Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 02:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Nov 2010
Posts: 53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2011, 23:01
Hey unit157, can you please post a debrief of your interview here? I am interested in looking at the kind of questions being asked on-campus by current students.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 187
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2011, 17:00
anyone know anything about placement stats for the past year for big name consulting and sell side/buyside equity research at cornell?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 06:53
Hi,

I am an Indian applying to the second round of Cornell 2 year MBA. I did my undergrad from a college where teaching medium was English. Do I still need to write TOEFL??

If yes, is it okay if I submit my score before the official score card comes. Deadline for applying to Johnson is Nov 30 and I haven't yet taken date for TOEFL.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Banker in Mumbai
Joined: 24 Apr 2011
Posts: 144
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 07:03
indian2011 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian applying to the second round of Cornell 2 year MBA. I did my undergrad from a college where teaching medium was English. Do I still need to write TOEFL??

If yes, is it okay if I submit my score before the official score card comes. Deadline for applying to Johnson is Nov 30 and I haven't yet taken date for TOEFL.

Thanks!

I did not take toefl (Mumbai University graduate). Did not apply to any school that thinks that Indians need to take Toefl ;-)

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 22 Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 10:08
Hi,

I am an Indian applying to the second round of Cornell 2 year MBA. I did my undergrad from a college where teaching medium was English. Do I still need to write TOEFL??

If yes, is it okay if I submit my score before the official score card comes. Deadline for applying to Johnson is Nov 30 and I haven't yet taken date for TOEFL.

Thanks![/quote]
I did not take toefl (Mumbai University graduate). Did not apply to any school that thinks that Indians need to take Toefl ;-)



@mumbai247: Thanks for your response. Was your application accepted with Cornell? Did they mention anything about TOEFL score??

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 53
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 11:09
Hello Johnson ambassadors, alumni, and gmatclub friends,

I am applying to R2 of Johnson and have researched the school well by talking to current and alumni students and attending admission chat sessions. If invited for interview, I would of course visit the school and take interview on campus. However, does it hurt if you don't visit the school prior to submitting the application? (I know it always works in your favor by visiting school before submitting application, but I visited some schools before submitting application and won't have time to visit Johnson now before Nov 30. No doubt, I will visit the school if invited for interview)
I will portray my fit and research with the school through my essays.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2011
Posts: 39
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 11:35
reach2bhush wrote:
Hello Johnson ambassadors, alumni, and gmatclub friends,

I am applying to R2 of Johnson and have researched the school well by talking to current and alumni students and attending admission chat sessions. If invited for interview, I would of course visit the school and take interview on campus. However, does it hurt if you don't visit the school prior to submitting the application? (I know it always works in your favor by visiting school before submitting application, but I visited some schools before submitting application and won't have time to visit Johnson now before Nov 30. No doubt, I will visit the school if invited for interview)
I will portray my fit and research with the school through my essays.

Thanks.


I have fairly lowish scores and I did not visit the campus before my application and I interviewed with an Adcom two weeks back. The entire Johnson Admissions team is fantastic! I really enjoyed my experience up there. Dont sweat about not visiting the campus, I just referenced how I learned about Johnson through speaking with adcoms at admissions fairs and current students in the "how did you learn about Johnson" brief paragraph on the application. Also, I submitted an incorrect essay on my application and switched it out a week later! I am really hoping for a call in December!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 53
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 12:24
Thanks nycbiker.

Cornell interviews are by-invitation only. So I assume you were invited for interview.
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 13:43
nycbiker wrote:
reach2bhush wrote:
Hello Johnson ambassadors, alumni, and gmatclub friends,

I am applying to R2 of Johnson and have researched the school well by talking to current and alumni students and attending admission chat sessions. If invited for interview, I would of course visit the school and take interview on campus. However, does it hurt if you don't visit the school prior to submitting the application? (I know it always works in your favor by visiting school before submitting application, but I visited some schools before submitting application and won't have time to visit Johnson now before Nov 30. No doubt, I will visit the school if invited for interview)
I will portray my fit and research with the school through my essays.

Thanks.


I have fairly lowish scores and I did not visit the campus before my application and I interviewed with an Adcom two weeks back. The entire Johnson Admissions team is fantastic! I really enjoyed my experience up there. Dont sweat about not visiting the campus, I just referenced how I learned about Johnson through speaking with adcoms at admissions fairs and current students in the "how did you learn about Johnson" brief paragraph on the application. Also, I submitted an incorrect essay on my application and switched it out a week later! I am really hoping for a call in December!


Same here. I have an average GMAT score and a horrible GPA, and I did not visit the campus prior to applying. However, I compensated for my application's weaknesses by reaching out to numerous current students and alums so that I could learn more about Cornell and how I could contribute to the Johnson community. I guess my essays did the trick because they invited me to interview.

