Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 17:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job Placement after getting MBA

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Job Placement after getting MBA [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2007, 09:31
Hi all. I really need some advice on this one. I currently reside and work in Houston, TX. I would eventually like to settle down and work in NorCal. I'm currently in the process of applying to MBA schools and wasnt sure if I should apply to schools in NorCal only? If I stayed in Houston I would probably be able to get into part-time Rice MBA or Texas MBA program, but if I applied to schools in NorCal I know for sure I would not be able to get into any top-tier school even UCB or UCD, meaning the schools I would apply to in California probably won't be as good as the schools I would be applying to here in Houston. My GMAT score is 620 by the way with 4 yrs work experience. So my questions are..

1.) Should I stick to applying to schools in California since eventually i want to settle down there?

2.) Would it be worth it to go to a better school outside of norcal (Rice, UT) and find a job in California after I graduate or would it be more worth it to go to a lower-level tier school in norcal and then use the networking I've gained from there and find a job in that area?

3.) I dont know much about which schools in Norcal are good except for the ones in the top 50 such as UCB, UCD, Stanford, etc. If anyone knows, could you give me some insight on what other schools might be competitive in that area?

Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 14:04
The benefit of going to a regional/local school in California is that you'll have contact with local recruiters/ jobs. This sounds like what you're looking for since you want to settle in the area. Are you thinking Silicon Valley/ tech industry? A lot of the smaller MBA programs in the bay area have specialized curriculums in tech or entrepreneurship, which could be right up your alley.

If you plan to leave California in the future, your smaller program might not have the same name recognition.

I'd suggest to find out what recruiters go to Rice/Texas. See if the companies you're interested in recruit on-campus or have some connection with the schools. Also, ask if graduates get placed in Northern California.

Here are some schools in NorCal I know of:

University of the Pacific - Eberhardt School of Business

Santa Clara University - Leavey School of Business

San Jose State - Lucas GSB

University of San Francisco - School of Business

California State University East Bay - College of Business

Good luck! Check out our pods too!

Best,
Janet
MBAPodcaster
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Job Placement after getting MBA [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2008, 09:18
I think that you should keep your options open at the application stage and apply to the schools you'd like to go to in the places you'd like to be, as well as to schools you feel that you might be more likely to get into in places that you might not want to live.

The other consideration you may want to think about is money. If you attend UT especially as an in-state resident, the tuition makes it a great option, which always a good thing to consider.
Re: Job Placement after getting MBA   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2008, 09:18