Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 19:36
Hey guys,

As I am intending to submit my application for a top 15 MBA in the US next year, I started looking for a new job in the past weeks in order to improve my work experience. And the most weird thing happened to me!

I was contacted by an HR agency telling me that they wanted to interview me for a position in a "multinational oil company". They didn´t reveal the mystery until I was there: it turned out to be a position in the local subsidiary of PDVSA, Venezuela´s major oil company which has very very bad press. (You can check out what´s in Google in just a few seconds).

I would´t work there... but just wanted to share this view with you: do you think that taking this job would totally ruin my future candidacy? As far as I know, this would kind of represent the Axis of Evil for admission officers, right? On the other hand, I think the application will not be overlooked and will be indeed different (although maybe "no-way-you-get-in different" I must say)

What do you think? Thanks a lot!
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 116

Premium Member
Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 02 May 2013, 20:47
What oil company has actually had good press??.. IMHO I don't think an adcom would reject you because of some mistakes done by the top management of the company.. True Chavez hasn't done much good to improve his image with the US... But.. I think the Adcoms are only looking for what you did there rather than the company as a whole..

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 537 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 05:42
Expert's post
I highly doubt it. A job is a job. And a good one is a good one. It's like how in the news the Republicans and Dems are always at odds, but lots of them lunch together. (Although who knows, the FBI might tag your profile) :)

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 07:02
Yeah, you maybe right... But who can tell for sure? I´m really doing my best (just like many of us!) to gather the best application package possible and I am wondering if this single detail is not actually a detail and can be a major red flag.

So my question would be: what´s the point in pushing it? If I can get another job in another company maybe it´s not worth risking 1 year of hard work (gmat, school research, essay writing, etc) and kill your dream by taking this job.

Thanks again!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8897 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 21:13
Expert's post
wizzard wrote:
Yeah, you maybe right... But who can tell for sure? I´m really doing my best (just like many of us!) to gather the best application package possible and I am wondering if this single detail is not actually a detail and can be a major red flag.

So my question would be: what´s the point in pushing it? If I can get another job in another company maybe it´s not worth risking 1 year of hard work (gmat, school research, essay writing, etc) and kill your dream by taking this job.

Thanks again!

Did you end up doing it? :?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2014, 00:55
I dont think it will matter much. A job will come with learnings and in the application process, your admissions committee will look at -

What kind of job you did | what your achivements were | How will it help the MBA college to admit you into their program.

Tejas Phatak
Founder-KairosEducates

KairosEducates
+91 88888 21820

Intern
Intern

Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy? [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2014, 18:44
Hey bb,
No, I did not do it. For several reasons, actually.
Re: Job interview in PDVSA! (Chavez oil company) Kill candidacy?   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2014, 18:44