Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 16:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job prospects after a PhD in Management..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 661 [0], given: 781

Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 12:23
Just focus on research. If you do it on your own, you will still need the help of your advisor along the way. Do not be a hero - take all the help you can get.

Remember, a Ph.D is training for research. It is not supposed to be your lifetime's work.One article published only gives some evidence, but it is not conclusive proof that you will be a good researcher.

hobbit nailed it with his statement on scholarship. You cannot be an expert on everything - so you must find ways to collaborate that results in MUTUALLY beneficial professional relationships.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 300 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 17:28
tkkoh wrote:
I have seen a number of papers co-authored by students and faculty. Mostly in conference proceedings, but also a few actual pubs. I think whether the student gets some credits depends on how much involvements he has. If he is very involved, I don't see why the credit should all go to the prof.

Anyway, there is this paper in AMR - both authors were PhD candidates when the paper was accepted/published. http://www.jstor.org/view/03637425/ap010081/01a00070/0

tkkoh - the link doesn't work well on my laptop... can you give the name of the authors or the title of the paper?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2008, 21:33
hobbit: Chiles, Todd H., & McMackin, John F., Integrating variable risk preferences, trust, and transaction cost economics. Both out of University of Oregon.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2008, 16:27
This is a good discussion.

Students who author with faculty generally are hired as an assistant when it is finally published, I think that is why it seems so rare for student pubs. Many of those manuscripts are written as students.

It is good to also realize that a citation is a citation regardless of where you are on the authorship list. In some ways, that is the most important thing.

For instance, there is the Google Scholar method to determine a "score" for academic.

For example, in google scholar, type in Michael Porter. Then count his citations for each paper, when the citation count for papers equals the page number *10 (page 7 and 70 citations), it gives you a score. I think his score is like 70. Which is incredible.

Most academic papers get an average of 3 citations! (He has one with over 10000)

Single authored papers are rare. This is because having multiple authors allows you to work on more than one paper at a time--spread your bets!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 2

Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2008, 03:49
don_strategy wrote:
If acceptance ratio is 1/4 in a top school and say 1/2 in a lower ranked school, where do the others who don't end up in academics go? I know people who do PhD in engineering (computer science) or economics land up in industry jobs in typically entry level in R&D, Statistical jobs respectively.. What kind of jobs do PhD management guys get in industry?

And when does the hard work really start? If post PhD competition for academic jobs is high, and if there is publishing pressure from second year I think the hard work starts from day 1. :-)

I'm jumping in here late, but once you consider _every_ lower ranked school (even including community colleges and obscure branches of state schools), my guess is that the ratio closes in on 1/1 rather quickly, for graduates from top-50 PhD programs anyway. From what I've seen (at a top 20 school for PhD in Accounting), even not-so-great applicants that don't have that much going for them end up with jobs at places like UIC or Iowa, which are frankly not bad (if you can get used to the cornfields, ha ha). I've also seen people with OK prospects but poor teaching skills purposefully go into industry (credit rating agencies, investment banks). Those places have research departments where someone will do something related to what they'd do in academia, although they're likely to be a little more limited in the type of research they would do (ie. in academia, as long as you publish they leave you alone, while in industry you at least need to do something of interest to your employer).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management.. [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2008, 12:31
Even at smaller schools, the numbers can be daunting. Of the 100 or so schools for which I applied last season, one of them, a smaller university of approx 4,000 students, has a perfectly awful HR. Why do I mention their HR? Well, they sent a broadcast email to all applicants and failed to hide the addresses from the recipients, so you had the email addresses of everyone who'd applied (of course, a major HR faux pas). But the upshot of it was that I got to count the applicants (107 in all) and get an idea of the caliber of some of them (one person in particular had an email address that indicated they'd done their graduate work at Stanford!) And this was, as I said, at a small, nondescript university. To say the least, it gave me pause, and helped me to understand why so many schools for which I "perfectly" met the job description failed to give me any consideration.

However, to reiterate what another poster said, the application numbers can be misleading; pretty much the same rules apply as for grad school applications. Even though there might be 100 applications for a single spot in a program, there are mitigating factors:

1). A lot of people who apply aren't near the right fit and are just time-wasters for the selection committees (in the same way that some eternally optimistic 560 GMAT scorers scattershot grad school applications to Ivy League programs);

2). There are many people like me who apply for a great mountain of jobs and drive up the numbers accordingly (last season I applied for over 100 jobs, but of course I needed only one tenure track offer, which I received);

3). One need realize that while they may strike out at 99% of the jobs for which they apply, it only takes one offer at a decent school to make it all worthwhile. My failure rate in the academic job search was tremendous: 1 success vis-a-vis 99 failures. 100 applications, 14 phone interviews, 8 straight finalist interviews without a single offer...and then, an offer for a TT job from one of the largest universities for which I'd applied!

4). There are certain criteria that, while they may disqualify you from most jobs, either by dint of explicit language in the job ad or hidden agendas, may well make you the perfect fit for another (and of course, you only need to stumble into one of these). The one offer I did receive was a situation in which my qualifications academically and experientially surely did not measure up to many who'd applied, but for various reasons, which were pretty clearly spelled out to me by the dean, dept head and selection committee, I met all their criteria that really counted; they were looking for a certain "type", I just happened to be it, and they overlooked all else.

If you get a PhD in Management, Accounting, Finance, Strategy, etc at a legit AACSB university, the odds are extremely high you will land somewhere within two years of graduation. What you do with it after that, whether or not you get tenure, whether or not the bulk of your career is spent at an R1, a mid-tier uni, an SLAC, or a CC, is up to what you do with that career, whether your research skills are up to it. But virtually everyone who gets into a legit doctoral program will get their shot at academia if they want it.
Re: Job prospects after a PhD in Management..   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2008, 12:31