Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 7

Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2013, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

30% (02:34) correct 70% (02:01) wrong based on 590 sessions
Hi,

I got this question in MGMAT CAT's. And i am quite perplexed at the answer choice.Can someone tell me how to arrrive at the asnwer choice.I didnt understand the solution.Thanks

Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow customers to create “wish lists” of items they would like to receive as gifts. Such lists are certainly useful, but these retailers should also explore other ways to suggest gift purchases for these customers. In particular, without revealing the specifics of a customer's purchase history, a website could quickly analyze a retailer's entire inventory, select a list of items similar to those the customer has already purchased, and then e-mail that list to a group of contacts specified by the customer. Such a system would suggest gifts that, because of their similarity to the customer's prior purchases, would be extremely likely to appeal to the customer. In the argument, Joanne assumes that the hypothetical customers

(A) are familiar with most or all of the items in stock on the websites where they shop
(B) would prefer novel gifts that are unlike the items they currently own
(C) do not use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts
(D) would be relatively unconcerned if their retail purchase histories were available to others
(E) prefer online shopping to shopping in physical retail stores
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 18

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 00:13
This post received
KUDOS
I am convinced with the OA. :)

Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow customers to create “wish lists” of items they would like to receive as gifts. Such lists are certainly useful, but these retailers should also explore other ways to suggest gift purchases for these customers. In particular, without revealing the specifics of a customer's purchase history, a website could quickly analyze a retailer's entire inventory, select a list of items similar to those the customer has already purchased, and then e-mail that list to a group of contacts specified by the customer. Such a system would suggest gifts that, because of their similarity to the customer's prior purchases, would be extremely likely to appeal to the customer. In the argument, Joanne assumes that the hypothetical customers

(A) are familiar with most or all of the items in stock on the websites where they shop Familiarity of the customers with all the items in the stock is not relevant to the success of the new plan.
(B) would prefer novel gifts that are unlike the items they currently own The plan is not concerned with the items that are unlike those they own.
(C) do not use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts Yes. If customers do not use online websites to purchase gifts their plan will most likely not succeed.
(D) would be relatively unconcerned if their retail purchase histories were available to others Whether they are concerned or not, the new plan is not going to reveal the puschase history of any customer to others.
(E) prefer online shopping to shopping in physical retail stores Close enough. But talks about shopping in general. C is more straight forward since it tells about purchasing of gifts.

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 7

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 00:43
The Question is asking that for the plan to succeed what is the assumption made.I feel the same that if the customer don't use the retail websites,then the whole arguement will fall through.But the answer choice says the entire opposite.It says for the plan to succeed , the assumption made is that the customers don't use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts.I m a little confused here.If they dont use online shopping then how will the retailers know about the wishlists ?

cssk wrote:
I am convinced with the OA. :)

(A) are familiar with most or all of the items in stock on the websites where they shop Familiarity of the customers with all the items in the stock is not relevant to the success of the new plan.
(B) would prefer novel gifts that are unlike the items they currently own The plan is not concerned with the items that are unlike those they own.
(C) do not use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts Yes. If customers do not use online websites to purchase gifts their plan will most likely not succeed.
(D) would be relatively unconcerned if their retail purchase histories were available to others Whether they are concerned or not, the new plan is not going to reveal the puschase history of any customer to others.
(E) prefer online shopping to shopping in physical retail stores Close enough. But talks about shopping in general. C is more straight forward since it tells about purchasing of gifts.
Manager
Manager
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 01:30
I agree choice C is a bit messed up there. The opposite of what is given would have been more acceptable.

But after analysing choice C, I understand that upon negating the choice, a customer primarily uses retail websites to purchase gifts. Then most of the items in his purchase list may not appeal to him personally, thus weakening the plan's likelihood of success.

Can anyone elaborate more on this?

+1 KUDOS is the best way to say thanks :-)

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.46
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 143

Premium Member
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 05:29
Really tough question since could not prethink and moreover difficult to understand the OA too. Would be really good if someone from MGMAT instructors could justify the OA looking at the conclusion and assumption about hypothetical customers. Will be really helpful.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 21:05
For this question, I strongly believe that choice C does not an assumption of this argument. Opposite of choice C would be more appropriate.
Waiting for expert's explaination.
Expert Post
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2059 [0], given: 677

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 02:13
Expert's post
Here C is certainly the right answer.

However, in my opinion the stimulus is too long and redundant for a gmat question. As such, an official question could say the same thing with 2 sentences less.

Quote:
and then e-mail that list to a group of contacts specified by the customer

and what about if I have not specified this list and I want to keep it private ??

