Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

John Mercer Brooke created a sounding apparatus that is

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 690 [0], given: 40

GMAT Tests User
John Mercer Brooke created a sounding apparatus that is [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 04:51
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

41% (01:57) correct 59% (01:23) wrong based on 44 sessions
John Mercer Brooke created a sounding apparatus that is essentially a rod, connected to a string, that strikes the sea floor, causing the tension on the string to slack and a ball to fall to the ground; the rod, released from its weight, is easily drawn up, bringing with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining all specimens able to adhere, for an extended period of time, to a special glue lining the cup.

(A) with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining the specimens
(B) a cup-like apparatus with it, and in which remaining specimens
(C) with it a cup-like apparatus, in which remain the specimens
(D) with it a cup-like apparatus in which remains specimens
(E) with it a cup-like apparatus and remaining in it all the

Source - Knewton

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Tricky Quant problems: 50-tricky-questions-92834.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 30

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 07:30
IMO C. will exp if my ans is right

Gonna make it this time

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 07:32
Navin,

Please explain your reasoning.

Want to improve your CR: cr-methods-an-approach-to-find-the-best-answers-93146.html
Important Grammer Fundamentals: key-fundamentals-of-grammer-our-crucial-learnings-on-sc-93659.html

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 390 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:28
What about apparatus? apparatus is singular noun.

[strike]with it[/strike]a cup-like apparatus, [strike]in which[/strike] remain [strike]the specimens[/strike]

mailnavin1 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:
John Mercer Brooke created a sounding apparatus that is essentially a rod, connected to a string, that strikes the sea floor, causing the tension on the string to slack and a ball to fall to the ground; the rod, released from its weight, is easily drawn up, bringing with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining all specimens able to adhere, for an extended period of time, to a special glue lining the cup.

(A) with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining the specimens - past tense was
(B) a cup-like apparatus with it, and in which remaining specimens - Coordinating Conjunction and spoils the party
(D) with it a cup-like apparatus in which remains specimens - Inverted order - Specimens is plural and requires a plural verb remain
(E) with it a cup-like apparatus and remaining in it all the - Coordinating Conjunction and spoils the party

Source - Knewton

Hope this helps

Please press kudos if you like my post.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 08:52
nusmavrik

the rod, released from its weight, is easily drawn up, bringing with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining all specimens able to adhere, for an extended period of time, to a special glue lining the cup.

THe rod is easily drawn up, bringing up with it a cup-like apparatus, - there ends this clause.

eg: The roller-coaster is a fantastic ride, in which there is a number of seats - this sentence can be re-written as, There is a no of seats on a roller-coaster - vague in s-v right.

There are a no of seats on a roller-coaster - this is the right version without doubts - Right???

SO The roller-coaster is a fantastic ride, in which there are a number of seats.

Gonna make it this time

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:04
ykaiim, Is it time for the OA?? :-D

Gonna make it this time

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 09:32
OA is C. Well done.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 22:56
The sentence displays a subject-verb agreement error. The subject of the underlined, singular verb was is the plural all specimens. When the object of a preposition a clause beginning with the relative pronoun which, the verb within this clause often comes before the subject. Think: WHAT subject corresponds with the action? WHAT was or were remaining in the cup? All specimens is a plural subject.

Also, the rest of the clause is in the present tense but were remaining is in the past.

Choice C uses the plural and present tense verb remain and does not introduce additional errors.

Choice B connects a clause that is not independent (in which remaining...) to an independent clause with a comma and coordinating conjunction. Additionally, in which remaining is connected to the list of things that the rod is doing; it is illogical for the specimens to remain in the rod.

Choice D retains the subject-verb agreement error.

Choice E uses the pronoun it to refer to two different logical antecedents; the rod was bringing with it, referring to the rod, a cup-like apparatus, but remaining in it uses the pronoun to logically refer to the cup.

The correct answer is C.

Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2010, 23:12
Ok sure. I am not convinced since I have seen less SC in which subject and verb is reversed. So while I vote yes for C pls illustrate with examples.

I think "remain" should go with apparatus than with specimens. If not Why??? Pls illustrate.

thanks

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 10:40
Nusmavrik-

In this sentence the "specimen" are "remaining" in the apparatus.

If the "apparatus" were "remaining" it would illogically imply that the "apparatus remains specimen," which clearly cannot be the case.

Therefore we must find the answer in which either "the specimen remains" or "the specimens remain" and we find that in answer choice C.

Hope this was of some help...

Sameer

nusmavrik wrote:
Ok sure. I am not convinced since I have seen less SC in which subject and verb is reversed. So while I vote yes for C pls illustrate with examples.

I think "remain" should go with apparatus than with specimens. If not Why??? Pls illustrate.

thanks
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 17:10
Hey sameermunshi

If the "apparatus" were "remaining" it would illogically imply that the "apparatus remains specimen," which clearly cannot be the case. >>> apparatus in which remains specimens. your forgetting "in which". Specimens are still inside the apparatus. D is still good.

