Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 19:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 0

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2003, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A cuture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

Please don't be stingy with your explanations!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC japan [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2007, 23:38
beckee529 wrote:
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

please explain your choice. i already know the answer.. thanks :)

not sure which one is correct.

i would take A if it were:"Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.
Manager
Manager
Status: Post MBA, working in the area of Development Finance

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 02:37
It's definite D. But I took more time than required for an SC question!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Re: SC japan [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 04:37
beckee529 wrote:

(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its

I pick D.

We need to say 'Japan's culture is a culture of ....' since Japan itself is a country not a culture. Eliminate A, B and C.

B/w D & E, the use of 'which' is not correct in E (since there is no comma before it). Also, I'm not sure if 'of' is correct before 'a system'. Eliminate E.

What's the OA?
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

Re: SC japan [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 06:26
beckee529 wrote:

I will take E here

E is of the structure

Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

D is of the structure

Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the

in this construction I feel "that" doesnt have an antecedent.

Surely between D and E though
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 07:15
will go with D....
A,B,C..can be easily...be removed as for E..the problem with it is in the last part ..Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes ...here it is not clear which refers to what..the components of culture..
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: SC japan [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2007, 07:40
GK_Gmat wrote:
beckee529 wrote:

I pick D.

We need to say 'Japan's culture is a culture of ....' since Japan itself is a country not a culture. Eliminate A, B and C.

B/w D & E, the use of 'which' is not correct in E (since there is no comma before it). Also, I'm not sure if 'of' is correct before 'a system'. Eliminate E.

What's the OA?

VERY GOOD! the OA is D (one of the brutal q's i was not getting!)
thanks guys!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 06:27
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

Please explain.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 189 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 06:45
I will go with B.

All the modifiers are in correct place. Moreover "Which makes its" is more suitable than other ending phrases we have in options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 07:31
Huntgmat,

could you please explain why D is the correct answer.

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 07:50
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

[ its has no clear referent. Is it refering to Japan, System ? ]
[ its unclear ;
which is refering to images, it is wrong it should correctly point "system" ]

[ Againg the images is "making" , not the system !!! ]
[ that is refering to system , hence the meaning of the sentence is clear ]
[ Againg the images "makes" , not the system !!! ]

Answer D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 08:15
I do not understand how we can start a sentence with "Japan's is a culture ...".

Can you explain it?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 08:47
"Japan's culture is a culture" is wordier than "Japan's is a culture" I think ?
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 2

Re: SC_brutal [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 09:49
D

Japan is not a culture, so eliminate A/B/C right away.

Of D and E, D is better because E introduces an extra 'of' after the first comma, which isnt required.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 21:42

OA is D but my question is whats wrong with C and how D can be OA...Japan's is a culture, is this idiomatic expression? Folks please help me with this..
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 472 [1] , given: 5

Re: Brutal SC-34 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
marshpa wrote:

OA is D but my question is whats wrong with C and how D can be OA...Japan's is a culture, is this idiomatic expression? Folks please help me with this..

A,B,C
Says.. Japan is a Culture.. So.. they are gone.

between D and E.. (They may not be best but better than other 3 options)

In D, I think verb "IS" placed in the midlle of the subject "Janpan's Culture"

I can rewrite the setence like below

Japan's culture of accommodation and constraint IS a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the

E is out.."of systems of forms" --> awkward.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 4

Re: Brutal SC-34 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2008, 22:05
Good one suresh, I guess this sentence should be rewritten..like you suggested. +1 to you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: Brutal SC-34 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 00:29
-- Japan is not a culture.

>> Correct, even though I am unclear whether it is a correct sentence structure

-- "makes" should be plural.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Brutal SC-34 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2008, 01:07
Japan is a country, not a culture. Japan has a culture. So, A,B and C- out. D wins because of parallelism. D: "a culture of " - "a system of ". E: "a culture of " - "of a system of "
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 3

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 19:11

Getting no clue about right one. pls help
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Stern, Haas

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: SC [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2008, 20:44
jitendra wrote:

Getting no clue about right one. pls help

Can’t explain why particularly reds are wrong, just intuitively I would go with C
Re: SC   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2008, 20:44