Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 09:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 05:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (01:54) correct 29% (01:01) wrong based on 859 sessions
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

(A) often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again

(B) whose reputation declines after death and never regains its status again

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

(E) then has declined in reputation after death and never regained popularity
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 06:04
I like C.

Contrast is clearly shown between the time when the composers live and the time after their death.
5 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 102 [5] , given: 13

Re: SC - Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer (OG11) [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
pau.sabria wrote:
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living, often goes into decline after death, and never regains popularity again.

regains popularity again is redundant usage. Also, once the composer is dead, he cannot often go into decline!

... regain again is redundant usage again

(C) but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

(D) who declines in reputation after death and who never regained popularity again

declines in reputation seems awkward; regained is in the wrong tense

has declined in reputation after death is awkward - present perfect is not required here

I think C uses the coordinate conjunction but preceded by a comma correctly; C creates two independent clauses properly contrasted by the use of BUT that creates the desired effect of the statement - the kind of composer WHO receives popular acclaim while living, BUT whose (points to the composer properly) reputation declines after death and never regains its former status
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 07:29
This post received
KUDOS
I will go with C as well. The use of "but" makes the sentence more meanigful.

Regards

Subhen

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

[#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
OA is C.

Thanks to you all.

However, official explanation says:

(B) The two clauses are not parallel, lack of coordinating conjunction, and do not describe the same thing; reduntant again.

(C) Correct. This sentence presents the proper logic while maintaining parallel structure and consistent verb tense.

Can anybody explain me why (B) is not describing the same thing and (C) is?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

Re: SC - Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer (OG11) [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2008, 17:31
i think the only error with B is "regain ... again"
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer (OG11) [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2010, 00:45
dwivedys wrote:
pau.sabria wrote:

regains popularity again is redundant usage. Also, once the composer is dead, he cannot often go into decline!

... regain again is redundant usage again

declines in reputation seems awkward; regained is in the wrong tense

has declined in reputation after death is awkward - present perfect is not required here

I think C uses the coordinate conjunction but preceded by a comma correctly; C creates two independent clauses properly contrasted by the use of BUT that creates the desired effect of the statement - the kind of composer WHO receives popular acclaim while living, BUT whose (points to the composer properly) reputation declines after death and never regains its former status

tks for your detailed explanation! It helps me a lot!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Other)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 23

Reviews Badge
Re: SC - Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer (OG11) [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 04:15
Besides option C no other option uses a fitting contrasting word (which is required to have emphasis on different parts of life of such composers)

My GMAT Journey 540->680->730!

~ When the going gets tough, the Tough gets going!

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 21:43
use of contrasting word 'but' is very crucial here. rest of mostly have wrong modifications

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 23

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 02:19
I'd also go with C. Obviously the composer doesn't decline after death, but his reputation does. But stresses the change in the reputation from life to the time after death.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Schools: University of Dhaka - Class of 2010
GMAT 1: Q0 V0
GPA: 3.63
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 565 [0], given: 182

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 21:03
I am not clear about the referent of "Its". Pls help me in this regard. Thanks

Practice Makes a Man Perfect. Practice. Practice. Practice......Perfectly

Critical Reasoning: best-critical-reasoning-shortcuts-notes-tips-91280.html

Collections of MGMAT CAT: collections-of-mgmat-cat-math-152750.html

MGMAT SC SUMMARY: mgmat-sc-summary-of-fourth-edition-152753.html

Sentence Correction: sentence-correction-strategies-and-notes-91218.html

Arithmatic & Algebra: arithmatic-algebra-93678.html

Helpful Geometry formula sheet: best-geometry-93676.html

I hope these will help to understand the basic concepts & strategies. Please Click ON KUDOS Button.

Current Student
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 41

Re: [#permalink] New post 04 Sep 2013, 21:37
pau.sabria wrote:
OA is C.

Thanks to you all.

(B) The two clauses are not parallel, lack of coordinating conjunction, and do not describe the same thing; reduntant again.

