ‘they’ must refer to Jane and John.

Secondly the object pronoun 'them' referring to the children is essential to make it clear that the parents are themselves not flying. These norms leave choices C and E.

E is wrong because of the use of the prepositional phrase 'on Sunday', which may tend to mean that the summer home is located on Sundays. Not a big issue but still C is more forthright.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 11:50
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
Since logically the five-year old twins can't be flying their parents, it is the parents who must be flying their children. So the pronoun ‘they’ must refer to Jane and John.

Secondly the object pronoun 'them' referring to the children is essential to make it clear that the parents are themselves not flying. These norms leave choices C and E.

E is wrong because of the use of the prepositional phrase 'on Sunday', which may tend to mean that the summer home is located on Sundays. Not a big issue but still C is more forthright.

Consider this scenario

Jane and John will fly to Vermont where their five-year-old twins are already present.

In this case option A is correct...

Also I am not convinced that "next sunday" can come at the end of sentence.

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 944 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 13:22
daagh wrote:

if it is clear that 'they' refers to parents , then how C is better than A?

A seems to be fine.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 230 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 13:42
They is referring to parents because 5 years old twins cannot fly themselves or their parents.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1586 [0], given: 249

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 21:53
Expert's post
The object pronoun ‘them’ is essential to imply that the children are essentially traveling, mostly with the parents. A may tend to mean that the parents alone are traveling. Why will they travel alone? Are the going to attend a summer school on parenting?

To assume that the children might be already there is imaginativeness at its height.

SC’s one concern is effective expression through logical predication. I think as per this norm, A, though may be grammatically correct, is still inferior to C

I agree that end of the sentence is not the right place for the phrase ‘next Sunday’. It should go along with traveling. But all the choices falter on this; so let us ignore it.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 22:07
Baten80 wrote:
They is referring to parents because 5 years old twins cannot fly themselves or their parents.

I dont think this is universal knowledge.... :P

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 21:30
'flying them', isn't it should be 'flying with them' to have option C as correct. I went with A, as it looks reasonable unless we had to assume something.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 23:18
There is are 2 scenario , it is ambiguous
Whats the source ?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 03:33
Sorry. I do not want to reveal the source (for personal reasons). The instructor said that C is the correct answer while I thought A was better than C. So, I posted it here and BTG forums to see what everyone thinks.

Here is my comment
Quote:
I fail to see how this is stylistically better than the original (as it still has the pronoun ambiguity). Moreover it changes the meaning.

Here is the instructors explanation.
Quote:
The so-called meaning change introduced by adding the pronoun "them" actually improves the logic of the sentence and makes it less ambiguous.Without "them" we don't understand who will be flying to Vermont - Jane and John? Or the twins? The addition of them makes it clear that Jane and John will be putting the twins on a plane, and the twins will be flying to vermont.

Let's look again at the corrected sentence. Since the sentence contains a subject and an object: "They will be flying them" (meaning "they" will be putting "them" on an airplane) - logic requires that "they" refer to the adults - Jane and John - and that "them" refer to the five-year olds.

In the real world, this is the only imaginable understanding of the sentence. Of course, in an imaginary world, it could be different: the twins could pay for their parents plane tickets, or maybe even ride on their parents' backs through the skies to Vermont. However, the GMAT will only present you with sentences describing real-world scenarios.

Finally (and this can never be stressed enough) meaning change in itself is not a sufficient reason to eliminate an answer choice, as a small meaning change is often inevitable to correct the sentence. If the other answer choices have worse grammar or logic mistakes, they are preferable to answer choice that has only a meaning change.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Founder- FoodJustice India, Volunteer- Greenpeace Sustainable agriculture practices, University Placement Co-Ordinator-Management Department(2002-04), Member of Youth parliament-AU(2002-04)
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 27 May 2011, 07:59
Ans C- Why?

1. Pronoun must be unambiguous
2. Every pronoun has only one possible antecedent
3. Pronouns shows the tendency to refer to nouns in the same case. Ex above: a pronoun "them" which is in object position is presumed to refer to the object of the prallel clause "twins"

Hope this helps!
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 177

Kudos [?]: 944 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 01:16
AimingHarvard wrote:
Ans C- Why?

1. Pronoun must be unambiguous
2. Every pronoun has only one possible antecedent
3. Pronouns shows the tendency to refer to nouns in the same case. Ex above: a pronoun "them" which is in object position is presumed to refer to the object of the prallel clause "twins"

Hope this helps!

the question is- why not A?

C changes the meaning, and the change in meaning is only permitted if something is wrong with the original sentence.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC Question [#permalink] New post 29 May 2011, 11:19
daagh wrote:
The object pronoun ‘them’ is essential to imply that the children are essentially traveling, mostly with the parents. A may tend to mean that the parents alone are traveling. Why will they travel alone? Are the going to attend a summer school on parenting?

To assume that the children might be already there is imaginativeness at its height.

SC’s one concern is effective expression through logical predication. I think as per this norm, A, though may be grammatically correct, is still inferior to C

I agree that end of the sentence is not the right place for the phrase ‘next Sunday’. It should go along with traveling. But all the choices falter on this; so let us ignore it.

dear daagh
"where the summer house is located " is just modifying 'vermont'
then how can you ignore E out of list :? :?

WarLocK

Re: SC Question   [#permalink] 29 May 2011, 11:19