Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 288
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:16
Hi all,

I have a queastion about the Jeff Sackmann sets that hasn't already been posed in these forums (I've checked already).

So, I just bought the JSackmann Challenge sets and the Extreme Challenge set - the challenge sets are quite tough (haven't even touched the extreme one yet)... However I also have the MGMAT books (and have gone through all of them) - is it worth getting the JS Fundamentals sets as well or using the MGMAT end of chapter questions plus OG questions as the 'fundamentals' ? I'm very weak in quant and I need to get above 700 for my target schools... I'm tempted to have to work through all 1800 Jeff Sackman questions instead of the 1000 in the challenge sets, plus OG plus QReview but my exam is now scheduled for the first week of January. To get into Round 2 of my chosen schools in the UK I have to have it nailed by Jan 7... Will this give me enough time to work through all the questions?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [1] , given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:59
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I was in a very similiar situation a little over one year ago. The Manhattan math guides are quite good, but I didn't particularly care for their end-of-chapter questions. I'm in the minority on this one, though.

The OG is essential, but simply not enough. In the end, Jeff Sackmann's math problems saved me. My quant skills were quite awful. But with his math sets, as well as the GMATClub Tests, I dramatically improved my quant. Both of these sources, in my opinion, are fantastic.

Also, you may find this thread helpful: review-of-jeff-sackmann-s-math-sets-96973.html
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Nov 2009
Posts: 54
Location: United States
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 9

Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 06:20
If I had to buy ONLY 2-3 Jeff Sackmann books / guides which ones should I go for. Remember, each one is relatively expensive at $ 20 a pop.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 288
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 15:23
hey thanks bmillan01 - but do you feel I should be doing both fundamental and challenge sets or just the challenge sets are enough?

I agree the end of MGMAT chapters aren't great... I need far more practice to 'cement' each concept in my brain.

thanks
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 05:17
Expert's post
Sorry for not directly answering your questions sooner.

But for me, the fundamental sets, while mostly easy, really cemented the concepts at that level. This, in turn, allowed me to advance to the next level, and then to the Extreme Challenge Set. At that point, I was ready (more or less) for the GMATClub Tests. So, in my opinion, the fundemental sets were absolutely worth it.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 288
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2010, 06:31
cool thanks! and , last question I promise :) - this is quite important for me as I am planning to do the exam in 7 weeks (postponed it again :( due to quant. weakness) how long did it take you to do all the questions, and what was your plan of attack (study plan, hours each day on the questions etc.)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 05:48
Expert's post
No problem! Ask as many questions as you want. I will do my best to answer them. :)

It took me about two months to finish all of Sackmann's questions and the GMATClub tests, along with the OG math questions. I basically studied all day. At my peak, I could practice and review about 100 questions per day. It was rough, but I have no regrets. Also, make sure that you read every explanation thoroughly.

This method, however, may not be suited for you. Maybe you can do more, and maybe you cannot. Just find a plan that works for you and be persistent. Don't stop improving. Once you feel burnt out with questions, switch to re-reading the math guides. And once you are exhausted from reading, switch back to the questions. This was hell, but it was my only chance to score well. I literally had no other choice.

But I would also suggest that you start immediately, as in right now.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2010
Posts: 288
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT Date: 10-22-2011
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Internet and New Media)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 12

Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 06:26
yep alerady have started! I was thinking of doing every 2nd, or even every 3rd, question in each guide. This will cut the momentous 1800 questions down to 600, which on top of the 400 from OG and 150 + questions from the Q.Review, should be around 1000 questions, probably a lot more manageable in the shgort time frame.

Btw, how did you study verbal?

thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 321
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 07:38
I'm also reading some good reviews about Jeff Sackmann's books. What do you guys think about NOVA's GMAT prep for quant and verbal part?
_________________

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 08:22
I have his book, Total Gmat math, would you suggest buying the complete set of 1800, or just 1000 challenge set of questions. I have been away from math for a while, and really need to improve and get some practice.
_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 12:46
Expert's post
n2739178 wrote:
yep alerady have started! I was thinking of doing every 2nd, or even every 3rd, question in each guide. This will cut the momentous 1800 questions down to 600, which on top of the 400 from OG and 150 + questions from the Q.Review, should be around 1000 questions, probably a lot more manageable in the shgort time frame.

Btw, how did you study verbal?

thanks


While 1000 questions sounds great, try to push yourself to the limit. You might be surprised at how far you can go. For verbal, I used the Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, and Powerscore RC. For question practice, the OG is essential. I also used the LSAT SuperPrep, which is a decent source. Read each explanation carefully. The GMATClub forums, of course, have many good verbal questions. Try to answer those and defend your choice with a solid explanation. That helps quite a bit.

rg1 wrote:
I'm also reading some good reviews about Jeff Sackmann's books. What do you guys think about NOVA's GMAT prep for quant and verbal part?


I don't know much about Nova. It doesn't receive that much coverage, so maybe the Manhattan math series is a safer bet. Still, if my memory is correct, bb stated that Nova had some decent stuff.

Bigred2008 wrote:
I have his book, Total Gmat math, would you suggest buying the complete set of 1800, or just 1000 challenge set of questions. I have been away from math for a while, and really need to improve and get some practice.


It depends on where you stand in terms of quant performance. If you score somewhere in the 600-level for quant, then the challenges sets should be a good place to start. If you really need to start from the basics, then look for the fundamental sets. If you're a quant superstar, then focus on the GMATClub Tests and Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set.



