Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Job Prospects aftering Graduation at NYU PT. [#permalink]
jallenmorris wrote:
Are you a current student? Prospect? Matriculating? I was curious about that regarding one of my schools of interest. I contacted the admissions office and asked for alumni that I could speak to. They provided me with names of 3 individuals to contact. That gave me a better idea of the prospects than the career services office.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
I was curious about this since, the career services at NYU PT sucks.

Anyone know what the bump in pay is like? What oppurtunities open up?

Thx

Im looking to go to NYU PT next year. But I'm somewhat detered b/c of the lack of career services at NYU PT.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:
Are you a current student? Prospect? Matriculating? I was curious about that regarding one of my schools of interest. I contacted the admissions office and asked for alumni that I could speak to. They provided me with names of 3 individuals to contact. That gave me a better idea of the prospects than the career services office.

GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
I was curious about this since, the career services at NYU PT sucks.
Anyone know what the bump in pay is like? What oppurtunities open up?
Thx

Im looking to go to NYU PT next year. But I'm somewhat detered b/c of the lack of career services at NYU PT.

GBB,

I think you already know the answer to this, but are still looking for a glimmer of hope. You're young. Go FT.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
There are opportunities via the LPDP program but you need to do some networking and leg work on your own. Blackbelt, you are young, so you should apply to a full time program since career placement is a lot easier via that avenue.
VP
VP
Send PM
navy01 wrote:
There are opportunities via the LPDP program but you need to do some networking and leg work on your own. Blackbelt, you are young, so you should apply to a full time program since career placement is a lot easier via that avenue.

Think you guys are right. Ya I am kinda lookin for a glimmer of hope =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
If you're really worried about this, go to a recruiter.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
navy01 wrote:

NYU Career center for PT does not suck. It used to, but I heard it got a lot better. PM me, if you have any questions.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
yubjun wrote:
GMATBLACKBELT wrote:
navy01 wrote:

NYU Career center for PT does not suck. It used to, but I heard it got a lot better. PM me, if you have any questions.

How does it not suck? Can you elaborate on what they've done to improve?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q42  V44
Send PM
I am considering Stern's PT program as well. Does anyone have experience with the SPEC (Stern Private Equity Club)? I understand that it is one of the more popular clubs at Stern -- does anyone have success stories of classmates that have successfully moved over to PE/VC via Langone PT?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
PalmettoRU wrote:
I am considering Stern's PT program as well. Does anyone have experience with the SPEC (Stern Private Equity Club)? I understand that it is one of the more popular clubs at Stern -- does anyone have success stories of classmates that have successfully moved over to PE/VC via Langone PT?

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but PE/VC is a highly coveted field. This means that not only do they hire fewer people, but also the ones they do hire are usually of extraordinary caliber w/IB experience.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I recently spoke to an alumna from the Langone program (I'd initially thought she did full-time, but I found out too late and decided to talk to her anyway) and she categorically said the the biggest complaints her colleagues in the program had were all related to the lack of effort put in by the school to help the part-timers with recruiters. The CCWP was practically useless - bear in mind she finished 2 years ago so maybe yubjub is right and it's gotten better now - and that led to a fair bit of animosity between the Langone and Stern FT students. However, consider this - any student signed up for a class at NYU's School of Continuing & Professional Studies also has access to the CCWP. And all NYU alumni. How many folks can they possibly help find jobs?

The Langone folks thought the OCD went out of their way to help the FTers get jobs (by hosting most recruiting events during the day for instance), and for their part the Stern folks thought some of evening classes meant primarily for the PTers had better, more experienced professors and ahem...smarter peers.

I'm not sure I see how you could get involved actively in any student clubs if you're only around a couple of evenings and/or the weekends? Given that Langone doesn't provide any recruiting stats, I think it would be very difficult to break into PE/VC without developing a professional network in that industry on your own.

All that said however, Langone is probably the best PT program in the country.
GMAT Club Bot