Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 04:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2009, 18:48
Expert's post
I would like to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge. However, after I graduate, I would like to work back in the US. Is it difficult for MBA grads from European schools to find a job in the US? I'm thinking about going into non-profit management or general management.

From a quick research, it seems that Oxford and Cambridge are pretty similar schools. What differentiate these two schools?

Diversity

2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 146 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 09:03
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Asimov,

It’s hard to predict which one will be better for you, but here’s what I can tell:

Few European schools have strong enough reputation among typical major MBA-employers in the US. LBS and INSEAD are clearly leaders there. I doubt that any of the other European schools would have more weight in the US than any of the American schools from the lower part of TOP 16 list (I mean Duke, Darden, Cornell etc.)

However, Oxford, and, to a lesser degree, Cambridge, could benefit not because of the reputation of business school per se, but because of the strong brand of the parent university. This mainly matters for general industry and international non-profit sectors – so, if your goals lie there, it indeed makes sense to consider Oxbridge (though for US, I believe Yale SOM would still be better).

Regarding this strength of the parent university name – in US, Oxford has better general recognition. Cambridge falls behind (maybe, because for US, the primal association with the name is Cambridge, Mass.) In the UK and Europe, however, both universities are valued equally. Well, you might meet opinions that Cambridge is better for maths, and Oxford for social sciences… these are mostly stereotypes and anyways don’t matter much.

Oxford and Cambridge MBAs are both well-rounded 1-year programmes, but their focuses are slightly different. Oxford’s strengths are social entrepreneurship and finance, and Cambridge’s is general management (and, to lesser extent, entrepreneurship and consulting). As for differences in schools culture – best advice would be to visit both places and decide for yourself, but I’d say that Cambridge ‘feels’ more personal and even a bit chaotic, and Oxford - more rational and business-like. Also (but maybe it’s just me), I felt that Cambridge is a trifle more closed and elitist than Oxford.

We had the discussion about Oxford vs Cambridge; you may check it here:
Separating Oxford from Cambridge

Overall, if your goals were in traditional GM in the UK or Europe, I’d say that Cambridge would be better choice, and both would be equally good for non-profit. But for the US, it is not so – in fact, Oxford could give you more benefits there because of the perceived brand strength.

I wouldn’t count too much on the help from career services: in this market, these services at both schools are not that effective, and it seems they are targeted primarily at the UK market. Alumni network is also not that strong in the US because both schools are quite young (in future, however, we could expect that Oxford network will be stronger, because the school is more popular among North American applicants and, consequently, has a larger percentage of admits).

Sorry for such a vague advice – but I hope it still helped somehow.

Btw, are you considering some US schools, such as Yale?
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad [#permalink] New post 24 Jun 2009, 10:12
Expert's post
greenoak,

Thanks for the detailed response. You've definitely given me a better idea of which one to apply for. I will read the suggested link as well. Yale SOM and Duke Fuqua are both on my list of US schools to apply for because of their strong non-profit management ranking.

Diversity

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad [#permalink] New post 03 Jul 2009, 00:26
greenoak wrote:
Few European schools have strong enough reputation among typical major MBA-employers in the US. LBS and INSEAD are clearly leaders there. I doubt that any of the other European schools would have more weight in the US than any of the American schools from the lower part of TOP 16 list (I mean Duke, Darden, Cornell etc.)

However, Oxford, and, to a lesser degree, Cambridge, could benefit not because of the reputation of business school per se, but because of the strong brand of the parent university. This mainly matters for general industry and international non-profit sectors – so, if your goals lie there, it indeed makes sense to consider Oxbridge (though for US, I believe Yale SOM would still be better).

I concur with greenoak on this. As an anecdote, amongst past consulting clients (in the automotive, chemicals and telecom industries), the Oxbridge schools have strong reputations because of the university's brands -- in my experience, stronger than LBS and INSEAD even. In fact, most of my client directors and executives were not familiar with LBS/INSEAD at all -- I had to try to associate LBS with LSE and the University of London system to help explain the school better. :lol:

At my consulting firm (and with classmates at other Big Four firms, strategy consulting firms and i-banks -- i.e. the "typical" MBA feeder industries), all four schools are pretty well-known, though the M7 schools still definitely have an advantage.

So I also don't believe reputation would be an issue in the US for Oxford, but recruiting will definitely require more initiative on your part to network back in the US, since I presume most on-campus recruiting will be for Europe/UK.
Re: Jobs in the US for Oxbridge Grad   [#permalink] 03 Jul 2009, 00:26