Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2003, 20:02
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A cuture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

Please don't be stingy with your explanations!!!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: Japan [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 08:48
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

(A) Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

My Explanation:
---------------
A) Country Japan is not a culture; a country has a culture so we can discard this option.
B) This option again is referring to Japan as a culture of accommodation and constraint, which is wrong.
C) Same reason as that for option A & B.
D) The word Japan's in this context refers to Japan's culture.
E) I could find two errors here:
---> 1.) 'of a system of forms' is a wrong usage.
---> 2.) Though not as important as reason 1.), the word 'which' should be preceded by a comma.
---------------

IMHO, the answer is option D.

HTH.

+++ Believe me, it doesn't take much of an effort to underline SC questions. Just try it out. +++
+++ Please tell me why other options are wrong. +++

~~~ The only way to get smarter is to play a smarter opponent. ~~~

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Japan [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2009, 09:24
(C) A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its

My explanation :

A & B refer Japan as a culture which is wrong. tense in A should be singular (makes instaead of making). C follows with same errors as in A and B.
D Modfier modifies the noun correctly followd by present tense. E unnecessary introduction of 'of' breaks the //sm and awkward.

IMO

D
Intern
Intern
Schools: SDSU

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 17:27
A.Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
B.Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
C.A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
D.Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
E.Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

Tks for ur help/.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 20:29
baggio wrote:
A.Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its
B.Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its
C.A culture of accommodation and constraint, Japan is a system of forms, etiquette, and images making its
D.Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the
E.Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the

Tks for ur help/.

In A, the word and is missing. It would sound right if the sentence is Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, and a system of forms ,etiquette, and images, making its
B is wrong because the use of which. The which here modifies images. It is not the image makes its ever-present congestion tolerable.
D and E Japan's is wrong and the use of that and which is also wrong.

I guess I am going to go with C, although I kind of like the comma between images and making to be there.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 21:03
baggio wrote:

Tks for ur help/.

Japan is not a culture..
Japan is a country..

Clearly A,B,C are out.

We can say
Japan has a culture..
Japan has a system of X,Y and Z

between D and E

Japan's is a culture of A and C, a system of X,Y and Z

in D "makes" modify " a system"

E --> of a system is incorrect.

D is the best.

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 21:54
was struck b/w D and E. but Suresh's explanation has made things clear. Will go for D

Last edited by ritula on 22 Feb 2009, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2009, 22:08
Ritula....I guess you mean to say D....
ritula wrote:
was struck b/w D and E. but Suresh's explanation has made things clear. Will go for E
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 4

Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 03:12
I still have a doubt to choose b/w D & E.
Can anybody plz explain the following:

Why and????
We could have written it like this.
--- Japan's is a culture of accommodation,constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the

--- Whereas this seems me to be correct construction.Even if i remove 'of accommodation and constraint',i can still make a sentence.
--- Japan's is a culture-----------------------------, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 04:00
baggio wrote:

Tks for ur help/.

Although D is clearly the best choice here, I have 1 issue with D:

Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, AND a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the ever-present congestion tolerable

The sentence is discussing two things about Japan: Japan's culture of accommodation and constraint AND Japan's system of forms, etiquette, and images.

i.e. we need "AND"

Any thoughts on this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 05:13
x2suresh wrote:
baggio wrote:

Tks for ur help/.

Japan is not a culture..
Japan is a country..

Clearly A,B,C are out.

We can say
Japan has a culture..
Japan has a system of X,Y and Z

between D and E

Japan's is a culture of A and C, a system of X,Y and Z

in D "makes" modify " a system"

E --> of a system is incorrect.

D is the best.

I'm not sure whether calling Japan a culture is wrong. Also, as botivroy mentioned, an AND is needed in D just to make it grammatically correct. I think C is the best choice amongst all 5.
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 08:12
Thanks for pointing. I hv edited.
reply2spg wrote:
Ritula....I guess you mean to say D....
ritula wrote:
was struck b/w D and E. but Suresh's explanation has made things clear. Will go for E
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 19:06
well explained suresh. i have to go with D. I do not think "and" is necessary.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 21:25
D is the best, E is wrong because of which, which - non essential clause when that, these, those already convey the essential clause...

Also, we are talking about Japan's culture..not japan
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: SC_baggio(9) [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2009, 14:11
D is the best choice. I think we don't need and because we are comparing Japan's culture with the system.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 06:42
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 10

Re: Brutal #34 [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2009, 08:52
All seem to be incorrect.

I will go with C

Consider kudos for a good explanation

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal #34 [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2009, 07:55
On appearing on brutal thread is D.
All of the answer choices look incorrect to me too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal #34 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2009, 12:36
What's wrong with B?

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal #34 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 19:11
mendelay wrote:
What's wrong with B?

Posted from my mobile device Image

forms, etiquette, and images, which makes--subject verb agreement.

IMO "A". D also has subject verb agreement error
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Brutal #34 [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 19:39
kairoshan wrote:
34. Japan is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images, making its ever-present congestion tolerable.

Can't resist replying to a Q on Japan :)

IMO (D)

<--"its" predecessor is not clear"
(B) Japan, a culture of accommodation and constraint, is a system of forms, etiquette, and images, which makes its <--same as (A)
<--Japan is not a culture. It should be Japan's culture
(D) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, a system of forms, etiquette, and images that makes the <--a culture of <>, a system of <> parallel form
(E) Japan's is a culture of accommodation and constraint, of a system of forms, etiquette, and images which makes the <--a culture of a system of forms... sounds awkward and seems like changing the meaning of original

an edit on (A) reason
Re: Brutal #34   [#permalink] 30 Oct 2009, 19:39