Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 08:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 12:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

100% (02:43) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turened the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of New Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

B) persuaded charles VII of France in claiming his throne.

C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France.

D) persudaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim his throne.

Initially I chose C because i thought that persuading should be parallel with liberating. Because i thought those were the reasons why she turned the tide. I did not realize that persuaded and turned should be parallel because they are independent. So my question is how do y ou know which one should be parallel? thanks
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 12:48
D is Correct...

maintains || who claimed....who persuaded....
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 12:50
At first glance. I too thought C was the best choice. But then, persuade that sounds strange. Persuade sb. to do sth. sounds more natural.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 13:06
The author tells us something about an historical character, who has done something in the past and the action is completed. So the past tense is appropriate.

--> claimed .... turned ... persuaded
the is no need to repeat the subject of the sentence "she" otherwise it would have to be seperated by a comma.

this eliminates A, C, and E

The only differenc between B and D is "in claiming" and "to claim"
persuaded to claim is idiomatic, hence D
SVP
SVP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: OG # 173 SC [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 21:14
joemama142000 wrote:
Joan of Arc, a young Frenchwoman who claimed to be divinely inspired, turened the tide of English victories in her country by liberating the city of New Orleans and she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

A) she persuaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

B) persuaded charles VII of France in claiming his throne.

C) persuading that the throne be claimed by Charles VII of France.

D) persudaded Charles VII of France to claim his throne.

E) persuading that Charles VII of France should claim his throne.

Initially I chose C because i thought that persuading should be parallel with liberating. Because i thought those were the reasons why she turned the tide. I did not realize that persuaded and turned should be parallel because they are independent. So my question is how do y ou know which one should be parallel? thanks

Yes, C is such a sweet trap in which you may, with too prompt consideration, fall coz "persuding" seems to be parallel with "liberating" and also persuading that .......be looks subjunctively correct .

I think the good way to tell which is parallel to which is to carefully understand the meaning of the original sentence.
For example, this sentence, how can we say she turned the tide of victories by persuading the king to claim throne?! Claiming throne can only be the aftermaths of liberation.
Re: OG # 173 SC   [#permalink] 25 Oct 2005, 21:14