Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 10:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
I am an international applicant, and I want to know whether opting for off-campus interview would affect my application decision significantly?

The invite clearly mentions we strongly suggest you come on-campus and experience the school

However, I am not so enthusiastic on spending frivolously on air fare just to visit campus, and it takes almost a full day to journey in the plane. I have high regards for the school, but I would be spending and travelling just to go to Ithaca and back.

Does Johnson offer off-campus interview with any Alum?

Can peers and members chime in their opinions?

Thank you.

I am a domestic applicant, but I live in the Northwest so I could very well be an international applicant at least as far as distance is concerned. Due to work obligations (recently promoted and relocated), it was impossible for me to have my interview on campus. And so, I asked if I could schedule an off-campus interview with an alum. Unfortunately, they currently do not have any alums in my area, so I had to settle for a Skype interview with an AdCom member.

The first thing I did during my interview was emphasize how much I wanted to visit the campus, and that it was unfortunate that my current situation did not allow that. And then I made sure to discuss in detail how at least nine alums/current students, with whom I have spoken, have shared with me how amazing the Ithaca/Collegetown area is. I even mentioned the names of different places that they frequent(ed) during their stay there and why these are places that I would most likely love too. And of course, I spoke about how I really want to go to a school in a small town because it will enable me and my classmates to build long-lasting relationships, vs. a commuter school.

I think I did a pretty decent job of letting my interviewer know that I have done my research and that I would certainly enjoy my two years in Ithaca. Obviously, visiting campus is ideal, but I think there are ways to compensate for not flying to Ithaca for the interview. In any case, good luck!

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2013
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2011, 12:14
This post received
KUDOS
For what its worth, I'm a current student and didn't visit the campus for my interview (mine would have been a 15hr flight and a ton of money). As many others have already mentioned, its great to fly out if you have the time and money to do so but by no means is it an absolute necessity.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
My guess (not to be confused with facts) is that if you are an international that receives an invite, then you are in pretty good shape. For domestic applicants, I don't think it matters as much. For example, 25% of international applicants are interviewed with 75% accepted, and 75% of domestic applicants are interviewed with 25% accepted.

Basically, according to the BW stats, one can presume that being invited to interview leaves you with a roughly 50% chance of being admitted. Moving beyond that, however, I was just curious as to how that is broken down by domestic/international and whether being one or the other would change that roughly 50% chance at all.

BTW, is it bad decorum to ask for kudos? If not, can I get some?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2011, 12:10
This post received
KUDOS
BlueRobin wrote:
Are Alumni interviews better or Skype interviews for Cornell ?

Alumni interview is conducted by non-admissions people and they might not be sufficiently skilled to undertake and gather information through an interview intended for admissions.

Skype interview is conducted by Adcom, but the whole talking infront of the webcam by looking at it, and please adjust your volume, cant hear you!, is not so effective as a personal interview.

So given these circumstances, which option did peers choose and why?

You are correct. You may want to focus completely on telling your stories rather than getting distracted by something else. If the adcom interview is not face to face, we recommend alumni interview over phone/Skye interview. Also, the chances are higher that you can connect to a person better while talking to him/her in person than on Skye/phone. As far as the skills in interviewing is concerned, the alums who take interviews are well trained and guided by the admissions committee to take these interviews. In case of Johnson, most of these alums are the ones who were once a part of Johnson Admissions Group during their time at the school and are well versed with the application process.

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Last edited by bizschoolprep on 24 Nov 2011, 06:53, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.86
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 15:00
This post received
KUDOS
explorer21 wrote:
any upload their name and question on the top of their essays? does their app do that for you?

Don't want to make it hard to read by having a header of my name and the question with their header on top of it.

Please let me know... thanks!

The header has your name and the essay name (ie. goals_essay), but not the question. I put the question in italics at the top. The online app allows you to preview your app before you submit.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2011, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
shankzster wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Here's to hoping that I get a call sometime next week then.

I know this is the Johnson thread, but Fuqua is the absolute best fit for my goals... and this includes even all the so-called M7 schools. That's not to say that I would choose Fuqua over HBS if I got into HBS (big reason why I didn't apply to any M7 schools aside from my mediocre GMAT and horrid uGPA). But taking out the brand strength, Fuqua is my first choice.

Is Johnson your first choice?

Hmmm..In an ideal world, yes..but I need to take into account my financial situation....Let's just say that I'd love to go to Johnson.

Good luck then! Hope you get presented with a financial package of some sort. I'm just crossing my fingers for an acceptance. :)

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: International High IQ Society
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.68
WE: Operations (Commercial Banking)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 06:07
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I just called the Admissions office of Johnson and had the following conversation with them (verbatim):

"
Me: Hi, there are rumors floating around that Johnson is already rolling out their decisions for R1 applications. I'd like to confirm if that is the case.

Admission : Our decision notification is Dec 20th.

Me: Does that mean that we will not get the decision before that?

Admission: Yes
"

I think that clears it up. So, we can all breathe a sigh of relief and postpone this excitement/anxiety for a few more days.

If this information helped, kudos are welcome :)
1 KUDOS received
UCLA Thread Master
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [1] , given: 76

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
shankzster wrote:
Hi All,

I just called the Admissions office of Johnson and had the following conversation with them (verbatim):

"
Me: Hi, there are rumors floating around that Johnson is already rolling out their decisions for R1 applications. I'd like to confirm if that is the case.

Admission : Our decision notification is Dec 20th.

Me: Does that mean that we will not get the decision before that?

Admission: Yes
"

I think that clears it up. So, we can all breathe a sigh of relief and postpone this excitement/anxiety for a few more days.

