Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 03:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job Change

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard, NYU Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Job Change [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 06:32
Hi Scott,
I have been recently offered a job by one of the major US software companies in India.I am planning to apply for MBA 2006 session in Harvard,Tuck etc.There are not much change in responsibilities,only the salary part is good and it's a brand name.So, i wanted to ask is it advisiable to change job at this moment? Will it have a negative effect on my application.your inputs will be greatly appreciated

regards
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 46

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 12:53
Expert's post
I don't think that it hurts you terribly to change jobs now, but if you do (and you write about it in your app), a natural question that will come up is, "Why do you want to get an MBA now, when you've just changed jobs? Why then did you change jobs?"

I know that the better brand name may seem appealing, but this will only help you so much. Remember that adcomms are more interested in YOU than in your company.

Overall, I guess it won't hurt you chances much if you change jobs, as long as you can credibly answer the questions I raised above.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 05:08
Hi Scott,
Again i have question related to my Job. I have been offered job by two major companies .One of them companies is offering me a higher designation (From Software Engineer to Senior Software Engineer) and salary structure is same for both the companies.For one of the companies i have to change my place that i don't want to do as i am planning to give my GMAT again and submit my applications.
The major difference is that salary part is much higher then what i am getting at my current organization.So is it advisible to change my company at this stage of my career when i will be applying in the second round of major B-schools for 2006 session.

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2005, 05:11
Expert's post
I think the same question remains: If adcomms see that you just changed jobs, they'll naturally ask why you want to leave and go to b-school right away. The higher salary is nice, but I don't think it will make much a difference in terms of helping yo uget into b-school.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 06:13
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the advice.But one of the company is giving me a higher designation and better responibilities.May be they send me for an International assingment.Will that help?

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2005, 08:49
Expert's post
Possibly. But I still think it will look weird if you take this job and immediately want to leave to go to b-school.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 00:59
Hi Scott,
I agree with you but the thing that my salary is quite less at my present organization, so i personally feel that it was also one of the reasons i couldn't get into a good B-school.May be they see salaries before joining the MBA class?
Secondly, new salary will help me to meet my expenses related to applying to the B-school.Last year i had to take the loan to apply to various B-schools last year and i am still paying the loan for that?So i feel in that way changing job will benefit me financially.Will this convince adcom about my decision?

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2005, 06:14
Expert's post
I'm not saying that you won't get in because you changed jobs, but I don't think it it will necessarily help you much, either.

Another way to look at it: Of course you plan on getting in, but what if you don't get accepted this year? Which job would you be happier with? If it's the new, higher-paying job, then go with that!

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 19:56
Hi Scott,
I am planning to give my GMAT again and i am planning to apply to Insead and LBS.I wanted to ask that it will be difficult for me to apply for the Second round.Is it advisabe to apply in Third round of LBS and Insead,as they have four rounds sof admission? My major concern is, as in case of US top ten B-schools, it is advised not to apply in the third round, does the same apply to LBS and Insead also?

regards
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2005, 20:36
Applying to these schools in the third round isn't so bad as it is for US schools, but it is definitely still more difficult to get in in round 3.

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 06:51
Scott,
How much importance is given to GMAT score in LBS and Insead while taking admission decisions

regards
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2005, 12:31
Expert's post
I think its fair to expect that LBS and INSEAD place as much emphasis on the GMAT as other schools. (nor more, no less). Our advice is always to try and get within the middle-80% range for a given school's average GMAT scores. Most schools publish this info on their web sites, and we include this info in our book.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews