Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 13:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 22 May 2010
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:15
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (03:49) correct 53% (02:47) wrong based on 58 sessions
John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. John can remember that the number had 7 digits, the digit 1 appeared in the last three places and 0 did not appear at all. What is the probability that the phone number contains at least two prime digits?

A. 15/16
B. 11/16
C. 11/12
D. 1/2
E. 5/8
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17317
Followers: 2874

Kudos [?]: 18377 [3] , given: 2348

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: Phone number [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 03:46
3
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
scaredshikless wrote:
25. John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. John can remember that the number had 7 digits, the digit 1 appeared in the last three places and 0 did not appear at all. What is the probability that the phone number contains at least two prime digits?

A. 15/16
B. 11/16
C. 11/12
D. 1/2
E. 5/8

I don't understand the explanation to this one (so I obviously got it wrong...).

Also, at first, I read it as 1 only appears once in the last three places. If that were the case, how would you solve this?

Thanks, folks.


The phone numbers is of a type: {X}{X}{X}{X}{1}{1}{1}.

{X}'s can take following values: 4 primes {2, 3, 5, 7} and 4 non-primes {4, 6, 8, 9}. Total 8 choices for each {X}. Probability that {X} will be prime is therefore \frac{4}{8}=\frac{1}{2} and probability of {X} will not be a prime is again \frac{1}{2}.

We want at least 2 {X}'s out of 4 to be primes, which means 2, 3 or 4 primes.

Let's count the opposite probability and subtract it from 1.

Opposite probability of at least 2 primes is 0 or 1 prime:

So {P}{NP}{NP}{NP} and {NP}{NP}{NP}{NP}.

Scenario 1 prime - {P}{NP}{NP}{NP}: \frac{4!}{3!}*\frac{1}{2}*(\frac{1}{2})^3=\frac{4}{16}. We are multiplying by \frac{4!}{3!} as scenario {P}{NP}{NP}{NP} can occur in several different ways: {P}{NP}{NP}{NP}, {NP}{P}{NP}{NP}, {NP}{NP}{P}{NP}, {NP}{NP}{NP}{P} - 4 ways (basically the # of permutations of 4 objects out ow which 3 are the same).

Scenario 0 prime - {NP}{NP}{NP}{NP}: (\frac{1}{2})^4=\frac{1}{16}.

Hence opposite probability = \frac{4}{16}+\frac{1}{16}=\frac{5}{16}.

So probability of at least 2 primes is: 1-(Opposite probability) = 1-\frac{5}{16}=\frac{11}{16}

Answer: B.
_________________

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 75

Re: Phone number [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 13:35
Bunuel wrote:
scaredshikless wrote:
25. John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. John can remember that the number had 7 digits, the digit 1 appeared in the last three places and 0 did not appear at all. What is the probability that the phone number contains at least two prime digits?

A. 15/16
B. 11/16
C. 11/12
D. 1/2
E. 5/8

I don't understand the explanation to this one (so I obviously got it wrong...).

Also, at first, I read it as 1 only appears once in the last three places. If that were the case, how would you solve this?

Thanks, folks.


The phone numbers is of a type: {X}{X}{X}{X}{1}{1}{1}.

{X}'s can take following values: 4 primes {2, 3, 5, 7} and 4 non-primes {4, 6, 8, 9}. Total 8 choices for each {X}. Probability that {X} will be prime is therefore \frac{4}{8}=\frac{1}{2} and probability of {X} will not be a prime is again \frac{1}{2}.

We want at least 2 {X}'s out of 4 to be primes, which means 2, 3 or 4 primes.

Let's count the opposite probability and subtract it from 1.

Opposite probability of at least 2 primes is 0 or 1 prime:

So {P}{NP}{NP}{NP} and {NP}{NP}{NP}{NP}.

Scenario 1 prime - {P}{NP}{NP}{NP}: \frac{4!}{3!}*\frac{1}{2}*(\frac{1}{2})^3=\frac{4}{16}. We are multiplying by \frac{4!}{3!} as scenario {P}{NP}{NP}{NP} can occur in several different ways: {P}{NP}{NP}{NP}, {NP}{P}{NP}{NP}, {NP}{NP}{P}{NP}, {NP}{NP}{NP}{P} - 4 ways (basically the # of permutations of 4 objects out ow which 3 are the same).

