Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 07:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 353 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 10:19
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

54% (02:53) correct 46% (01:42) wrong based on 239 sessions
Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the rising cost of raw copper,
nickel, and zinc has pushed the cost of manufacturing each penny and nickel to more than 1
cent and 5 cents respectively. In addition, there are very few, if any, items that can be
purchased for 5 cents, and virtually none that can be purchased for a penny. Since it appears
that both the penny and the nickel no longer provide a necessary function in today’s
economy, I propose that the government simply stop minting the coins at a loss and declare
the base unit of U.S. currency to be the dime.
Mary: Don’t be silly. This would mean that all prices would round up to the nearest dime
and nobody would go for that. There is simply no way that Congress would approve, much
less consider, such an unpopular measure. In her response to Jim, Mary does all of the
following EXCEPT:
A) Makes an assumption about how Jim’s proposal would affect prices.
b) Implies that Congressional approval is necessary for Jim’s proposal to take effect.
c) Provides a reason why Jim’s proposal would be difficult to implement, regardless of its
justification.
d) Assumes that Congress will never approve a policy that has little public support.
e) Attempts to undermine all or some of the premises upon which Jim justifies his proposal.

Main CR Qs link - cr-qs-600-700-level-131508.html
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: Q47 V35
GPA: 3.86
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 18

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2012, 12:43
At first glance I was tempted to pick answer C; however, when I read it more carefully I realized that she did provide support why it would be difficult to implement the strategy proposed by Jim. However, Mary doesn't attempt to prove any of Jim's premises (too expensive to manufacture pennies & nickles, nothing is priced at a penny/nickel...) wrong; therefore, E it is.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 274

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: CR [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2013, 09:48
sofiak1985mailru wrote:
At first glance I was tempted to pick answer C; however, when I read it more carefully I realized that she did provide support why it would be difficult to implement the strategy proposed by Jim. However, Mary doesn't attempt to prove any of Jim's premises (too expensive to manufacture pennies & nickles, nothing is priced at a penny/nickel...) wrong; therefore, E it is.

Me too, I was between C and E but choce C because choice E said that she undermines some or all, and she did in fact undermine some of Jim's assumptions or did she not?

I leave it to you
Cheers!
J :)

Kudos = Thanks
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Accounting, International Business
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 19

Re: CR [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 04:17
jlgdr wrote:
sofiak1985mailru wrote:

Me too, I was between C and E but choce C because choice E said that she undermines some or all, and she did in fact undermine some of Jim's assumptions or did she not?

I leave it to you
Cheers!
J :)

Kudos = Thanks

E it is because she does not undermine the premises Jon made which are the rising prices of zinc and nickel and so on. She then undermines Jon's conclusion.

Hope it's clear.

Greets!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '16, IIMA (M)
GPA: 4
WE: Human Resources (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 47

Re: Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2014, 05:02
This post received
KUDOS
Jim: premise 1. The United States Mint has recently announced that the rising cost of raw copper,nickel, and zinc has pushed the cost of manufacturing each penny and nickel to more than 1 cent and 5 cents respectively.
premise.2. In addition, there are very few, if any, items that can be purchased for 5 cents, and virtually none that can be purchased for a penny.
premise 3. It appears that both the penny and the nickel no longer provide a necessary function in today’s economy.

CONCLUSION...- I propose that the government simply stop minting the coins at a loss and declare the base unit of U.S. currency to be the dime.

Mary: PREMISE 1. This would mean that all prices would round up to the nearest dime and nobody would go for that.

PREMISE 2. There is simply no way that Congress would approve, much less consider, such an unpopular measure.
CONCLUSION- Don’t be silly.

In her response to Jim, Mary does all of the following EXCEPT:
A) Makes an assumption about how Jim’s proposal would affect prices.... NO...SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 1...
b) Implies that Congressional approval is necessary for Jim’s proposal to take effect... NO..SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2...
c) Provides a reason why Jim’s proposal would be difficult to implement, regardless of its justification... NO.SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2[color=#ed1c24]
d) Assumes that Congress will never approve a policy that has little public support.....[color=#ed1c24]. NO...SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2....

e) Attempts to undermine all or some of the premises upon which Jim justifies his proposal.... CORRECT ANSWER...NOWHERE HAS SHE QUESTIONED OR UNDERMINED JIM'S PREMISES( SEE ABOVE)....

Kudos = Thanks
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 10:24
semwal wrote:
Jim: premise 1. The United States Mint has recently announced that the rising cost of raw copper,nickel, and zinc has pushed the cost of manufacturing each penny and nickel to more than 1 cent and 5 cents respectively.
premise.2. In addition, there are very few, if any, items that can be purchased for 5 cents, and virtually none that can be purchased for a penny.
premise 3. It appears that both the penny and the nickel no longer provide a necessary function in today’s economy.

CONCLUSION...- I propose that the government simply stop minting the coins at a loss and declare the base unit of U.S. currency to be the dime.

Mary: PREMISE 1. This would mean that all prices would round up to the nearest dime and nobody would go for that.

PREMISE 2. There is simply no way that Congress would approve, much less consider, such an unpopular measure.

A) Makes an assumption about how Jim’s proposal would affect prices.... NO...SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 1...
b) Implies that Congressional approval is necessary for Jim’s proposal to take effect... NO..SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2...
c) Provides a reason why Jim’s proposal would be difficult to implement, regardless of its justification... NO.SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2[color=#ed1c24]
d) Assumes that Congress will never approve a policy that has little public support.....[color=#ed1c24]. NO...SHE DOES THIS...SEE MARY'S PREMISE 2....

e) Attempts to undermine all or some of the premises upon which Jim justifies his proposal.... CORRECT ANSWER...NOWHERE HAS SHE QUESTIONED OR UNDERMINED JIM'S PREMISES( SEE ABOVE)....

Kudos = Thanks

On option C, the bit that I am still not convinced about is the word "difficult", Mary says Congress just "WON'T" approve it.
Hence it will not be "difficult" to implement but "impossible" to implement.

So Mary didn't suggest it will be difficult to implement

Though it can be argued that may be there is some other way to get a proposal approved, may be outside of congress which is much more difficult, but that is Out of scope discussion as the passage doesn't provide any such information.

PS: I am convinced that E is the correct but equally convinced with C as well based on above explanation.

Thoughts?

I would rather "crash and burn" than "sulk and cry"!!

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 35

Re: Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2014, 10:33
semwal wrote:

Kudos = Thanks

On option C, the bit that I am still not convinced about is the word "difficult", Mary says Congress just "WON'T" approve it.
Hence it will not be "difficult" to implement but "impossible" to implement.

So Mary didn't suggest it will be difficult to implement

Though it can be argued that may be there is some other way to get a proposal approved, may be outside of congress which is much more difficult, but that is Out of scope discussion as the passage doesn't provide any such information.

PS: I am convinced that E is the correct answer but equally convinced with C as well based on above explanation.

Thoughts?

Regards,
Sagar

I would rather "crash and burn" than "sulk and cry"!!

Re: Jim: The United States Mint has recently announced that the   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2014, 10:33