Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 23:29
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

61% (02:08) correct 39% (01:06) wrong based on 119 sessions
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

What do you say? This is a customized one (modeled after another test question :wink: )
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Aug 2009
Posts: 238
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2009, 23:40
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels


This seems to be a tricky one. Cant choose any for sure. Are u sure you've framed it properly?

A is incorrect because of incorrect pronoun usage. 'Him' should be replaced with John.
E seems best

whats the OA?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 95
Location: VA
Schools: Columbia Business School '13
WE 1: Investment Banking
WE 2: Higher Education
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 43 [2] , given: 7

Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 12:09
2
This post received
KUDOS
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

A) Correct...if you change "travels" to "travelers". However, E may be a better choice because it is more concise.
B) Too wordy. Moreover, inspiration does not logically refer back to anything else in the sentence.
C) Awkward sentence construction. "Prision" and "the stay" do not seem like logical items to compare.
D) It is illogical to incorporate a stay at prison into a novel.
E) Correct...if it replaces the entire stem of the question. As the question is written, I am not clear if we are to judge the entire statement, or only a part of it.
_________________

My GMAT Debrief: my-gmat-experience-540-to-92850.html
Every man I meet is my superior in some way. In that, I learn of him. - Emerson

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2009
Posts: 21
Location: New York, New York
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 1

Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 12:17
1
This post received
KUDOS
E - would be my answer.

A is clearly wrong because of "him" but the sub being John's. So, him needs to be John instead. Well, there is no such option
"his stay in the prison" is the inspiration. So, that rules out B C.
D and E seem to convey the right meanings. But D is poorly constructed.

- Prasanna
_________________

--------------------------
http://gmatmbablog.co.nr/
--------------------------

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 422
Location: Sydney, Australia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 14:15
I tend to agree with zaara here it seems a little bit tricky still and no option seems completely correct.
Eliminate A and E – they both do not contain a referent for his/him.
Eliminate C – distorted meaning. it’s not because of prison, it’s because of his stay at prison.
Between B and D – D is preferred for the active “was inspired” vs “use the inspiration for”.

I choose D for these reasons.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2009
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 15:39
gmattokyo wrote:
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

What do you say? This is a customized one (modeled after another test question :wink: )


Assuming that "travels" is actually "travelers"...

I'd go with A. "Him" clearly refers to "John Grisham."

B,C,D are all wrong

E seems to be wrong because it changes the meaning and is less concise. "Inspired him" is preferable to "served as inspiration." Moreover, the original sentence says that the stay inspired him to write the novels. E says it was the inspiration for his novels. For all we know, the novels could be about snowboarding, but the stay inspired him to write them (instead of being the inspiration for them).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 19:06
OA:
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E


As many of you have already mentioned...

pronoun agreement error. the infamous possesive poison - subject/object pronouns referring back to possessive nouns. The subject in this sentence is "Grisham's travels," not John Grisham himself.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 19:10
zaarathelab wrote:
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels


This seems to be a tricky one. Cant choose any for sure. Are u sure you've framed it properly?

A is incorrect because of incorrect pronoun usage. 'Him' should be replaced with John.
E seems best

whats the OA?


Well, the structure and content should be correct :) you guyz got the idea at least
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 422
Location: Sydney, Australia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 19:17
But who does "his" refer to in E. John Grisham is not given as the subject in any part of the sentence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2009
Posts: 331
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 20:35
I've some problem to understand the pronoun part.
Let us consider a simple sentence:
X's grooming and upbringing inspired him to deliver some of the finest plays in his time.
Does the above sentence wrong?
I'm confused
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 20:35
yangsta8 wrote:
But who does "his" refer to in E. John Grisham is not given as the subject in any part of the sentence.


Him is not correct. Usage of His is ok as that is possessive too.. grisham's stay, grisham's novel (second occurrence, name replaced by "his").

here is what i have in notes for possessive poison (may assist in understanding):
Jose's room is so messy that HIS mother calls HIM a pig.

Here HIS is fine because that parallel with Jose's. But HIM has to be corrected:
Jose's room is so messy that HIS mother calls Jose a pig.

HTH
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 18 Aug 2009
Posts: 305
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 20:38
angel2009 wrote:
I've some problem to understand the pronoun part.
Let us consider a simple sentence:
X's grooming and upbringing inspired him to deliver some of the finest plays in his time.
Does the above sentence wrong?
I'm confused


Going by the same logic as above, I'd rephrase that to:
X's grooming and upbringing inspired X to deliver some of the finest plays in his time.

SC busters? comments?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 228
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 83 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 20:48
1
This post received
KUDOS
yangsta8 wrote:
But who does "his" refer to in E. John Grisham is not given as the subject in any part of the sentence.


His is referring to John Grisham's. A possessive pronoun can refer to a possessive form of a noun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 31 Aug 2009
Posts: 422
Location: Sydney, Australia
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 108 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2009, 23:44
Thanks guys got it now :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2009
Posts: 109
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

Re: Inspiration to write... [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2009, 08:22
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.

1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels

E looks good for me

A - John Grisham's ... him --> pronoun error
B and D distort the meaning - it is the stay that inspires his novel
C is close but seems more awkward than E and inspiration is unclear.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2009
Posts: 509
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 366 [1] , given: 241

Re: John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 06:05
1
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels; travels can still visit Alcatraz, the model for the prison in one of Grisham's most famous books.
1) John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write several novels
2) Because of his stay at the prison, John Grisham was able to use the inspiration for several of his novels
3) Because of prison, John Grisham was able to use the stay as inspiration for several of his novels
4) John Grisham was inspired to incorporate the stay at prison into several of his novels
5) John Grisham's stay at the prison served as inspiration for several of his novels


Answer has to be D.
Objective pronoun can never refers to Possessive noun, thus option A & E are eliminated.
It was "Stay at the prison" & not the "Prison itself" that inspired Grisham to write novels, thus option C is out.
Option B, completely changes the intended meaning in that it says "Grisham was able to use inspiration because he stayed in the prison" in any other case "he was not able to use the inspiration"


Note:-
1) Kindly do not post questions unless you are sure of their quality
2) Kindly share the source of the question so that the followers do not suffer much.

Fame
_________________

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 13 Oct 2012
Posts: 78
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: -15 [1] , given: 0

Re: John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 15:54
1
This post received
KUDOS
His in E is a possesive pronoun for "Novels" hence it can refer back to John Grisham's
Re: John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 15:54
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 John attends a magic show and the magician asks him to pick LTN99 4 09 Aug 2014, 08:57
Looking for Inspirations!! maverick101 1 20 Feb 2008, 13:54
NEED INSPIRATION! gsrgirlie 9 09 Oct 2007, 12:47
John's room is so messy that his mother calls him a pig kkarank 3 24 Feb 2007, 03:25
Inspirational Moments!!! Gauss 15 15 Jul 2006, 21:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

John Grisham's stay at the prison inspired him to write

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.