If this information helped, kudos are welcome :)

While I don't doubt that you did have this conversation, my friend did indeed get an admit call yesterday, I'm just reporting what I heard, do with it what you want.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 19:50
This post received
KUDOS
I got admitted into Johnson as well... Call came yesterday. Applied by the Nov 15th Consortium deadline, but was a known quantity with the program.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Johnson '14 (WL)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V36
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:02
This post received
KUDOS
snowbolster wrote:
Where the status update should appear? Is it in the application?

because my submission status says: "submitted" and nothing more.

Hi Snowbolster, the status update is underneath the Submission Status. Here is what my looks like.

" Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/1/2011 4:01:00 PM EST
Complete - Your application is complete for final review by the selection committee. We will post your final decision or send an update by 9 a.m. Eastern time on the published notification date for your round. "
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2011, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
snowbolster wrote:
yjiang42 wrote:
snowbolster wrote:
Where the status update should appear? Is it in the application?

because my submission status says: "submitted" and nothing more.

Hi Snowbolster, the status update is underneath the Submission Status. Here is what my looks like.

" Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 10/1/2011 4:01:00 PM EST
Complete - Your application is complete for final review by the selection committee. We will post your final decision or send an update by 9 a.m. Eastern time on the published notification date for your round. "

Hi, thanks for the prompt response.

However, I don't have such a line underneath the submission status.

Should I contact the admissions and ask why is that?

Hey snowbolster,

That status is for R1 applicants, who have already interviewed. Are you an R1 applicant?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2011, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
unit157 wrote:
I think it's brutal we hear from Darden the day after Johnson. Imagine two dings, back-to-back.

You're a horrible person for even mentioning that possibility.

unit157 wrote:
Yea, although I think we are all just anxious in general. The timing of the release doesn't affect our individual chances at all, so in a way, them calling ahead of the deadline is a gift. I am glad they are doing it so at least I know there is a chance to hear before the 20th.

I agree somewhat. I would be completely fine being the last person notified of acceptance because, like you said, the order of notification has no meaning whatsoever. However, the fact that other people have received acceptances while I have not, introduces the possibility of a ding whereas if no one has received notification, I have no reason to suspect being denied.
In general, though, I haven't begun to actually worry yet.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Avault wrote:
threestripes wrote:
Congrats, gl! :)

Is it just me or are most of the admits so far the ones who interviewed within the last couple of weeks? Do they have a LIFO admit calling process?

Maybe they just didn't like any of us that interviewed early ;-P

That's probably it! :lol:

shorttheworld wrote:
i was gonna ask was there ANYONE who submitted an app who didnt submit a park application as well?!

I didn't.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2011, 20:05
This post received
KUDOS
threestripes wrote:

Cool. I actually think a random process is better.

A random process matches up the best with the rest of the process as well. There was really no rhyme or reason behind the timing of application review or interview invite either. It seems to make sense that the selection process / admit calls would be just as random.

It would be nice if I actually found comfort in my own reasoning though! lol.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 18

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2011, 18:28
This post received
KUDOS
unit157 wrote:
Well, not getting a call today was at least tempered by a duke invite.

Cheers to a long shot on Monday!

And hopefully some exellent news to come on Wednesday!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.9

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 3

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 15:23
This post received
KUDOS
Woo! Got the call over dinner. I'm in!

What a relief. Thanks to all for keeping my hopes high!

Call came in at 6:20pm est.

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2011, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
unit157 wrote:
Woo! Got the call over dinner. I'm in!

What a relief. Thanks to all for keeping my hopes high!

Call came in at 6:20pm est.

Nice one! Congrats, unit157! Feeding your gf was all it took! :-D

1 KUDOS received
Retired Thread Master
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.99
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2011, 17:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hey All, FYI I just received an email with scholarship information (including the amount offered). It mentions that all Park Fellow finalists have already been notified. Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2012, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
The GMATClub 80% range for Johnson applicants was 680-750. Since Johnson's GMAT avg (not median) hovers below 700 I am inclined to think that the GMATclub is on fire and that PTK is a douche.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Johnson '14 (M)

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2012, 12:15
This post received
KUDOS
Hey all -

So for anyone else that might have had the same question I had earlier I figured i would just provide a little update. I called the financial aid office at johnson yesterday and got some more info. Basically, new this year, Cornell has 3 "scholarship weekends" all somewhat related to the Park fellowship. Being invited to a weekend does NOT guarantee you some sort of scholarship, but by very definition of the event - you have a pretty good shot of at least receiving something. The weekend is comprised mainly of interviews and team building events, and at the end of the weekend - the park fellows are announced along with all other scholarships that are given out (the amount they have available is subject to change given yield, attendance, etc.)

It is my impression that at the end of this weekend you'll either be told you're getting some $, $$, $$$, Park Fellow or tough luck and thanks for coming out (maybe they just slip you an envelope?). They told me specifically that I will not be receiving any scholarship info before then. That Seems a little strange to me bc i know people on this board have reported receiving emails with scholarship info, but apparently thats not the case for me. Maybe it's bc I'm a Consortium applicant? Who knows. Does anyone have any more information they could share with regards to how these weekends work?? Anyone have any clue as to what to expect at one of these weekends? How to best prepare, if you can at all?

Simply getting an admit to Johnson was a dream come true and anything on top of that would be extra icing on the cake, so I'm not really stressing it. I'm just trying to figure out as many deets as possible, so that if needed, I can best prepare.

Hope that helps some people out there. Would love to hear others thoughts on this.

Thanks.
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 17 Jan 2012, 12:15