Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 06:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

JD/ MBA Questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2008, 18:31
*EDIT*

Last edited by johncoctostan on 14 Aug 2008, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 424 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 05:26
I have a similar question - what are the benefits of doing a JD/MBA ? What sort of career opportunities does it open up ? I mean MBA by itself can lead one to MC and IB roles - what added value can a JD provide ?

ps. I am an international student and the law school paths are slightly different to what they are at in the US.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2008, 08:40
johncoctostan wrote:
During my senior year of college I made the wise decision to postpone applying to law schools in favor of working for a few years. My plan was to save some money and get some experience, go to a top-tier law school, and work for a large firm doing corporate/ transactional law. Recently, I was accepted at a reputable T1 public law school in my home state with a near half-tuition scholarship. While I am really excited, I’m also very nervous about accepting it. I’m anxious because as I have talked to more and more current and former lawyers, I have found that I may have applied to law schools with a misperception of what the work and a career in law is really like. The attributes of law that originally motivated me to apply were: intellectually stimulating and diverse work, financial reward, job security, and prestige/ connections. What I have found in my conversations and independent research is that most students who join large firms as associates end up spending most of their 80 – 100 hour work weeks (I have no issues with long hours provided that I enjoy the work) doing tedious document review. Although the financial rewards and some degree of prestige are certainly there, many of them burn out and end up crossing over into careers in business after a few years. There is no way that I can know that I would enjoy practicing law as much or more than I would enjoy a career in business, and I’m worried about making a life-changing decision like this one without knowing.

My questions:

- Is a JD/ MBA worth the added investment of time and money for someone like me who fears that he/ she may not love practicing law enough to spend an entire career doing it? (The law school that I would most likely attend has a top 20/ trans-elite business program as well). I know that many companies are skeptical of joint-degree holders and law firms sometimes view JD/ MBAs as a flight risk.
- How difficult is it for someone to land a solid job in business after several years at a mid to large law firm? The business careers that I am most interested in are: management consulting and I-Banking -> PE. If I went to B-School, I might also consider positions in general management with consumer products companies.
- Assuming that I can achieve a high score on the GMAT (I scored in the high 90th percentile on the SAT and the high 80th to low 90th percentile on the LSAT), would I be a competitive applicant for business schools in one year? What would I need to do to become more competitive? FWIW, I had great extracurricular involvement in college but it has been limited to occasional volunteering since then.
- Recognizing my reservations, do you have a recommendation as to whether I should take the GMAT and pursue both degrees or just get one?

You might want to PM pelihu, he can probably provide the best piece of advice. In the meantime, I'll throw in my 2 cents:

I think you made an excellent decision by delaying your studies and working a few years. I think it's important to work to truly decide what you want to do. As most people say, the satisfaction level of bschool far surpasses that of law school. And one of the main contributors is that students go to law school b/c they don't know what else to do.

With that said, you should NOT go to law school unless you want to practice law. Sure, you hear of all these CEO's and consultants and IBers who all have JD's, but they're more the exception than the rule. Again, I can't emphasize enough, you go to law school to practice law. And don't have dreams of grandeur, where you're sitting on a high throne judging the arguments of lawyers in front of you. That's waaaaay down the road, if at all.

A lot of the lawyers who want to crossover realize a few things: They work just as hard as IBers, are usually just as smart, if not smarter (if they have the quant aptitude), but get paid way less than the people they are working for. I guess the trade-off would be job security.

Although a JD/MBA is impressive, one degree won't help your career with the other degree. Getting one degree is good enough to pursue the career in that respective field. I wouldn't get the additional degree as a back up. It doesn't make much sense, especially if getting a joint degree will hinder your chances of getting one great degree.

And no, a JD/MBA won't open any more doors that a JD can for law and an MBA can for business.
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 317 [0], given: 64

GMAT Tests User
Re: JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2008, 09:29
Expert's post
johncoctostan,

Kudos to you for asking these searching questions before you make a commitment that will be hard to back out of. I am not a career counselor, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. Is a JD/ MBA worth the added investment of time and money for someone like me who fears that he/ she may not love practicing law enough to spend an entire career doing it?

It sounds like the JD/MBA would be ideal for someone like yourself, who is not completely sold on a law career but is in a position to earn both degrees. Doing them together will save you some time and expense, and there's no question that a joint degree would broaden your choices. I think whatever "flight risk" employers might have would be more than mitigated by the greater scope of options available to you, especially if you earn your joint degrees at a good school. So assuming you have no problem with the cost or time commitment of a joint degree, it sounds like a worthwhile option for you.

2. - How difficult is it for someone to land a solid job in business after several years at a mid to large law firm? The business careers that I am most interested in are: management consulting and I-Banking -> PE. If I went to B-School, I might also consider positions in general management with consumer products companies.

Without the MBA, I think it would be very difficult for a JD to suddenly try to pop over into IB. Consultancies might take you as a nontraditional candidate, however. With JD/MBA, that kind of transition would of course be much easier.

3. - Assuming that I can achieve a high score on the GMAT (I scored in the high 90th percentile on the SAT and the high 80th to low 90th percentile on the LSAT), would I be a competitive applicant for business schools in one year? What would I need to do to become more competitive? FWIW, I had great extracurricular involvement in college but it has been limited to occasional volunteering since then.

You would be competitive at B schools if you can (a) explain convincingly to them why you need both degrees, (b) show them some success in a business environment, and (c) show them you have professional or nonprofessional leadership experience.

You seem to be the kind of person who would benefit from a joint degree and you also appear to have a shot at the joint degree program at your university, so my sense is that you may want to go for it. But I would need to know your profile and circumstances much more concretely to provide a confident recommendation.

Good luck,

Linda Abraham
Accepted
310-815-9553

Co-Author of: MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools

Follow Accepted on Twitter
Friend Accepted on Facebook
Subscribe to Accepted's Blog