Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 10:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job Experience??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 17:16
Hi......
I am doing MS in chem engg right now in Lamar university....
And I want to do MBA after that in foll FALL....But I dont have any work experience...
So pls tell me "Is it imp to have work exp for MBA or to get admsn in good coll? Is it compulsory?"
Pls reply bcos I am not able to take decision....I am planning to give GMAT in OCT ending and I am graduating in dec 2009.

Thank You..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth, Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 18:58
This post received
KUDOS
Work experience is more-or-less critical for the MBA experience and admissions, in particular at the top schools. For example, Harvard recently started a 2+2 program for students applying while still in school. This program basically says, go work for two years, and then come back...

Unless you've done something absolutely amazing while in undergrad, or are the super rockstar of HYPSM, you're likely not getting into a top, top program without experience. You may be able to drift further down the quality totem pole, and target schools in the bottom half of the top 50. The problem, however, is even if you gain admission, recruiting will still be a headache as you'll have no work experience to illustrate your abilities.

In the end, I, and I am sure most, will strongly suggest getting at least 2 to 3 years of work experience prior to entering an MBA program. Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
I dont understand what is being said/asked. :roll:

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2009, 23:13
fluidian wrote:
Work experience is more-or-less critical for the MBA experience and admissions, in particular at the top schools. For example, Harvard recently started a 2+2 program for students applying while still in school. This program basically says, go work for two years, and then come back...

Unless you've done something absolutely amazing while in undergrad, or are the super rockstar of HYPSM, you're likely not getting into a top, top program without experience. You may be able to drift further down the quality totem pole, and target schools in the bottom half of the top 50. The problem, however, is even if you gain admission, recruiting will still be a headache as you'll have no work experience to illustrate your abilities.

In the end, I, and I am sure most, will strongly suggest getting at least 2 to 3 years of work experience prior to entering an MBA program. Good luck.

I second that. Even if you manage to get into a top program, recruiting will be very tough (or so I hear), especially in this economy. And even if you got a descent job, it would be tough to deliver descent performance to make smooth career progression.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 08:36
Hey Thank you guys....Now I will think about it.....I know job exp is imp but right thr r no jobs in market and I am graduating in Dec 09, Thatsy I thought that its better to study than wasting time in job search......Only Harvard is offering 2+2 program?

Thank you for your attention & guide......
SVP
SVP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2009, 20:24
work experience is essential. it has definitely helped me figure out exactly why i want an mba degree. no offense, but the original poster sounds like he/she is of Indian origin, like myself. We get it drilled into our heads from early on that we need to be educational standouts, and that an MBA is not an option, but rather a step you HAVE to take.

I was along that very same path, until I realized that I needed to be getting the degree for bigger reasons than just "I need to". Without the experiences that Ive had at work, I wouldnt be able to fully reason why exactly Im about to spend thousands of dollars on further education :)

Just some food for thought. Figure out why you want your MBA.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job Experience?? [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2009, 06:30
really try to get some work experience if you can, especially if you're from an oversubscribed demographic, you need all things to be equal when competing against your counterparts and work experience is one of those factors. in the meantime, if i were you, i'd also take some time to strengthen my written and spoken english, this will help with your essays and your gmat (if you have yet to take it).

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Re: Job Experience??   [#permalink] 22 Jun 2009, 06:30