My problem now is that I was not able do my interview on campus (long story, but I definitely would have gone if I had the chance). Hope this doesn't hurt my chances.
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Banker in Mumbai
Joined: 24 Apr 2011
Posts: 144
Location: India
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2011, 19:18
indian2011 wrote:
Hi,

I am an Indian applying to the second round of Cornell 2 year MBA. I did my undergrad from a college where teaching medium was English. Do I still need to write TOEFL??

If yes, is it okay if I submit my score before the official score card comes. Deadline for applying to Johnson is Nov 30 and I haven't yet taken date for TOEFL.

Thanks!

I did not take toefl (Mumbai University graduate). Did not apply to any school that thinks that Indians need to take Toefl ;-)



@mumbai247: Thanks for your response. Was your application accepted with Cornell? Did they mention anything about TOEFL score??

Thanks in advance![/quote]

Yes, my status appears as completed, under review.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 01:57
Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to give a brief update. My application had been under review since mid-October, and just last week I received my invite. Now, I heard that as a domestic applicant, getting an interview invite is not that big of a deal since they try to interview as many domestic applicants as possible and the invitation-only policy is instituted mainly because they do not have the resources or manpower to interview the thousands of Indian/Chinese applicants. This is all second-hand conjecture, so I cannot attest to the validity of this statement. Does anybody happen to have a clear idea of what an interview invite really tells you about your odds of admissions for a domestic applicant. I am sure this is on another thread, but I am fairly new to GMAT Club.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Posts: 107
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 05:40
jjborne wrote:
Ladies and Gents,

I just wanted to give a brief update. My application had been under review since mid-October, and just last week I received my invite. Now, I heard that as a domestic applicant, getting an interview invite is not that big of a deal since they try to interview as many domestic applicants as possible and the invitation-only policy is instituted mainly because they do not have the resources or manpower to interview the thousands of Indian/Chinese applicants. This is all second-hand conjecture, so I cannot attest to the validity of this statement. Does anybody happen to have a clear idea of what an interview invite really tells you about your odds of admissions for a domestic applicant. I am sure this is on another thread, but I am fairly new to GMAT Club.


These are the official stats, as reported by Businessweek. Admittedly, this doesn't show the breakdown between domestic and foreign applicants:

APPLICANTS

Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 1,791
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 27 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 56 %
Applicant interviews are: Required
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 53 %
Admitted applicants who were interviewed: 100 %

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... rnell.html
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2011
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
My guess (not to be confused with facts) is that if you are an international that receives an invite, then you are in pretty good shape. For domestic applicants, I don't think it matters as much. For example, 25% of international applicants are interviewed with 75% accepted, and 75% of domestic applicants are interviewed with 25% accepted.

Basically, according to the BW stats, one can presume that being invited to interview leaves you with a roughly 50% chance of being admitted. Moving beyond that, however, I was just curious as to how that is broken down by domestic/international and whether being one or the other would change that roughly 50% chance at all.

BTW, is it bad decorum to ask for kudos? If not, can I get some?
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 08:08
jjborne wrote:
My guess (not to be confused with facts) is that if you are an international that receives an invite, then you are in pretty good shape. For domestic applicants, I don't think it matters as much. For example, 25% of international applicants are interviewed with 75% accepted, and 75% of domestic applicants are interviewed with 25% accepted.

Basically, according to the BW stats, one can presume that being invited to interview leaves you with a roughly 50% chance of being admitted. Moving beyond that, however, I was just curious as to how that is broken down by domestic/international and whether being one or the other would change that roughly 50% chance at all.

BTW, is it bad decorum to ask for kudos? If not, can I get some?


At this point, I think it's just a waste of time for us to try to figure out the breakdown of the interview invites. Just be glad that you were given the chance to interview for a spot, and then do your best to blow them away. Try to focus on what you can change, not matters that are out of your hands.

By the way, since you're looking for kudos, you can automatically get five kudos points if you update your profile by adding your schools and indicating the status of your applications. :)
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 09:27
So the previous posts got me thinking... I know I said that applicants should focus on what they can change, not the statistics. However, I have completed my interview, so all I'm doing now is waiting for the decision. Therefore, I have an excuse to speculate rather than write my essays or practice for my interview. :wink:

Cornell did not report what the percentage breakdown was for domestic and international applicants. And so, I took the percentages from the below linked article, and got the average, which is 51.5%. I would assume that the number should be a little bit lower because of Cornell's complicated student loan process for internationals, but for the purposes of this analysis, I will keep it at 51.5%.

http://poetsandquants.com/2011/11/19/indian-chinese-mba-applicants-face-higher-rejection/3/

With 1,791 applicants, that means there were 922 international and 869 domestic applicants last year. They interviewed 53% of the candidates, which gives us 949 total interviewees. 27% (acceptance rate) of 1,791 is 484, and 56% (yield) of this number gives us a total of 271 students (out of scope for this analysis but I figured I would include the number anyway).