Scenario 0 prime - {NP}{NP}{NP}{NP}: (\frac{1}{2})^4=\frac{1}{16}.

Hence opposite probability = \frac{4}{16}+\frac{1}{16}=\frac{5}{16}.

So probability of at least 2 primes is: 1-(Opposite probability) = 1-\frac{5}{16}=\frac{11}{16}

Answer: A.



Just a small confusion
2,3,5,7 are primes , and 1,4,6,8,9 non primes ,just because there are 3 one's in the last three places it doesn't mean that 1 cannot be at any other place, question says boy remembers last three places having one's and not that there are only 3 ones in the 7 digit number
the phone number could be {1 2 3 6 1 1 1 } this has two primes and 5 non primes and 4 one's
or { 8 2 2 6 1 1 1 } this has 2 primes and all the primes are same

first going the long way p( 2 primes ) +p( 3 primes )+p(4 primes )

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9} * \frac{5}{9} *\frac{5}{9} *1*1*1* \frac{4!}{2!2!} ( exactly two primes )
Multiplying by \frac{4!}{2!2!} as we can permutate only the first 4 digits , the last are fixed (1,1,1)

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9}* \frac{4}{9}*\frac{5}{9}*1*1*1 *\frac{4!}{3!} ( exactly 3 primes )( 3 of a kind )

\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} * 1,1,1 ( exactly 4 primes )

Now for the case 2 primes, both the primes could be same or different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{2!2!} change , or does it remain the same ?

Similarly for the case of 3 primes the primes could be 2,2,2 all same or 2,3,5 all different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{3! } change or does it remain the same?

In this question we are taking primes as one kind and non primes as other kind , so it doesn't matter if the primes are all same or all different ? Is this statement correct?

1)Please could you show how to do this sum individual probability way as I have tried above ?

2)Also please consider the fact that 1 may have to be included as a non prime as the question does not explicitly state that there are only 3 ones in the phone number , he only remembers that the last three are ones.

_________________

- Stne

Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 75

Re: John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 05:34
Hi

Looking for some assistance with this question , please .
_________________

- Stne

Manager
Manager
Joined: 08 Dec 2010
Posts: 213
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 26

Re: John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 12:12
i too tried the long way and could not decide whether the order of two primes are important or not. bunuel a little help please
_________________

this time, we play for keeps

2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4177
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [2] , given: 148

Re: Phone number [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 22:05
2
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:
Just a small confusion
2,3,5,7 are primes , and 1,4,6,8,9 non primes ,just because there are 3 one's in the last three places it doesn't mean that 1 cannot be at any other place, question says boy remembers last three places having one's and not that there are only 3 ones in the 7 digit number
the phone number could be {1 2 3 6 1 1 1 } this has two primes and 5 non primes and 4 one's
or { 8 2 2 6 1 1 1 } this has 2 primes and all the primes are same

first going the long way p( 2 primes ) +p( 3 primes )+p(4 primes )

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9} * \frac{5}{9} *\frac{5}{9} *1*1*1* \frac{4!}{2!2!} ( exactly two primes )
Multiplying by \frac{4!}{2!2!} as we can permutate only the first 4 digits , the last are fixed (1,1,1)

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9}* \frac{4}{9}*\frac{5}{9}*1*1*1 *\frac{4!}{3!} ( exactly 3 primes )( 3 of a kind )

\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} * 1,1,1 ( exactly 4 primes )

Now for the case 2 primes, both the primes could be same or different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{2!2!} change , or does it remain the same ?

Similarly for the case of 3 primes the primes could be 2,2,2 all same or 2,3,5 all different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{3! } change or does it remain the same?

In this question we are taking primes as one kind and non primes as other kind , so it doesn't matter if the primes are all same or all different ? Is this statement correct?

1)Please could you show how to do this sum individual probability way as I have tried above ?

2)Also please consider the fact that 1 may have to be included as a non prime as the question does not explicitly state that there are only 3 ones in the phone number , he only remembers that the last three are ones.


