Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 02:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jane and William will represent our school at the modern

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 23:16
I agree that Both words explain the reason for something but they are not interchangeable. Here For can not replace Because. For can be used to explain the reason why Jane and William will represent our school, but in that case sentence should be
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention for their creations have been outstanding this semester." "," should be omitted if using FOR.

or

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

now keep ; and omit because

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; their creations have been outstanding this semester"

we can simply use ";" as second part is an information that can stand independently. Because is not written but we can get meaning that second part is the reason of first part's happening.

as done in option C.

Correct me if I am doing it wrong.



Thanks.




Nitya, I agree ',' is not required in option A.

[/quote]



My answer is C.
and thanks for such a wonderful explanation.
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 500
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 00:47
321kumarsushant wrote:
I agree that Both words explain the reason for something but they are not interchangeable. Here For can not replace Because. For can be used to explain the reason why Jane and William will represent our school, but in that case sentence should be
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention for their creations have been outstanding this semester." "," should be omitted if using FOR.

or

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

now keep ; and omit because

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; their creations have been outstanding this semester"

we can simply use ";" as second part is an information that can stand independently. Because is not written but we can get meaning that second part is the reason of first part's happening.

as done in option C.

Correct me if I am doing it wrong.



Thanks.




Nitya, I agree ',' is not required in option A.





My answer is C.
and thanks for such a wonderful explanation.[/quote]
I dont agree with you on
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 01 Nov 2010
Posts: 194
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT Date: 08-27-2012
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 29

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 01:01
mundasingh123 wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
I agree that Both words explain the reason for something but they are not interchangeable. Here For can not replace Because. For can be used to explain the reason why Jane and William will represent our school, but in that case sentence should be
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention for their creations have been outstanding this semester." "," should be omitted if using FOR.

or

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

now keep ; and omit because

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; their creations have been outstanding this semester"

we can simply use ";" as second part is an information that can stand independently. Because is not written but we can get meaning that second part is the reason of first part's happening.

as done in option C.

Correct me if I am doing it wrong.



Thanks.




Nitya, I agree ',' is not required in option A.





My answer is C.
and thanks for such a wonderful explanation.

I dont agree with you on
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"[/quote]


@munda Singh
if you dont agree with me,,
then what is your answer and give proper reason.
_________________

kudos me if you like my post.

Attitude determine everything.
all the best and God bless you.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Status: Can't give up
Joined: 20 Dec 2009
Posts: 321
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 07:33
(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester -
(B) convention, their creations in this having been outstanding this semester - (being; having been are always a big avoid on GMAT)(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding - correctly maintains the two independent clauses, and also with the sequencing of events (creations; this semseter; have been outstanding)
(D) convention; they having been outstanding in their creations this semester
(E) convention, for they have this semester done outstanding creations - last clause "is awkward contruction o the sentence....also "they" can refer to any noun.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 31 Jan 2010
Posts: 500
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 07:37
321kumarsushant wrote:
mundasingh123 wrote:
321kumarsushant wrote:
I agree that Both words explain the reason for something but they are not interchangeable. Here For can not replace Because. For can be used to explain the reason why Jane and William will represent our school, but in that case sentence should be
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention for their creations have been outstanding this semester." "," should be omitted if using FOR.

or

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"

now keep ; and omit because

"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; their creations have been outstanding this semester"

we can simply use ";" as second part is an information that can stand independently. Because is not written but we can get meaning that second part is the reason of first part's happening.

as done in option C.

Correct me if I am doing it wrong.



Thanks.




Nitya, I agree ',' is not required in option A.





My answer is C.
and thanks for such a wonderful explanation.

I dont agree with you on
"Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"



@munda Singh
if you dont agree with me,,
then what is your answer and give proper reason.[/quote]
My response was wrt "Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention; because their creations have been outstanding this semester"
The sentence after the semicolon is not independent
_________________

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2010
Posts: 274
Location: India
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GPA: 3
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 27

Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2011, 08:36
I more or less agree with C although I thought "their creations this semester have been outstanding" sounds awkward compared to A.

