Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 14:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job-change effect on future application

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2011, 23:47
edited

Last edited by jk12 on 21 Aug 2011, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 2

Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 06:43
This post received
KUDOS
Don't ever, EVER make a career move based on how it would effect an MBA adcom's opinion of you. ALWAYS do what's best for you and your career. If an MBA happens to fit into those goals, then I'm sure you'll find a way to explain or "spin" your job hopping in your favor. Maybe you realized you're the type of person who can't sit still, who likes a variety of projects, so you want to move into consulting, which involves this kind of frequent change. See what I mean? Do what you want to do now, then figure it out later.
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 05:43
jk12 wrote:
I am in a serious dilemma regarding a job offer that would allow me to move into a slightly better company in tech with a decent bump in salary (~30%) and same job title. However, I am concerned that such a job change may make me look like a job hopper in my next year's b-school application.

I have been with my current company for only 6 months now and have worked at 2 companies (including current) in the last 3 years. If it helps, I was with only one employer for 4 years prior to that.

The opportunity seems hard to pass up, but it may bring serious questions into my next year's application. On the one hand, I think that bump in salary can be seen as progress or even as reasonable grounds for job change by ad com. On the other hand, my job change history and just 6 months at current work may not be seen favorably by adcom.

I was wondering if anyone has had similar experience here in the hi tech industry and share the B-school admin committee's perception of such job changes?

Adcom "may" be okay with this, but also think about what your future employer might think. If I was looking to hire some guy and saw that he jumped ship 6 months after joining a firm because of a salary jump, I'd think of him negatively. On the other hand, if you were jumping ship because of a cultural misfit, that's a better story. You can even say that you learned a lesson in how to pick companies that are best for who you are, therefore you're applying to X company (or X biz school) now. Getting my drift?

Like the response? Kudos it!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2011, 16:39
thanks for all the input. Do people here think that rise in salary translates to "career progress" as seen and asked in rec letters by admin committee? I understand that monetary reasons alone for job change are never openly admitted in an formal forum, but genuinely speaking they are an integral part of a career opportunity. B-school application do ask for salaries in their online applications and most likely than not read something into rise in salary as acknowledgment if contributions made by and rise in responsibilities of the applicant at his or her workplace. Do bschools associate rise in salary as not openly admitted but secretly understood type of career progress too?
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2011, 05:33
They may or they may not read into the salary increase as career growth; you can't bank on it either way. What you need to draft is a good reason why you left a company, and that reason cannot be solely $$$. It may be that the position was titled the same but the responsibilities were a lot more leadership oriented... It may be that it gave you some intl exposure... Etc... Other than that, like the other user said, don't let MBA plans stop you from making career moves.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Current Student
Schools: Tuck Class of 2013
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Job-change effect on future application [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2011, 03:25
jk12, I am in a similar situation. However, I believe I have a sound strategy. The guy that wants to hire me, a director from a supplier, is my second recommender on this year application (I have been waitlisted on the 3 schools I applied ;-(). He knows that I will apply again and therefore I would stay with the company for only one year. He likes my work and he needs desperately someone with my knowledge to be able to bid for a new big project. Additionally, I would live in another country, have increased responsibilities and salary. The only impediment is how we will manage to not harm the relationship between my current company and this supplier.

If this thing works, on the time of the application I would be with this company for only 3 months, but I believe it would sound just right as a career move in which I would not only grow professionally but also show my will to be a more interesting applicant.
Re: Job-change effect on future application   [#permalink] 08 Apr 2011, 03:25