(C) Correct. This sentence presents the proper logic while maintaining parallel structure and consistent verb tense.

"Do not describe the same thing" refers to the fact that the two clauses are joined by "and" which is a coordinating conjunction, but the two clauses do not describe two "situations"/actions which are similiar, but rather different at least in time... so the two clauses need a subordinate conj...

Hope this helps. If so please kudos...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2014, 00:04
What is the subject of this sentence?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 02:38
Hi,
Here we are looking for parallelism between 'receives' and 'reputation declines and regains'.
Rule of FANBOYS says : IC , FANBOY , IC
here in correct choice C there is no IC in second clause. C choice is : 'but whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status.'
here structure is :
Joachim....living(IC) ,But (FANBOY) whose...status(DC).
here whose indicates DC clause,but we need a IC. Then how it is correct?
Due to this I feel B is better though it has regain and again in same sentence which can be an error.
Please highlight.
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3664 [4] , given: 185

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Karan,

You are looking for three parallel items on a single list, but according to the meaning of the sentence, the three items can't be part of the same list, because the first item refers to the composer whereas the next two items refer to the composer's reputation. So, it doesn't make logical sense to place all three as part of the same list, and we need two separate clauses here. (Also, even if we take all three items to be part of a single list, we still can't identify option B as correct because the third item is not an IC even in option B. In this option, the last item is "never regains", so there's no subject that can be parallel to "who" and "whose reputation".)

So, as option C correctly shows, we need the conjunction "but" to create a new clause that is about the composer's reputation (not the composer). Then, we need "and" to join the verbs "declines" and "regains".

So, option C is fine. Note that the 'comma + conjunction + independent clause' structure is not always applicable, so follow the logic and the intended meaning of the sentence at all times.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 10:52
egmat wrote:
Hi Karan,

You are looking for three parallel items on a single list, but according to the meaning of the sentence, the three items can't be part of the same list, because the first item refers to the composer whereas the next two items refer to the composer's reputation. So, it doesn't make logical sense to place all three as part of the same list, and we need two separate clauses here. (Also, even if we take all three items to be part of a single list, we still can't identify option B as correct because the third item is not an IC even in option B. In this option, the last item is "never regains", so there's no subject that can be parallel to "who" and "whose reputation".)

So, as option C correctly shows, we need the conjunction "but" to create a new clause that is about the composer's reputation (not the composer). Then, we need "and" to join the verbs "declines" and "regains".

So, option C is fine. Note that the 'comma + conjunction + independent clause' structure is not always applicable, so follow the logic and the intended meaning of the sentence at all times.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

Thanks Meghna. for explanation ..

If option B is stated in such manner:
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living and whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status ..

Is this sentence right ..
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3664 [0], given: 185

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2014, 11:08
Expert's post
rahultripathi2005 wrote:
Thanks Meghna. for explanation ..

If option B is stated in such manner:
Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind of composer who receives popular acclaim while living and whose reputation declines after death and never regains its former status ..

Is this sentence right ..

You're welcome. :-)

This version is better than the existing option, but the contrast between the acclaim and the decline in popularity is better expressed through "but" rather than "and".

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 10

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2014, 03:45
I crossed C off the list because I don't understand how a reputation can regain a status. A reputation can be regained by an object, but how does a reputation regain status. In my mind it is not an object that can 'do' anything.

Is Joachim Raff's reputation also going to take a dog for a walk? Perhaps it can do my dishes.

I didn't like choice A, with 'regains popularity again' repeating the 'again' - however I felt that was less of an issue than reputation regaining a status.

Frustrated with this question and my confusion.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 09:29
pau.sabria wrote:
OA is C.

Thanks to you all.

B is redundant.

regains its status again

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 22:36
what is the question Number in OG13?

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Joachim Raff and Giacomo Meyerbeer are examples of the kind   [#permalink] 26 Apr 2014, 22:36