Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 18:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2003, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A cuture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

Please don't be stingy with your explanations!!!
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:21
Expert's post
So should I just move on.
You got any idea what's the source. I just hope that its not official.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 11-18-2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 23

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:29
Daagh has given nice explanation
in respect to modifier.
i used same rule of modifier and went with A
But somewhat still confuse with intend meaning of full sentence
please provide source

Thriving for CHANGE

Last edited by Aristocrat on 31 Oct 2012, 09:30, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 583

Kudos [?]: 2064 [0], given: 673

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:30
Expert's post
Yepp
not official as far as i can tell.
But even if it was, the gmat acts crazy often, so you can be on the lookout. And as we all know there are a couple of experimental questions which could throw you off (they dont contribute to the score but bring down your confidence about the test).

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 583

Kudos [?]: 2064 [0], given: 673

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 09:32
Expert's post
Director
Director
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 297

Premium Member CAT Tests
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 08:38
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

After checking OA for this question now I have doubt for the OA given for Brutal SC's

Source : brutal SC

Can we have discussion on this !!

Rgds,
TGC!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Said (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Sales (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 19

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 10:52
Okay here my approach:

Japan is not a culture, it is a country -> eliminate AB

C makes no sense -> eliminate

In E "of a system of forms" sounds akward and makes no sense because of the comma and is also not parallel to the other numberings. Further there is no other answer with this structure. -> eliminate

D is correct because the structure is parallel and it is not refeering to the country but the culture.

Is this a proper explanation or was it just a lucky guess?

Hodor?

Kudo!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 123

Kudos [?]: 564 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
targetgmatchotu wrote:
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its

After checking OA for this question now I have doubt for the OA given for Brutal SC's

Source : brutal SC

Can we have discussion on this !!

Whether the question is of 1000 series of Brutal series, the first step is to understand the meaning of the process. Upon understanding the meaning, one can easily deduce the correct answer.
Here A, B and C are incorrect in that they have modification issue. Is Japan a culture? Its incorrect because Japan is a country.
This modifier issue has been resolved in D and E. However, E implies that "something" of Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a culture of system of forms, etiquette bla bla bla. Illogical and hence incorrect.
D is the winner here, without any doubt.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2013, 04:12
Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the

One of my friend inform me that we have to use AND to combine 2 statements instead of ,(coma). Is it true?

a culture of... and a system of forms.... are 2 statements which refer Japan's. So do we have to use AND between them?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2013, 22:11
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 397

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 03:35
So when you have "Japan's is a culture" it means the culture of Japan?

So if I say "Maryse's is a book from WalMart" it is correct?

Thx for replies

Think outside the box

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 40

Kudos [?]: 395 [1] , given: 239

Premium Member
Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 03:44
This post received
KUDOS
Paris75 wrote:

Thx for replies

This is a brutal SC question ,a source full of typos and non-gmat like questions.
Pls. do not depend on the grammatical construction given in the options here.

Thnks

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V32
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 397

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2013, 05:13
This post received
KUDOS
dentobizz wrote:
Paris75 wrote:

Thx for replies

This is a brutal SC question ,a source full of typos and non-gmat like questions.
Pls. do not depend on the grammatical construction given in the options here.

Thnks

Thank you for this answer! I was so pissed off with this one! English is not my mother tongue and here I just felt.. lost...

Thx for the reply!

Think outside the box

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 121

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 09:33
Bad questions are always discussed allot on forums.

Point to be noted :
"Japan's" means "Japan's culture". A possessive without a noun takes on the identity of another noun in the sentence.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: WOULD: when to use?
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 24

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2014, 21:34
Is there subtle difference with "makes its ever-present congestion" and "makes the ever-present congestion"?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 47

Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2014, 12:19
Answer clearly "D"

Meaning: Japan's culture is a culture of accommodation and constraint.........

Sentence Structure: A Full independent clause, Absolute phrase modifier (a system( of something) that makes the....)

Absolute modifier: Noun+ Noun modifier , modifies the entire preceding clause.

Noun= a system,
Noun modifier= relative clause starting with relative pronoun "that" modifies the preceding noun " a system".
Re: Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2014, 12:19