Therefore we must find the answer in which either "the specimen remains" or "the specimens remain" and we find that in answer choice C. >> apparatus, in which remain the specimens. actually its upside down - remain the specimens.

I will give you an example -

He is American
Is he American -----> This changes the meaning of the sentence. subject and verb reversed. That's the point.

nusmavrik wrote:

thanks
[/quote]

Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 19:33
think you're missing the point...

the specimen (plural) remain in the apparatus. <--correct

the specimens (also plural) remains in the apparatus. <--incorrect

So D is not a viable answer choice, which is why C is the OA.

The apparatus is not the subject of the verb remain in this sentence.

nusmavrik wrote:
Hey sameermunshi

If the "apparatus" were "remaining" it would illogically imply that the "apparatus remains specimen," which clearly cannot be the case. >>> apparatus in which remains specimens. your forgetting "in which". Specimens are still inside the apparatus. D is still good.

Therefore we must find the answer in which either "the specimen remains" or "the specimens remain" and we find that in answer choice C. >> apparatus, in which remain the specimens. actually its upside down - remain the specimens.

I will give you an example -

He is American
Is he American -----> This changes the meaning of the sentence. subject and verb reversed. That's the point.

nusmavrik wrote:

thanks
[/quote]
Intern
Intern

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2010, 19:42
you are taking the sentence out of context here.

A simple rewording of this sentence can be taken as:
the specimens remain in the cup-like apparatus.
In the cup-like apparatus remain the specimens.
This is the cup-like apparatus in which remain the specimens.

In all of these sentences the (plural) specimens remain in the apparatus.

Again, the "apparatus" is not doing the "remaining" therefore the fact that apparatus is a singular noun has no effect on the verb "remain"

hope this was a little more clear?

nusmavrik wrote:
What about apparatus? apparatus is singular noun.

[strike]with it[/strike]a cup-like apparatus, [strike]in which[/strike] remain [strike]the specimens[/strike]

mailnavin1 wrote:
ykaiim wrote:

(A) with it a cup-like apparatus, in which was remaining the specimens - past tense was
(B) a cup-like apparatus with it, and in which remaining specimens - Coordinating Conjunction and spoils the party
(D) with it a cup-like apparatus in which remains specimens - Inverted order - Specimens is plural and requires a plural verb remain
(E) with it a cup-like apparatus and remaining in it all the - Coordinating Conjunction and spoils the party

Source - Knewton

Hope this helps
Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.89
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 11:14
This one was diff for me
I think its 800+ :P

If you liked my post, please consider a Kudos for me. Thanks!

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 20 May 2011, 12:23
hussi9 wrote:
This one was diff for me
I think its 800+ :P

Yes, definitely it is a 700+. However, the trick here is to focus only in what really matters. In this case, the clause after the semi colon 8-)

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 248

Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 04:03
Expert's post
nusmavrik wrote:

Quote:

Examples

1. A recent national study of the public schools shows that there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were four years ago.
(A) there are now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(B) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many than there were
(C) there is now one microcomputer for every thirty-two pupils, four times as many as there were
(D) every thirty-two pupils now have one microcomputer, four times as many than there were
(E) every thirty-two pupils now has one microcomputer, four times as many as

2. Among the emotions on display in the negotiating room were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal.
(A) were anger for repeatedly raising the issue over and over again and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(B) was anger for repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles from ever beginning to heal
(C) were anger over repeatedly raising the issue and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin healing
(D) was anger about the issue, which was raised over and over, and preventing the wounds from earlier battles, still raw, to begin healing
(E) were anger about the issue, which was raised repeatedly, and preventing the raw wounds from earlier battles to begin to heal

3. Out of America’s obsession with all things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing forth rhinestone studded collars, cashmere dog sweaters, and canopied pet beds.

things pet-related have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing

things pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that is bringing

things that are pet-related has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring

pet-related things have grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that are bringing

pet-related things has grown a market for human-inspired accessories and accoutrements that bring

4. Out of UK's obsession with all India-related things has grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that is bringing rich South Asian culture to the street corners of London.
A India-related things has grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that is bringing
B India-related things have grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that bring
C things India-related have grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that brings
D things India has grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that are bringing
E things related to India that have grown a national market for gourmet Indian cuisine and Indian music that is bringing

HTH

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 21 May 2011, 17:54
yes, the length of the question made it little difficult.
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 20:03
i think the level of difficulty varies from person to person. some questions we find very difficult while they are easy to others and some q others find very diff. which seem very comfortable.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V39
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 22 May 2011, 23:10
Picked C after eliminating the rest of the answers. Quite a tricky question. The length of the question makes it even more difficult to comprehend.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 22:11
This was good one, I chose C, although I was kind of falling for B too, but 'and' ruined my mood.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: John Mercer Brooke's apparatus   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2011, 22:11