So my question would be: Is it absolutely to wrong to use a comma before "for", when "for" is being used in place of because?
_________________

petrifiedbutstanding

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Nov 2010
Posts: 133
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 12

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 11:06
Modifier problem. Answer is C.
Director
Director
User avatar
Status: Enjoying the GMAT journey....
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 735
Location: India
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 289 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2011, 06:24
i will go with C
its clear n crisp
with semicolon, two indep clauses are used
_________________

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Status: Flying over the cloud!
Joined: 16 Aug 2011
Posts: 818
Location: Viet Nam
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Ross '17, Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 41

Kudos [?]: 224 [0], given: 43

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: our school at the modern arts [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 03:06
BarneyStinson wrote:
swatirpr wrote:


Hmmmmm, your explanation makes sense to me. There are actually several different ways of establishing a casual relationship between independent clauses to form meaningful wholesome sentences.

"," cannot precede "for".
",because", ";because" and ";" can all sound similar.

Most SC questions, the trick is to just listen to your ear. But there are questions as well that can trick the ear.
Interesting!!!!!


I didn't agree with you "'" cannot precede "for". The usage is FANBOYS, "for" plays a role of coordinator. My first choice is A because the relation cause-effect is necessary. I am totally not convinced with your guys explanation above about choice C.
_________________

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Aug 2009
Posts: 47
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 13:55
imo a

from og
The Olympic Games helped to keep peace among the pugnacious states of the Greek world in that a sacred truce was proclaimed during the festival's month.

(A) Same
(B) world, proclaiming a sacred truce during the festival’s month
(C) world when they proclaimed a sacred truce for the festival month
(D) world, for a sacred truce was proclaimed during the month of the festival
(E) world by proclamation of a sacred truce that was for the month of the festival

oa is d - as "for" stands for because
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 13 Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 22:57
Manhattan sc book - idiom strategy , pg 146 - has used "for" that is working as "because" and has placed it with comma. With this logic , option "A" appears a correct choice .

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 244
Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 22:22
for as subordinator is wrong with "," and hence A and E are out.
between B,C,D

B "sentence is awkward as "this" spoils the sentence.

D : they and their are ackward


hence C
_________________

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Sep 2011
Posts: 17
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 20:24
After reading all posts, I would argue for A since no one can find anything truly wrong with it. It is formal proper english.

C would mean we have two independent clauses, which means they could stand alone. However, 'Their creations this semester have been outstanding' cannot! No one would know who this sentence is referring to. Eliminate
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Aug 2010
Posts: 316
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 00:20
+1 for C. Independent clauses.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 May 2011
Posts: 324
WE 1: IT 1 Yr
WE 2: Supply Chain 5 Yrs
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 11

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2011, 00:50
we cannot add two independent clause just using comma. Semi colon is needed. C is using it better way.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 24

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 06:30
Quote:
Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester.

(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester
(B) convention, their creations in this having been outstanding this semester
(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding
(D) convention; they having been outstanding in their creations this semester
(E) convention, for they have this semester done outstanding creations

I had trouble with this at first. A and C are both grammatically correct. You can connect two independent and related sentences with either a semi-colon or a comma and a FANBOY (the comma can be optional depending on how it affects the meaning). Here each clause in A and C is independent. For is the correct conjunction because it shows purpose or why (basically, "for" functions identically to "because," except that "for" is for connecting 2 independent clauses instead of a dependent clause to an independent clause).

So why A or C if each construction is okay? Let's look at the differences:

(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester
(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding

Whenever something moves around, ALWAYS consider how it affects the meaning because it is often a modifier issue. Here, what is "this semester" modifying?

In A, it modifies the verb "have been" and tells us when the creations were outstanding. This is an improper meaning because it implies that the creations existed before this semester and now are outstanding (think of a sports player that is having a good season this year). It is odd to say that art was outstanding during a specific time period - art would be either outstanding or not and that wouldn't change.

In C, it is a restrictive modifier for "their creations" and tells us that their creations that came into existence this semester are outstanding. Therefore, C has the correct intended meaning.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Aug 2012
Posts: 73
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 07:03
Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester.

(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester Could be correct, chose C because t seemed more concise
(B) convention, their creations in this having been outstanding this semester having been awkward. In all this choice is wordy
(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding Correct
(D) convention; they having been outstanding in their creations this semesterhaving been awkward. In total, choice is wordy
(E) convention, for they have this semester done outstanding creations for they have this semester done- awkward
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Posts: 244
Location: India
GMAT Date: 07-16-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 25

Reviews Badge
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2012, 23:50
I am going to give my 2 cents.....
Option A: convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester--> "This semester" is modifying have been. Means The creation existed before and now become outstanding. This is not the intended meaning. Intended meaning is this semester creations are outstanding. hence "this semester" is a noun modifier.