The class is made up of 34% international and 66% domestic students. If we assume that there is a 1:1 proportion of the breakdown (international vs. domestic) for those accepted and those who enrolled (highly unlikely as more internationals probably ended up not going due to visa/student loan issues), then 165 (likely higher) international and 319 (likely lower) domestic applicants were accepted. This means that the acceptance rate for internationals was 17.89%, while the acceptance rate for domestic applicants was 36.71%.

Now let's say that the theory stated above is accurate, and that 75% of domestic applicants are interviewed, while only 25% of internationals get this chance. If these numbers are true, this would mean that 231 international applicants were interviewed last year, as against 652 domestic applicants. These numbers only give us a total of 883, vs. 949. Following the 34/66 split, let's add 22 to the int number and 44 to the dom number. And so, the new totals should be 253 int and 696 dom. 165 people accepted out of 253 interviewed would give us a 65.22% success rate for the internationals who were interviewed, while 319 out of 696 domestic applicants should give us a 45.83% domestic success rate.

If we simply divided 27 by 53 (acceptance rate / interview percentage = success rate), we would have gotten a success rate of 50.94%. One can argue that 5.11% is a sizable discrepancy, but with all the variables involved in this process, I think the difference between 45.83% and 50.94% is negligible.
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Posts: 447
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 80 [0], given: 157

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 10:05
Are Alumni interviews better or Skype interviews for Cornell ?

Alumni interview is conducted by non-admissions people and they might not be sufficiently skilled to undertake and gather information through an interview intended for admissions.

Skype interview is conducted by Adcom, but the whole talking infront of the webcam by looking at it, and please adjust your volume, cant hear you!, is not so effective as a personal interview.

So given these circumstances, which option did peers choose and why?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: A-Z of MBA Admissions
Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 235
Location: Boston
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 12:10
1
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
Are Alumni interviews better or Skype interviews for Cornell ?

Alumni interview is conducted by non-admissions people and they might not be sufficiently skilled to undertake and gather information through an interview intended for admissions.

Skype interview is conducted by Adcom, but the whole talking infront of the webcam by looking at it, and please adjust your volume, cant hear you!, is not so effective as a personal interview.

So given these circumstances, which option did peers choose and why?


You are correct. You may want to focus completely on telling your stories rather than getting distracted by something else. If the adcom interview is not face to face, we recommend alumni interview over phone/Skye interview. Also, the chances are higher that you can connect to a person better while talking to him/her in person than on Skye/phone. As far as the skills in interviewing is concerned, the alums who take interviews are well trained and guided by the admissions committee to take these interviews. In case of Johnson, most of these alums are the ones who were once a part of Johnson Admissions Group during their time at the school and are well versed with the application process.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited by bizschoolprep on 24 Nov 2011, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 23 Nov 2011
Posts: 9
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 21:28
I got the interview invite on Monday (11/21) and I replied to their email on the same day requesting to schedule an alum/phone/skype interview. I haven't received a response yet. Any idea how long the adcom takes to reply and schedule an interview?
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 523
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 23:56
TheOthers wrote:
I got the interview invite on Monday (11/21) and I replied to their email on the same day requesting to schedule an alum/phone/skype interview. I haven't received a response yet. Any idea how long the adcom takes to reply and schedule an interview?


I would suggest that you call them up to schedule your interview. That's the quickest way to do it.
_________________

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 57
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2011, 09:46
srinathreddy wrote:
Hey unit157, can you please post a debrief of your interview here? I am interested in looking at the kind of questions being asked on-campus by current students.


Sure. The interview was professional but conversational. Being my first MBA interview, I was a bit nervous of the unknown. I have to say that everyone was very pleasant and that the interview was stress-free. I highly recommend following LionsSBC's advice and do some meet and greets in the atrium. The students are awesome and are very willing to talk with you.

The interviewer opened right up with "Why do you want an MBA? Why now? Why do you like Cornell?"

After a few specific-to-my-app follow up questions, I was then asked to recall examples of experiences in leadership, conflict, and team work.

The one somewhat unexpected question I was asked was "What 3 things about you would like me to convey to the admissions committee?" I stuck with two unique strengths and a personality characteristic that "fits" their culture.

The interview lasted about 55 minutes. It was a blind (all she had was my resume).

As I said above, it was very conversational. The interviewer told me quite a bit about her past and experiences at Cornell.

Don't over-rehearse your answers, relax, and it will go well. I didn't really believe that advice when I first read it on here from another Johnson prospective, but it's absolutely true.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 25 Nov 2011, 09:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
95 Experts publish their posts in the topic Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants Avault 1424 23 Aug 2011, 22:02
Calling all the Johnson (Cornell) Waitlist 2012 app2012 4 28 Feb 2012, 15:50
91 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2011 applicants! ariel 1420 05 Aug 2010, 23:37
40 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2010 applicants! Raabend 1421 21 May 2009, 06:16
46 Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! solaris1 1424 15 Jul 2008, 16:24
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  72    Next  [ 1425 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.