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Schools: HBS '16, Fuqua
GMAT 1: 510 Q25 V36
GMAT 2: 510 Q29 V31
WE: Research (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 19 [4] , given: 8

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

O.K I've highlighted the two key flaws in the retailers logic. The wish list if for person X to highlight what they would like to receive as gifts. However the plan assumes that what person X buys is for herself and therefore you use what person X buys to website to suggest what they should get as a gift.

A:not relevant.
B:wrong assumption. The idea of the logic of the suggestion is that buying looking at purchase history you can see what they would like.
C: Correct: highlights the weakness of Joanne's logic. She assumes all website purchases are for person X. however she might be on the website buying a gift for her great uncle. Therefore person X purchase history might have no link to their purchases.
D: Person X could have a privacy concern with data being shared by others. However not key weakness of idea.
E: not relevant;
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 540 Q50 V15
GMAT 2: 640 Q50 V27
GPA: 3.11
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 84

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2013, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS
I marked (C) " customers do not use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts."
If we reverse C, i.e., "customers use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts", then the argument falls apart.

So, C is the correct answer

Sahil Chaudhary
If you find this post helpful, please take a moment to click on the "+1 KUDOS" icon.
My IELTS 7.5 Experience
From 540 to 640...Done with GMAT!!!
http://www.sahilchaudhary007.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 69

CAT Tests
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 03 May 2014, 04:57
sahilchaudhary wrote:
I marked (C) " customers do not use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts."
If we reverse C, i.e., "customers use retail websites primarily to purchase gifts", then the argument falls apart.

So, C is the correct answer

I really couldn't understand what is the conclusion and how negation of assumption make the argument falls apart. Can anyone try here?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT Date: 08-02-2013
GPA: 3.7
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 34

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2014, 05:55
C,
Pretty simple, the entire argument evolves around the fact that the customer purchases the item he/she likes from online portal and is likely to shop for similar items.

Now the entire argument depends upon the fact that whether the purchases made by the customer are for his/her own use or for someone else's. If the latter reason holds, it would mean that the shopping done by the customer is not for himself and hence gifting him the goods from such a selection is not a good idea, on the other hand, if the list is what customer purchases, our conclusion holds.

--It's one thing to get defeated, but another to accept it.

Manager
Manager
WE: Design (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 56

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 16:35
Why are people discussing on D when the premise clearly states 'without revealing the specifics of a customer's purchase history'

CAT1-520 (GMAT CLUB)
CAT2-620 (MGMAT 1)
CAT3-630 (KAPLAN)
CAT4-680 (MGMAT 2)
CAT5-710 (VERITAS 1)
CAT6-680 (MGMAT 3)
CAT7-720 (VERITAS 2)
CAT8-730 (VERITAS 3)
... Lets see how far can i stretch it up to.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 46

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2014, 22:26

gift similar to the customer's prior purchases= extremely likely to appeal to the customer

one way to prethink the assumption is to think about a scenario in which the conclusion does not hold true
if the customer's prior purchases were used as gifts for others then these purchased items do not indicate the customer's interest; therefore, these items may not appeal to customer.
option c address the same issue.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4478 [1] , given: 162

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2014, 22:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
radioguy wrote:
Hi,

I got this question in MGMAT CAT's. And i am quite perplexed at the answer choice.Can someone tell me how to arrrive at the asnwer choice.I didnt understand the solution.Thanks

(A) are familiar with most or all of the items in stock on the websites where they shop
(B) would prefer novel gifts that are unlike the items they currently own
(D) would be relatively unconcerned if their retail purchase histories were available to others
(E) prefer online shopping to shopping in physical retail stores

Responding to a pm:

Quote:
I guess if the option B here were "not prefer", then it would have been correct.

No. Changing option (B)
(B) would not prefer novel gifts that are unlike the items they currently own.

Joanne does not assume that people do not like novel gifts. She clearly says "Such lists are certainly useful, but these retailers should also explore other ways to suggest gift purchases ". She gives this method as one of the methods to suggest gift purchases. She agrees that the lists that customers prepare are useful. The list could have novel gifts.

This option is an assumption since she assumes that what people purchase from online stores is what they like for themselves. A case can certainly be made against this option that a customer would purchase, even when she is gifting others, what she likes. A customer is very unlikely to put in money in what she doesn't like. But then a question of utility of the gift to the customer comes into picture. What she may gift others may be something they require but the customer herself does not. So anyway, given the question as it is, we would have to go with (C)

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Insurance)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 18

Premium Member
Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2014, 22:25
I was able to rule out A, B, D and E

But C still does not make sense to me :(

Never give up, never celebrate, never leave your spot until it is finally over
We are winning this GMAT-war together

"Your one spot for all your GMAT and B-school ranking know hows" - Click here

Re: Joanne: An increasing number of online retailers now allow c   [#permalink] 05 Jul 2014, 22:25