Yes, it does seem that the language of the question is not clear. When I read the question, I also assumed 4 prime digits and 5 non prime (including 1). After all, the question only says that 1 appears in the last 3 places (and hence, we can ignore the last 3 places). It doesn't say that 1 does not appear anywhere else. But it seems that it might also imply that 1 appears only in the last 3 places (looking at the options, that was their intention). Anyway, I am sure that if this question actually appears and they mean to say that 1 cannot be at any other place, they will definitely mention it.
Let's calculate the probability of different number of prime numbers:

0 primes
Probability = (5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)

1 prime
Probability = (4/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*4 (there are 4 positions for the prime)

2 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*4C2 (select 2 of the 4 positions for the primes)

3 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(5/9)*4 (4 positions for the non prime)

4 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)

Probability of at least 2 primes = 1 - (Probability of 0 prime + Probability of 1 prime)
Probability of at least 2 primes = Probability of 2 primes + Probability of 3 primes + Probability of 4 primes

The calculations are painful so let's leave it here. As I said, their intention was probability of prime = 1/2, probability of composite = 1/2 which makes the calculations simple.

The 4 positions are different but you can have the same prime on one or more positions. When you say 4/9, you are including all cases (2, 3, 5, 7) so you don't need to account for them separately. When you say, (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9), you are including all cases e.g. (2222, 2353, 3577, 2357 etc). All you need to do it separate out the primes and the non primes. That you do by arranging primes and non primes as NNPP or NPNP or PPNN etc (as we did above)
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Joined: 27 May 2012
Posts: 212
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 75

Re: Phone number [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 08:27
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
stne wrote:
Just a small confusion
2,3,5,7 are primes , and 1,4,6,8,9 non primes ,just because there are 3 one's in the last three places it doesn't mean that 1 cannot be at any other place, question says boy remembers last three places having one's and not that there are only 3 ones in the 7 digit number
the phone number could be {1 2 3 6 1 1 1 } this has two primes and 5 non primes and 4 one's
or { 8 2 2 6 1 1 1 } this has 2 primes and all the primes are same

first going the long way p( 2 primes ) +p( 3 primes )+p(4 primes )

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9} * \frac{5}{9} *\frac{5}{9} *1*1*1* \frac{4!}{2!2!} ( exactly two primes )
Multiplying by \frac{4!}{2!2!} as we can permutate only the first 4 digits , the last are fixed (1,1,1)

\frac{4}{9} * \frac{4}{9}* \frac{4}{9}*\frac{5}{9}*1*1*1 *\frac{4!}{3!} ( exactly 3 primes )( 3 of a kind )

\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} *\frac{4}{9} * 1,1,1 ( exactly 4 primes )

Now for the case 2 primes, both the primes could be same or different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{2!2!} change , or does it remain the same ?

Similarly for the case of 3 primes the primes could be 2,2,2 all same or 2,3,5 all different then how does the notation \frac{4!}{3! } change or does it remain the same?

In this question we are taking primes as one kind and non primes as other kind , so it doesn't matter if the primes are all same or all different ? Is this statement correct?

1)Please could you show how to do this sum individual probability way as I have tried above ?

2)Also please consider the fact that 1 may have to be included as a non prime as the question does not explicitly state that there are only 3 ones in the phone number , he only remembers that the last three are ones.


Yes, it does seem that the language of the question is not clear. When I read the question, I also assumed 4 prime digits and 5 non prime (including 1). After all, the question only says that 1 appears in the last 3 places (and hence, we can ignore the last 3 places). It doesn't say that 1 does not appear anywhere else. But it seems that it might also imply that 1 appears only in the last 3 places (looking at the options, that was their intention). Anyway, I am sure that if this question actually appears and they mean to say that 1 cannot be at any other place, they will definitely mention it.
Let's calculate the probability of different number of prime numbers:

0 primes
Probability = (5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)

1 prime
Probability = (4/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*4 (there are 4 positions for the prime)

2 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(5/9)*(5/9)*4C2 (select 2 of the 4 positions for the primes)

3 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(5/9)*4 (4 positions for the non prime)

4 primes
Probability = (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)

Probability of at least 2 primes = 1 - (Probability of 0 prime + Probability of 1 prime)
Probability of at least 2 primes = Probability of 2 primes + Probability of 3 primes + Probability of 4 primes

The calculations are painful so let's leave it here. As I said, their intention was probability of prime = 1/2, probability of composite = 1/2 which makes the calculations simple.

