Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Re: JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink]
Expert Reply
johncoctostan,

Kudos to you for asking these searching questions before you make a commitment that will be hard to back out of. I am not a career counselor, but I'll do my best to answer your questions.

1. Is a JD/ MBA worth the added investment of time and money for someone like me who fears that he/ she may not love practicing law enough to spend an entire career doing it?

It sounds like the JD/MBA would be ideal for someone like yourself, who is not completely sold on a law career but is in a position to earn both degrees. Doing them together will save you some time and expense, and there's no question that a joint degree would broaden your choices. I think whatever "flight risk" employers might have would be more than mitigated by the greater scope of options available to you, especially if you earn your joint degrees at a good school. So assuming you have no problem with the cost or time commitment of a joint degree, it sounds like a worthwhile option for you.

2. - How difficult is it for someone to land a solid job in business after several years at a mid to large law firm? The business careers that I am most interested in are: management consulting and I-Banking -> PE. If I went to B-School, I might also consider positions in general management with consumer products companies.

Without the MBA, I think it would be very difficult for a JD to suddenly try to pop over into IB. Consultancies might take you as a nontraditional candidate, however. With JD/MBA, that kind of transition would of course be much easier.

3. - Assuming that I can achieve a high score on the GMAT (I scored in the high 90th percentile on the SAT and the high 80th to low 90th percentile on the LSAT), would I be a competitive applicant for business schools in one year? What would I need to do to become more competitive? FWIW, I had great extracurricular involvement in college but it has been limited to occasional volunteering since then.

You would be competitive at B schools if you can (a) explain convincingly to them why you need both degrees, (b) show them some success in a business environment, and (c) show them you have professional or nonprofessional leadership experience.

You seem to be the kind of person who would benefit from a joint degree and you also appear to have a shot at the joint degree program at your university, so my sense is that you may want to go for it. But I would need to know your profile and circumstances much more concretely to provide a confident recommendation.

Good luck,
GMAT Club Bot
Re: JD/ MBA Questions [#permalink]