Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 21:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 05:59
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:56) correct 41% (00:57) wrong based on 307 sessions
Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build a modern industrial system.

(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War and used it to help in building
(C) Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the Second World War to help build
(D) Japan’s huge sums of capital received from the United States after the Second World War were used to help it in building
(E) Receiving huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, Japan used it to help build

Please explain how you eliminated "the second best" option.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 22 Aug 2013, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
OA not provided
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 09:19
For this question ,i would go for E

while choosing this question, i also hesitated on A but i think E is better.

i think ,using it to help build a modern industrial system in A is ambiguous because i don't know for sure "who use". It might be the united state or JApan.

Therefore E is good for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 31 May 2004, 11:13
Hi there Serge, my fellow Ukrainian! Where are you from?

I believe C is the answer.

Cheers
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 00:00
Hi. my shot .. the best choice is B.

I shall explain when this is correct (which I hope is). :-D

Regards

Giving another SHOT

Last edited by carsen on 01 Jun 2004, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 00:38
carsen wrote:
Hi. my shot .. the best choice is B.

I shall explain when this is correct (which I heopfully is). :-D

Regards

"Help in building" sounds a little awkward especially when there is the better choice "help build." It would be viable if it were "in the building of..." Just my two cents :-D
Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 01:57
Do you think 'huge sums of money' plural or singular?

Except C, ABDE use huge sums of money with reference to 'it', whereas in C it clearly refers to Japan and C also avoids the use of pronoun 'it' that refers to huge sums of money.

IMHO, C is concise and clear....but who knows... : )

Last edited by aonie on 01 Jun 2004, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

[#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 03:18
Awkward SC.

Confused between B and C. Will go for (C) (Though it is awkward choice as well, but i guess best among the give.)
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GPA: 3.64
WE: Accounting (Accounting)

Kudos [?]: 70 [0], given: 78716

CAT Tests
 [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2004, 05:05
aonie wrote:
Do you think 'huge sums of money' plural or singular?

Except C, ABDE use huge sums of money with reference to 'it', whereas in C it clearly refers to Japan and C also avoids the use of pronoun 'it' that refers to huge sums of money.

IMHO, C is concise and clear....but who knows... : )

Thanks, your explanation helped. I completely missed "sums..it".

OA is C.
(AKA Lesser Evil ;-)

Serge from Kiev
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 7

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 09:30
Anyone? I also go for C. Isn't "Huge sums of capital" plural? therefore you can't really say "used it"
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [1] , given: 66

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 13:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TiredOfStudying wrote:
Anyone? I also go for C. Isn't "Huge sums of capital" plural? therefore you can't really say "used it"

Hi TiredOfStudying (hilarious name, btw). Yes the whole question here is the pronoun "it". The antecedent of "it" is ambiguous as it could be the money, Japan or the US. Answer choices A, B, D and E all have the confusing pronoun while C succinctly sums up the sentence nicely.

With pronouns, if you can find an answer choice that eliminates ambiguity by removing the pronoun entirely, it's likely your best bet.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-04-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 13

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 00:54
Serge wrote:
Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build a modern industrial system.

(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War and used it to help in building
(C) Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the Second World War to help build
(D) Japan’s huge sums of capital received from the United States after the Second World War were used to help it in building
(E) Receiving huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, Japan used it to help build

Please explain how you eliminated "the second best" option.

Answer should be C.

In options A,B,D,E reference of "it" is ambiguous.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 17

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 12:44
I think that "ambiguous" cant explain how other choices than C are incorrect.

In all choices except in C, 'it' is used incorrectly. 'it' cannot refers to 'capital' since it is the object of preposition 'of' and pronouns can refer to nouns or other pronouns. The other noun that 'it' logically can refer to is 'sums' but it is plural and needs ''them'' instead.

In choice D we have the agent of action, Japan, so the passive voice is unjustified here.
So just choice C is correct.

Hope my explanation clears up some ambiguities.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2014, 23:13
its B as C is changing the meaning
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2014, 03:21
Tested concepts: Pronoun ambiguity and Modifiers

In all the choices other than "C", "it" can refer to either huge sums of capital or the United States. The only answer choice that is unambiguous is "C"
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIMA

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 63

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 00:19

(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build (Here it belongs to 'sums'-plural -wrong )
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War and used it to help in building (Same as A)
(C) Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the Second World War to help build (Correct)

If you are not over prepared then you are under prepared !!!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2014, 10:53

Japan (S) + received (V) + sums of capital (O)
Pronoun it refers to Japan.

(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build – pronoun error ( sums cannot be it)
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War and used it to help in building – pronoun error ( sums cannot be it)
Correct (C) Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the Second World War to help build.
(D) Japan’s huge sums of capital received from the United States after the Second World War were used to help it in building - it does not have any ANTECEDENT.
(E) Receiving huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, Japan used it to help build – pronoun error
Re: Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States   [#permalink] 05 Sep 2014, 10:53