Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 12:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 May 2012, 17:16
Accepted to both Georgetown and Maryland. Still waiting for notification from JHU. I hope I'll hear from JHU soon, because I only have 2 weeks left to lock in my placement at GT and MD.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Jun 2012, 16:23
Admitted and matriculating. Thanks all. Excited.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.44

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:12
Accepted!!! A week to decide between Georgetown and JHU. Has anyone foregone Georgetown for JHU? Reasons?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 19:46
I think it probably depends on your interests and goals.

If you are looking solely at rankings (which you shouldn't, but I'll proceed), it seems like the Georgetown MBA has settled somewhere between 25 and 30, which mirrors their undergraduate rankings. These things seem to track pretty closely. Hopkins floats around 15th in the undergrad rankings, so there is a lot of room for it to move.

But, again, looking beyond the vagary of school rank - that flighty temptress - it depends on your interests and goals.

Especially if you are interested in any of the specialized MBA courses at Hopkins (Real estate, healthcare, organizational development), or some of the schools stated strengths (biotech, NGO/Social Enterprise, health sciences, finance), that school should stand out. GT probably has some strong specialized tracks that I'm not aware of, but it's obviously worth researching. Also, who is recruiting at GT. If you have your mind set on a specific firm, this is something to be aware of.

If you are just looking for a generalist MBA course, without very specific goals... it's probably a wash. GT is more established but Hopkins is on the move and has a lot of room to grow.
Intern
Intern

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2012, 14:18
Hello all!

First time poster here. I have just been accepted to the EMBA Program at JHU and will be attending this fall! Looking forward to joining the Johns Hopkins community!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
WE: Investment Banking (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 14

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jul 2012, 18:50
Leprechaun,

I was in a similar boat. Accepted to Carey and originally found myself debating between Hopkins or some of the other established full time programs. Ultimately, the excitement around the JHU program has been incredible and led to my matriculation. In my eyes, the immersion projects, Hopkins brand and access to other world renown schools (internally) is a distinct competitive advantage. I do think Carey will settle in around the 12-18 range in the rankings. However, rank has not been a huge factor in my decision due to the programs infancy. Programs can annually gain ground in the rankings for a number of reasons but building a brand like Hopkins (maybe 10 other programs in the world I would place in their league in terms of prestige) does not happen over night.

Good luck in your decision (if not already made). Both great choices.

The Johns Hopkins University Carey Business School
Global MBA - Class of 2014

Re: Johns Hopkins Carey 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Jul 2012, 18:50