Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 20:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

JD/MBA Applicant - Only 3 years of Work Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

JD/MBA Applicant - Only 3 years of Work Experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 20:43
Hey guys,

I am thinking about applying to various JD/MBA programs (Duke, UMichigan, NYU, and UPenn specifically) but I only have 3 years of WE. I see on average most schools have 4 years of WE on average. I have pretty good stats (171 LSAT, 3.7 GPA, 720 GMAT) but I feel like I am lacking in the Work Experience category. As far as the MBA portion of admissions will having only 3 years of work experience hurt me when competing with other applicants with 4 or more years of WE on average? Any help/insight would be appreciated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 526 [0], given: 0

Re: JD/MBA Applicant - Only 3 years of Work Experience [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2012, 21:53
Count on most people being around the average +/- 1 year (middle 2/3rds) so you should be okay, assuming it's 3 years of quality experience.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Detail: MBA admissions help
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2000
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: JD/MBA Applicant - Only 3 years of Work Experience [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2012, 05:27
3 years of work experience is fine with a GPA as high as yours, as long as the experience shows progressively more responsibility and impact. you're correct in that it's fewer than the average, which will put the burden on you to craft essays that demonstrate maturity, judgment, and self reflection. you'll also need to prove how those few years were packed full of rich experience, so that it feels richer than the time frame.

it'd help to know what kind of job you've had during this time, but I'll leave that up to you to share or not.

hope that's helpful,
-james young

http://www.TheFirstRead.com
Former Kellogg adcom member, offering a new approach to MBA Admissions Consulting.

Re: JD/MBA Applicant - Only 3 years of Work Experience   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2012, 05:27