As this is noun modifier should be placed next to noun creation. Hence option A is wrong.

For can be preceded by "," when working as conjunction in a sentence.
Option C: convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding--> Two independent clauses are connected by ";"--Correct.
Modifier error is rectified ("this semester" clearly modifies creation.) Intended meaning is preserved. Hence option C is correct
_________________

-------Analyze why option A in SC wrong-------

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1100
Location: United States
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 1313 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 11:07
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester.

(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester
(B) convention, their creations in this having been outstanding this semester
(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding
(D) convention; they having been outstanding in their creations this semester
(E) convention, for they have this semester done outstanding creations


My suggestion. This question is poor written. Do NOT study a question that you do NOT know its source. If you don't know the source, why you study?
The more you study, the lower scores you get.

First of all, there is NO problem with A because:
- "for" is a perfect substitution of "because" if it is put in the middle of a sentence and after a comma.
- In addition, we need cause-effect structure to make the sentence sensible.
- Moreover, in C the adverb phrase "this semester" is put in the middle of the question. That's quite weird in official writing that prefers adverb phrase put at the beginning or at the end of a sentence.

You can refer to a famous OFFICIAL question from OG in which "for" means "because".
the-olympic-games-helped-to-keep-peace-among-the-pugnacious-85874.html

Hope it clears your doubt.

Enjoy official questions folks.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Posts: 59
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 24

Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2013, 12:16
pqhai wrote:
gmataspirant2009 wrote:
Jane and William will represent our school at the modern arts convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester.

(A) convention, for their creations have been outstanding this semester
(B) convention, their creations in this having been outstanding this semester
(C) convention; their creations this semester have been outstanding
(D) convention; they having been outstanding in their creations this semester
(E) convention, for they have this semester done outstanding creations


My suggestion. This question is poor written. Do NOT study a question that you do NOT know its source. If you don't know the source, why you study?
The more you study, the lower scores you get.

First of all, there is NO problem with A because:
- "for" is a perfect substitution of "because" if it is put in the middle of a sentence and after a comma.
- In addition, we need cause-effect structure to make the sentence sensible.
- Moreover, in C the adverb phrase "this semester" is put in the middle of the question. That's quite weird in official writing that prefers adverb phrase put at the beginning or at the end of a sentence.

You can refer to a famous OFFICIAL question from OG in which "for" means "because".
the-olympic-games-helped-to-keep-peace-among-the-pugnacious-85874.html

Hope it clears your doubt.

Enjoy official questions folks.

I agree that one should avoid unofficial questions. That being said, this one isn't so bad. The GMAT loves to move modifiers around to create subtle differences in meaning. Here are a few official examples:

OG12SC3 Answer D specifically (although-various-eighteenth-and-nineteenth-century-american-88063.html)
OG13SC6 surpassed only/only surpassed (diabetes-together-with-its-serious-complications-ranks-21132.html)
OG13SC14 placement of corresponding/correspondingly (rising-inventories-when-unaccompanied-correspondingly-by-97784.html)

As to your post, the modifier "this semester" is actually an adjective because it is an essential modifier to identify the specific creations in question, so I disagree that it should be placed at the end.

I also disagree that adverbs should be at the beginning or end as a general rule. There are many times in which adverbs are in the middle of the sentence in GMAT (and sometimes placement in the middle can also create a much clearer meaning than placement at the end), so I wouldn't rely on that - the meaning and clarity are probably more important. Here is an example of this from the verbal review:

according-to-its-proponents-a-proposed-new-style-of-63927.html
Re: Jane and William will represent our school at the modern   [#permalink] 21 Nov 2013, 12:16
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
8 It is often thought that our own modern age is unique in mun23 2 07 Dec 2012, 11:45
With all of our modern labor-saving devices and products, it shrive555 3 16 Dec 2010, 10:12
Jane and William will represent our school at the modern tejal777 2 20 Oct 2009, 19:31
Student representative: Our university, in expelling a jyotsnasarabu 9 21 Nov 2006, 10:18
1 Student representative: Our university, in expelling a WinWinMBA 23 25 May 2005, 07:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Jane and William will represent our school at the modern

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3    Next  [ 41 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.