Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 21:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2011, 10:38
LSEguy wrote:
No news from Cornell. Under review since 10/25. I guess its time to move on... best of luck everyone!!

Cheers!
lseguy

My application was under review by Friday, October 21st, but I did not get the interview invite until Tuesday, November 1st. It took them seven business days to send me the invite. It has only been eight business days since your application went under review. If I were you, I wouldn't throw in the towel yet.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Nov 2011, 08:07
Does anyone know how the interview invitation process works at Cornell? If we don't receive an invite within 10 days after the application went under review (seems to be the case for everyone who received an invite so far), does that mean that it is not looking good? Is there any current student on this forum who can answer this?

Also, are there multiple reviewers looking at the application similar to how it is for most other top schools? If that is the case, I am just thinking even if the first reviewer doesn't send out an invite, the second reviewer might??

Thanks in advance for answering the questions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 680 Q39 V44
GPA: 3.09
WE: Project Management (Transportation)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 11:25
I went under review on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything. Do you really think they finish the application reviews that quickly? I assumed with the level of scrutiny of such a highly ranked school, it would take them awhile to get back to most applicants.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 12:24
biehniac wrote:
I went under review on 10/20 and still haven't heard anything. Do you really think they finish the application reviews that quickly? I assumed with the level of scrutiny of such a highly ranked school, it would take them awhile to get back to most applicants.

My take on the process is that your essays need to go through two or three readers before the final decision is made. Once the essays are read by the first reader, they have the option to send out an invitation to interview if they feel that your essays are strong enough. If they are unsure of your whole story, they pass your essays on to the second reader for further evaluation. The second reader then reads your essays and decides if you are worthy of an interview invite. If the reviews are mixed, they pass your essays to a third reader to "break the tie." The way I see it, there are four scenarios.

Case 1
- Reader 1 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 2 likes your essays and approves of your essays.
- You are accepted/waitlisted depending on the strength of the other aspects of your profile.

Case 2
- Reader 1 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 2 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 3 evaluates your essays and breaks the tie.
- You are accepted/waitlisted if Reader 3 likes your essays. You are rejected if Reader 3 agrees with Reader 2.

Case 3
- Reader 1 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 2 likes your essays and decides to invite you.
- Reader 3 evaluates your essays and breaks the tie.
- You are accepted/waitlisted if Reader 3 likes your essays. You are rejected if Reader 3 agrees with Reader 1.

Case 4
- Reader 1 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- Reader 2 does not feel that you are a strong candidate based on your essays.
- You are rejected.

Therefore, I think that those who were invited within a week of their applications going under review are the ones whose essays compelled their respective Reader 1's to invite them. Those who are still waiting are the ones who fall under Case 3/4.

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell (Matriculated - Consortium Fellowship), Yale (Admitted), Georgetown (Admitted + $$), UCLA (Admitted + $$), NYU (WL)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 16:45
I am a current student at Johnson. Don't worry if you have not yet received an invite to interview. Johnson sends invites out days before admissions decisions are announced, so don't throw in the towel until the decision date.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 18:41
Thank you, VLM, for your encouraging response.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2011, 19:02
Thank you for the detailed response threestripes, lets hope I hear back from Johnson soon. Under review since 10/25. Not looking good now.

Best of luck

@VLM: Thank you for sharing this information.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 06:19
Submitted: 10/12
Under Review: 10/27
Still awaiting interview call

Any international applicant got interview call yet??

Thanks,
Shivam

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2011, 08:37
just got the interview yesterday. under review since 10/25.
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (accepted)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 4

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 08:36
as a current Johnson student (sitting in the library now) who has interaction with many administrators here, I can tell you that they are incredibly busy reviewing everyone's applicantions. I think they rarely come out of their offices unless they're traveling around. I feel everyone's pain as a year ago I was right here on this forum asking the same questions! Like a previous classmate said, Johnson will send out interview invites up until the day before the decision deadline. So at this point just TRY too forget that you've even applied and move on to other applications or rekindling relationships with your friends! I know it's tough to forget that you've applied, but it's the only thing that you can do to protect your sanity.

I will say though that if you get a promotion or just finished some class you were taking (and got an A) or did something amazing in life, let the admissions committee know.

Best of luck! If you have any questions please feel free to PM me!

Find out more about my MBA ADMISSIONS BOOK on how to navigate the b-school application process: http://bit.ly/1a9U7Cl

Blogged my way through the application process, 1st & 2nd year of school at Johnson at Cornell University - Graduated 5/26/2013 - Follow my MBA journey here @ http://www.money9111.blogspot.com | 1 New Post on 10/10
!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2011, 17:03
+1 dude (or lady) for digging that up.

I don't think I could come up with 22 different variables to look for in my essays, and I was the one who wrote them.
BSchool Forum Moderator

Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2011, 08:57
LionsSBC12 wrote:
+1 dude (or lady) for digging that up.

I don't think I could come up with 22 different variables to look for in my essays, and I was the one who wrote them.

Dude's correct. Thanks for the kudos.

Retired Moderator
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 09:28
Are all of you guys aware of Johnson's policy of "Declaration of Finances Form"? I have heard that the policy is quite tough as it requires to show the finances upto 100 K $ without taking into account the Johnson's loan amount. International applicants, find this limitation quite tough.

Any thoughts????

Posted from my mobile device Image

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.47

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 22:36
Hi guys, I wonder is any international applicant get interview invitation yet? it is about 4 weeks, but I do not hear anything from them yet, start to worry

Get Me In!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2011, 23:40
I got my interview invite on the 10th. International applicant (India) - I chose the option of a phone interview - still waiting to hear back from Cornell about the dates.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GPA: 3.47

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 00:15
Sidhant wrote:
I got my interview invite on the 10th. International applicant (India) - I chose the option of a phone interview - still waiting to hear back from Cornell about the dates.

Thx sidhant! BTW, when your application went under review? Good luck for your interview

Get Me In!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 00:26
ddx2003 wrote:
Sidhant wrote:

Thx sidhant! BTW, when your application went under review? Good luck for your interview

Thanks ddx2003...my application went under review on October 21. I have another friend who's application went under review on Oct 21 and she received her invite on the 11th. Think they've just started sending out the invites for internationals and the coming week will see a major push in that direction. Good luck to you!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 04:02
Sidhant wrote:
ddx2003 wrote:
Sidhant wrote:

Thanks ddx2003...my application went under review on October 21. I have another friend who's application went under review on Oct 21 and she received her invite on the 11th. Think they've just started sending out the invites for internationals and the coming week will see a major push in that direction. Good luck to you!

International student. Under review since 10/25. No news from Cornell yet. :roll:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V32
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 06:48
Sidhant wrote:

Congrats Sidhant.. btw did they give you any interview date? Curious to know how many days does one get to prepare for the interview?

Last edited by getshivam on 13 Nov 2011, 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 8

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2011, 08:10
Sidhant wrote:
getshivam wrote:
Sidhant wrote:

Congrats Sidhant.. btw did they give you any interview date? Curious to know how many days does one get to prepare for the interview?

Thanks Shivam. I haven't yet received my interview date. I received the email on the 10th but couldn't reply as I was traveling without access to email. The initial invite asked for my preference of mode for the interview - skype, phone, alum, or on campus. I replied on the 12th, but still haven't received a response. I guess the weekend came up and probably will see an email tomorrow with the interview date.

Congrats Sidhant!!! Any particular reason you opted for a phone interview. Just wondering if Cornell perfers one over the others.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 13 Nov 2011, 08:10