The 4 positions are different but you can have the same prime on one or more positions. When you say 4/9, you are including all cases (2, 3, 5, 7) so you don't need to account for them separately. When you say, (4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9)*(4/9), you are including all cases e.g. (2222, 2353, 3577, 2357 etc). All you need to do it separate out the primes and the non primes. That you do by arranging primes and non primes as NNPP or NPNP or PPNN etc (as we did above)


Thank you karishma, since there was no response for a while I thought my query was unreasonable, good to see at least some people appreciated what I wrote . Highly appreciate your response.

Great so now I know probability of one prime 4/9* 5/9 * 5/9 *5/9 * 4= 2000/6561

PROBABILITY of 0 prime's = 5/9*5/9*5/9*5/9= 625/6561

probability of at least 2 primes = 1- ( 2000/6561 + 625/6561)
1-(2625/6561) = 3936/6561 = .59

now lets check by doing long way

2 primes

4/9 * 4/9 * 5/9*5/9* 4!/2!2! = 2400/6561 ( PPNN : two primes could be same ,2 , 2 or different 2, 3 doesn't matter we can think of this as,
two of a kind and two of another kind ,hence 4!/2!2!)

3 primes

4/9 *4/9 *4/9*5/9*4 = 1280/6561 (4!/3! = 4) Three of one kind again PPPN.

4 primes

4/9*4/9*4/9*4/9 = 256/6561 all of the same kind , hence only one way to select them. PPPP


total 3936/6561 = .59 Bingo!

hence we can see both ways we are getting the same result.

Karishma if there is any error in my understanding, please do point out, I have considered primes as one kind and non primes as another kind instead of the position logic which you have mentioned.
_________________

- Stne

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4177
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3787 [1] , given: 148

Re: Phone number [#permalink] New post 12 Sep 2012, 19:42
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
stne wrote:

Great so now I know probability of one prime 4/9* 5/9 * 5/9 *5/9 * 4= 2000/6561

PROBABILITY of 0 prime's = 5/9*5/9*5/9*5/9= 625/6561

probability of at least 2 primes = 1- ( 2000/6561 + 625/6561)
1-(2625/6561) = 3936/6561 = .59

now lets check by doing long way

2 primes

4/9 * 4/9 * 5/9*5/9* 4!/2!2! = 2400/6561 ( PPNN : two primes could be same ,2 , 2 or different 2, 3 doesn't matter we can think of this as,
two of a kind and two of another kind ,hence 4!/2!2!)

3 primes

4/9 *4/9 *4/9*5/9*4 = 1280/6561 (4!/3! = 4) Three of one kind again PPPN.

4 primes

4/9*4/9*4/9*4/9 = 256/6561 all of the same kind , hence only one way to select them. PPPP


total 3936/6561 = .59 Bingo!

hence we can see both ways we are getting the same result.

Karishma if there is any error in my understanding, please do point out, I have considered primes as one kind and non primes as another kind instead of the position logic which you have mentioned.


Everything seems to be in order. It doesn't matter whether you choose to think in terms of position or arrangement of Ps and Ns. The result would be the same.
When I need all arrangements of PNNN, I can write it as 4!/3! (= 4) or I can say that I will select one place for the P in 4 different ways.
Either ways, we are arranging a P and 3 Ns.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Math Expert
User avatar
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 17317
Followers: 2874

Kudos [?]: 18377 [0], given: 2348

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 04:20
Expert's post
Re: John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2013, 04:20
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts John wrote a phone no. on a note that was later lost. John jodeci 4 08 Apr 2006, 18:37
New posts thank you note for Phone interview? IHATEMELGIBSON1 2 01 Jun 2007, 08:33
New posts Experts publish their posts in the topic John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost. cumic 5 18 May 2008, 22:16
New posts Lost iPhone - Lost Gmat Club App data - Need help saikatcjee 0 23 Jul 2012, 20:15
New posts 1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Thurston wrote an important seven-digit phone number on a na shameekv 8 12 Sep 2013, 03:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

John wrote a phone number on a note that was later lost

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.