Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 11:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Job Security in Accounting

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Job Security in Accounting [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 20:10
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to get a sense of the job security in accounting. If as an accountant, you quit/got laid off or fired today, how quickly could you realistically expect to secure another accounting position? Let's assume two different scenarios: 1) you just got your CPA & 2) you only have a year of experience.

Also, how easy is it to get an entry-level position at one of the big four right out of a Macc program?

I've been planning to go to law school for the last three years now, but the lack of job security has me almost ruling it out. The gold standard for job security of course would be nursing (as a nurse, you can tell your hospital to go to hell, walk over to another hospital and within that day or at the latest that week, expect to have a new job), and I am looking for something similar to nursing's stability but not in healthcare.

Thanks.
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2007, 16:12
Hi there,
It is pretty difficult for any1 who is sacked and wandering in the streets of job market.
I am in the UK. I noticed, people who laid off, got job within a months time. Like most of financial centers (ny, tokyo, frankfurt, chicago...) london has the busiest job market. Most students, start looking for job in these cities and make it difficult for even a year experienced guys now. cuz. grads are armed with up to date knolwledge, especially in business and finance areas. It is competitive. u got to compete with new grads.

A friend of mine, applied for a post with a top end investment bank. the bank wanted an experienced guy to work for them, there were quite many experienced guys from other inv. banks applying for the post along with new grads like my friend. He was hired because of his math and numerical background.

i have some other examples like the one above.
I think it should the same with accounting. But mostly companies want to hire a good professional in accounting. so there is 50/50 chance.

as to landing a place at big four, i would say for a grad it is easier in the UK. no idea about the US ones. but UK big four.s have special program called Graduate Recruitment Scheam or program, u got to apply for it once u start your studies and during the year of your studies they easily check your performance and some trainings as well. most importantly they do whatever they think proper to choose the right slave to work for them.

it might not be the same in the US.

But still life is full of surprises. So be patient untill u get one.
I hope guys have better views about your issue. Let's wait until someone joins with better ideas
Intern
Intern

Thanks for the post... [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 17:12
Anyone else with some insight?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2007, 23:43
I'm assuming that other reply wasn't exactly what you were looking for.

Accounting is obviously an in-demand career. Any article you read about hot careers for grads will include accounting.

With the tightened regulations in the accounting world, there is more work to be done and more jobs to be had.

If you have a CPA, you will always be able to find a job unless you are a lazy schmo with a questionable work history.

As a recent grad from the USC MAcc program, about 75-80% of us went Big 4. Even if you don't go Big 4, there are a lot of great opportunities with other accounting firms.

So yes, there is a lot of job security in accounting. If you research it, you will see that.
Intern
Intern

Thanks Wolverine. I know USC has a top notch accounting... [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2007, 21:37
program. How much weight do rankings play among the Big 4? I was always under the impression that, unlike law, rankings make up an insignifcant role in accounting as far as employment, but alot of the posts on this board give me the impression that I was mistaken.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 6

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 13:07
Better schools are recruited more heavily by the Big 4. Prestige definitely plays a part because firms can consolidate their recruiting efforts. That being said, I doubt there is any placement difference between the top 6 or 7 schools.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2007, 23:27
hi guys
what is the scope of ms accounting in investment banking?
thr are few programms that are really very very flexible
i feel they may help some1 to enter sell side of research{equity research etc}

wat u guys say?
Intern
Intern

Plz help me [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2007, 16:28
Hi All,

I really do not know anything in Accounting. I am planning to do MS in Accounting (for non accounting majors) and I am currently in biological sciences. What do u think? I need your help on this. I have had math long ago and to be honest my math skills are below average. Infact I am in a position that I need to totally change my majors.

- Deepa
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Plz help me [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2007, 22:20
Hi deepa,
its sjsu has a small class size for accountancy n the placements also seem good..u can check the website for more info..ur gmat is pretty good.so go ahead..atb

sdk_deepa wrote:
Hi All,

I really do not know anything in Accounting. I am planning to do MS in Accounting (for non accounting majors) and I am currently in biological sciences. What do u think? I need your help on this. I have had math long ago and to be honest my math skills are below average. Infact I am in a position that I need to totally change my majors.

- Deepa
Intern
Intern

Re: Plz help me [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2007, 11:47
deeeee wrote:
Hi deepa,
its sjsu has a small class size for accountancy n the placements also seem good..u can check the website for more info..ur gmat is pretty good.so go ahead..atb

sdk_deepa wrote:
Hi All,

- Deepa

This is to hopefully answer a few questions re: the above discussion:

1) Big 4 firms don't really care about the school you went to. If you did go to a top school in undergrad of masters, then it will help a little, but the thing that they care about most is GPA; more specifically - grades in accounting classes. My firm recruits from all sorts of schools.

2) Math isnt as big a part of accounting as one might think. Sure you have to know math, but its not like Accounting involves calculus or anything. It's usually quite basic math that you are doing.
Re: Plz help me   [#permalink] 27 Dec 2007, 11:47