Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:27 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Jane and John are very concerned about their five-year-old [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
Since logically the five-year old twins can't be flying their parents, it is the parents who must be flying their children. So the pronoun ‘they’ must refer to Jane and John.

Secondly the object pronoun 'them' referring to the children is essential to make it clear that the parents are themselves not flying. These norms leave choices C and E.

E is wrong because of the use of the prepositional phrase 'on Sunday', which may tend to mean that the summer home is located on Sundays. Not a big issue but still C is more forthright.

if it is clear that 'they' refers to parents , then how C is better than A?

A seems to be fine.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4927 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
They is referring to parents because 5 years old twins cannot fly themselves or their parents.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The object pronoun ‘them’ is essential to imply that the children are essentially traveling, mostly with the parents. A may tend to mean that the parents alone are traveling. Why will they travel alone? Are the going to attend a summer school on parenting?

To assume that the children might be already there is imaginativeness at its height.

SC’s one concern is effective expression through logical predication. I think as per this norm, A, though may be grammatically correct, is still inferior to C

I agree that end of the sentence is not the right place for the phrase ‘next Sunday’. It should go along with traveling. But all the choices falter on this; so let us ignore it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Send PM
Baten80 wrote:
They is referring to parents because 5 years old twins cannot fly themselves or their parents.

I dont think this is universal knowledge.... :P
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
'flying them', isn't it should be 'flying with them' to have option C as correct. I went with A, as it looks reasonable unless we had to assume something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Send PM
There is are 2 scenario , it is ambiguous
Whats the source ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 395 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Sorry. I do not want to reveal the source (for personal reasons). The instructor said that C is the correct answer while I thought A was better than C. So, I posted it here and BTG forums to see what everyone thinks.

Here is my comment
Quote:
I fail to see how this is stylistically better than the original (as it still has the pronoun ambiguity). Moreover it changes the meaning.

Here is the instructors explanation.
Quote:
The so-called meaning change introduced by adding the pronoun "them" actually improves the logic of the sentence and makes it less ambiguous.Without "them" we don't understand who will be flying to Vermont - Jane and John? Or the twins? The addition of them makes it clear that Jane and John will be putting the twins on a plane, and the twins will be flying to vermont.

Let's look again at the corrected sentence. Since the sentence contains a subject and an object: "They will be flying them" (meaning "they" will be putting "them" on an airplane) - logic requires that "they" refer to the adults - Jane and John - and that "them" refer to the five-year olds.

In the real world, this is the only imaginable understanding of the sentence. Of course, in an imaginary world, it could be different: the twins could pay for their parents plane tickets, or maybe even ride on their parents' backs through the skies to Vermont. However, the GMAT will only present you with sentences describing real-world scenarios.

Finally (and this can never be stressed enough) meaning change in itself is not a sufficient reason to eliminate an answer choice, as a small meaning change is often inevitable to correct the sentence. If the other answer choices have worse grammar or logic mistakes, they are preferable to answer choice that has only a meaning change.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: Founder- FoodJustice India, Volunteer- Greenpeace Sustainable agriculture practices, University Placement Co-Ordinator-Management Department(2002-04), Member of Youth parliament-AU(2002-04)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Sales &amp; Marketing, Food Economics
Schools:HBS
Send PM
Ans C- Why?

1. Pronoun must be unambiguous
2. Every pronoun has only one possible antecedent
3. Pronouns shows the tendency to refer to nouns in the same case. Ex above: a pronoun "them" which is in object position is presumed to refer to the object of the prallel clause "twins"

Hope this helps!
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
AimingHarvard wrote:
Ans C- Why?

1. Pronoun must be unambiguous
2. Every pronoun has only one possible antecedent
3. Pronouns shows the tendency to refer to nouns in the same case. Ex above: a pronoun "them" which is in object position is presumed to refer to the object of the prallel clause "twins"

Hope this helps!

the question is- why not A?

C changes the meaning, and the change in meaning is only permitted if something is wrong with the original sentence.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 217 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Schools:ISB, IIMA ,SP Jain , XLRI
 Q48  V24 GMAT 2: 610  Q48  V27
WE 1: Aditya Birla Group (sales)
WE 2: Saint Gobain Group (sales)
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The object pronoun ‘them’ is essential to imply that the children are essentially traveling, mostly with the parents. A may tend to mean that the parents alone are traveling. Why will they travel alone? Are the going to attend a summer school on parenting?

To assume that the children might be already there is imaginativeness at its height.

SC’s one concern is effective expression through logical predication. I think as per this norm, A, though may be grammatically correct, is still inferior to C

I agree that end of the sentence is not the right place for the phrase ‘next Sunday’. It should go along with traveling. But all the choices falter on this; so let us ignore it.

dear daagh
"where the summer house is located " is just modifying 'vermont'
then how can you ignore E out of list :? :?

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts