Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Nov 2014, 20:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 718

Kudos [?]: 3292 [2] , given: 942

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 22:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:40) correct 29% (00:51) wrong based on 195 sessions
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again
(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again
(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3292 [2] , given: 942

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now lets look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence.
o to make it correct we use the construction:
Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 48

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 01:00
This post received
KUDOS
souvik101990 wrote:
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

I will go with {C}

(A) presents a List - "kind of composer who receives X, often goes Y, and never regains Z. But the sentence wants to show how the popularity of such composers decline after their death.
(B) whose referring to what?
(D) creates parallel list by using "who" - not required, we need to show contrast of what happens when the composer is alive and what happens after his death.
(E) then has declined - What has declined?

Giving Kudos, is a great Way to Help the GC Community Kudos

Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 1780 [4] , given: 249

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 04:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The first split is going to be on redundancy. Regain and again do not go together. So, let’s remove A, B and D.
Second, between C and E, E distorts the meaning saying that the composer has declined, and never regained his popularity, especially after death. Can a dead person decline and regain? But the intended meaning is that the reputation declines and never regains its earlier status. Hence C.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 942

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 07:43
Expert's post
daagh wrote:
The first split is going to be on redundancy. Regain and again do not go together. So, let’s remove A, B and D.
Second, between C and E, E distorts the meaning saying that the composer has declined, and never regained his popularity, especially after death. Can a dead person decline and regain? But the intended meaning is that the reputation declines and never regains its earlier status. Hence C.

I wish I could post multiple kudos for your posts!
Your verbal explanations are among the best in the forum.
Cheers.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1328

Kudos [?]: 3799 [1] , given: 192

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 09:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
We have covered this sentence in our article "Alien word not so alien". This sentence is easy if you pay attention to meaning:

alien-words-not-so-alien-136331.html

Here is the explanation:

Let me just compare the correct answer choice (C) with the original answer choice (A):
A. often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again
C. but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

The first thing to notice here is that Choice C has far many new words than Choice A. These words are “but, whose, reputation, former, status”. Yet, this choice is the correct answer.
Now let’s analyze both these answer choices from meaning standpoint to better understand the role of the alien words in choice C.

Choice A: Per this choice, the sentence says that a certain kind of composer gains popularity while alive, declines after death and never regains his popularity. This meaning just does not make sense because once the composer has died, he cannot decline any further. This choice conveys absolutely illogical meaning.

Choice C: Per this answer choice, a certain kind of composer gains popularity when alive, but after death, his reputation declines and it never regains its previous status. Indeed. This answer choice makes all the sense and hence is the correct answer choice.

Look at the article to see some other examples that test this concept.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
Followers: 331

Kudos [?]: 2782 [0], given: 704

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2012, 12:36
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:

here we have a clear example how the gmat now has a major stress on meaning, eliminating words that change the meaning of the sentence.

Focus on the word: reputation. this word is the key point because makes sense to us of what is before (the composers are popular during their life) and what happens after their death (decline of reputation)

1) wrong: lack of this key word

Now I use one of the strategy I love the most (kaplan): one you have eliminated A compare 2 sentence at time, in this scenario: B and C. This one is useful in particular now that gmat use sentences with no clear split among the choices, with an increase of difficulty.

2) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again

3) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

Notice the lack of conjunction in 2 BUT and status again VS former status. here the meaning tends to a former status because we have a previous status (fame), then a lower status (after death). Moreover, in 2 we have regains and after gains, redundant. Hold 3 for now

4) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again.

here the underlined portion starts with WHO and you suddenly must be think what : ehi we have already WHO before, in the non-underlined portion. As soon as you see somethings like this you can eliminate the answer. We do not care about implication, why could be wrong or right, up and down...........no way. WRONG no matter what

5) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity.

Often, in gmat land, certain kind of answer are impossible, with a lack of sense, regardless.

C) is the answer

As you can see i always try to follow one of the most usefull instruction of Ron from MGMAT: be flexible. If you haven't a split, switch strategy as soon as, or viceversa......you know ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 3292 [0], given: 942

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2012, 23:36
Expert's post
Concept tested: Redundancy, preposition, parallelism, modifiers.
Difficulty: 700
Illustration: Carefully examine the following sentence
My sister, who is a teenager, and whose street play was appreciated by all, won the local talent award yesterday.
This is a perfectly correct sentence as “who is a teenager” and “whose street play was appreciated by all” both modifier the subject “My sister”.