Good luck, everyone! :-D
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 13:13
Thank you for your response, my goal is a 720+(need to make up for undergrad follies), I am currently in the 600 range. I am actually in a very similar boat that you were when you took the GMAT. I started miserable, and am currently slogging through quant. So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?
_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 321
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 14:52
Thanks @bmillan01. I finished MGMAT books and felt that I need more questions targeted practice. I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.
_________________

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 15:12
Expert's post
Bigred2008 wrote:
So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?

I wouldn't fix it as a rule, but that's the general idea. Once you feel comfortable with Sackmann and the OG, then it's time for the GMATClub Tests. But don't understimate those! They are super tough. I would spend hours on each test.

After some time, you should be able to find a way to cover the maximum amount of questions in least amount of time. In other words, maybe you'll be ready for the GMATClub Tests sooner than expected. In that case, you can use both resources alongside one another. That's what I did toward the end.

rg1 wrote:
I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.

Interesting. When you're finished with that book, please consider posting a review on it.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 321
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [1] , given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2010, 19:21
1
This post received
KUDOS
Sure. I'll post my review.
_________________

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:06
Thank you, I have a question for you. What did you use for number properties? I am doing well with equations and geometry. But Number properties have thrown me for a loop, any suggestions?

bmillan01 wrote:
Bigred2008 wrote:
So after the 1000 challenge question, the idea is to move onto the GMATCLUB math?

I wouldn't fix it as a rule, but that's the general idea. Once you feel comfortable with Sackmann and the OG, then it's time for the GMATClub Tests. But don't understimate those! They are super tough. I would spend hours on each test.

After some time, you should be able to find a way to cover the maximum amount of questions in least amount of time. In other words, maybe you'll be ready for the GMATClub Tests sooner than expected. In that case, you can use both resources alongside one another. That's what I did toward the end.

rg1 wrote:
I'll complete NOVA GMAT Prep ( because I bought it:) ) and move on to other material.

Interesting. When you're finished with that book, please consider posting a review on it.

_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 321
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:22
MGMAT number properties guide is pretty thorough. I would suggest MGMAT book first.
Check this out too.
gmat-math-book-87417.html
_________________

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2009
Posts: 48
Location: United States (AL)
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 2.4
WE: Business Development (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 30

Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 09:26
Thanks, I should have mentioned I have read through MGMAT twice. I will check out the link, thanks.

rg1 wrote:
MGMAT number properties guide is pretty thorough. I would suggest MGMAT book first.
Check this out too.
gmat-math-book-87417.html

_________________

"Popular opinion is the greatest lie in the world"-Thomas Carlyle

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 321
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2010, 11:32
I think bmillan01 or bunel will be able to provide correct information. Check out this link.
best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html?highlight=ml307
_________________

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Sep 2010
Posts: 216
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GPA: 3.59
WE: Corporate Finance (Entertainment and Sports)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 33

Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set? [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2010, 21:27
How was Powerscore Critical Reasoning? I'm using MGMAT right now. I'm alright with CR, but have difficulty with 700 level questions for that area.

Did Powerscore CR push you over the hump?

bmillan01 wrote:
n2739178 wrote:
yep alerady have started! I was thinking of doing every 2nd, or even every 3rd, question in each guide. This will cut the momentous 1800 questions down to 600, which on top of the 400 from OG and 150 + questions from the Q.Review, should be around 1000 questions, probably a lot more manageable in the shgort time frame.

Btw, how did you study verbal?

thanks


While 1000 questions sounds great, try to push yourself to the limit. You might be surprised at how far you can go. For verbal, I used the Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR, and Powerscore RC. For question practice, the OG is essential. I also used the LSAT SuperPrep, which is a decent source. Read each explanation carefully. The GMATClub forums, of course, have many good verbal questions. Try to answer those and defend your choice with a solid explanation. That helps quite a bit.

rg1 wrote:
I'm also reading some good reviews about Jeff Sackmann's books. What do you guys think about NOVA's GMAT prep for quant and verbal part?


I don't know much about Nova. It doesn't receive that much coverage, so maybe the Manhattan math series is a safer bet. Still, if my memory is correct, bb stated that Nova had some decent stuff.

Bigred2008 wrote:
I have his book, Total Gmat math, would you suggest buying the complete set of 1800, or just 1000 challenge set of questions. I have been away from math for a while, and really need to improve and get some practice.


It depends on where you stand in terms of quant performance. If you score somewhere in the 600-level for quant, then the challenges sets should be a good place to start. If you really need to start from the basics, then look for the fundamental sets. If you're a quant superstar, then focus on the GMATClub Tests and Sackmann's Extreme Challenge set.



Good luck, everyone! :-D
Re: Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set?   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2010, 21:27
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Jeff Sackman Challenge sets sammy04 0 25 Jun 2014, 22:38
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Difficulty of Jeff Sackmann's Challenge Sets Skientist 5 29 Oct 2012, 06:53
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Jeff Sackmann Challenge Sets vs MGMAT Advanced book? crackmba2012 4 21 Sep 2012, 06:47
Sackman Gmat Math Challenge and Gmat Math Fundamentals. OldMinolta 0 19 Jun 2011, 18:17
6 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Club Tests vs. Jeff Sackmann's Extreme Sets markbrown525 22 28 Jun 2010, 23:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Jeff Sackman Challenge Set vs. Fundamentals Set?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.