Now lets look at the options.
A is wrong because the composer does not go into decline after his or her death, but his or her reputation does.
B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”.
D and E are wrong for the same reason we eliminated A i.e the composer himself does not go into decline after death.
C is correct (option C breaks the FANBOYS rule, which a lot of prep companies advocate to eliminate answer choices. Please see below for clarification.).

Tip:
A lot of prep companies adopt the rule of FANBOYS which says
Independent clause, independent clause is a run on sentence.
o to make it correct we use the construction:
Independent clause, FANBOYS independent clause; FANBOYS stands for “For, And, Not, But, Or, Yet, So”.
However, the converse is not necessarily true. Two clauses separated by comma and FANBOYS do not necessarily mean they need to be independent clauses.
E.g My brother loves to drive so fast that his co passengers often fear being headlined in the newspapers the following day, and hates to wear seat-belts.
The sentence without the punctuation would become haywire.
Also, the punctuation rules are not tested on the GMAT.

My GMAT Resources

My MBA Resources

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 89

Kudos [?]: 598 [0], given: 109

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2012, 22:21
Expert's post
daagh wrote:

Indeed very compact and solid analysis 'daagh'...Kudos... :)

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 00:10
Expert's post
Thanks e-GMAT/Souvik for wonderful explanations.

But guys I've a bit confusion over option B and C :

@souvik,you mentioned that B is incorrect because it uses redundant construction “regains its status again”. Very true.
Apart from this error, I think another discrepancy in this option B is when we try to fit this option with the rest of the sentence,it doesn't get to fine as 'whose' doesn't get the subject it refers to.Had the original sentence used ',' (comma) after 'the kind of composer' (i.e. the kind of composer,who receives popular acclaim while living,whose...) then the first part of the whole sentence would have been proper.This same goes for 'C' also I guess.
Moreover the B uses 'regain'-'again'...It's redundant. But,I think the another redundancy goes with C also... i.e. 'regains its former status'. One will regain ONLY something that one was already associated with some time in the past.. hence, something which is 'former'.' So don't you think use of 'former' is NOT required with 'regain' hence redundant.

Please help me understand this guys...

e-GMAT/Souvik ,if you can come with the resolution.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1328

Kudos [?]: 3799 [1] , given: 192

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2012, 15:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi debayan,

You ask very valid questions. Let me give answer to both your questions here.

Choice B: whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again.

There is no problem with the reference of “whose” here. Just like “who”, “whose” also refers to “the kind of composer”. Look at this simple sentence:

The man with white hat is my uncle who has three yachts, and whose brewery is famous nationwide.

In the very same, in the official choice B, “whose” clearly refers to “the kind of composer” without any ambiguity. Now “who” is a relative pronoun that may be preceded by a comma or may not be preceded by one. Presence of comma does not affect its modification or of any other parallel entity in the list.

However, there is something else happening in Choice B. Notice that the subject “reputation” has two verbs “declines” and “regains”. These two verbs are correctly joined by “and”. This construction makes entire choice be the second entity in the parallel list, the first being “who often receives…”. Now since there are just two entities in the list per choice B, there should be a marker between the two entities, i. e. before “whose”. But there is no marker. This is another error.

Now let’s take a look at the use “former” in choice C: but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

Use of former suggests that after death, certain kind of composer does not enjoy that level of popularity that he/she enjoyed while alive. It’s not that he/she loses all the popularity. He/ she retains some popularity but not that popularity that he/she enjoyed when he/she was alive.

Hope this helps. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 10:42
Expert's post
Hi Shraddha,
Thanks for this great analysis again...

It's clear to me now..and I must say that it was a really critical one. It would be great if you can post some of these for the club..

On the basis of the last paragraph of your reply above, can I consider that there is no hard and fast rule that 'regain' will never go with 'former' unlike 'regain'-'again'...?And the use of 'regain'-'former' is broadly based on the context..!

Please share your thoughts..!

CEO
CEO
Followers: 310

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 05:35
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 05:35