Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos

Which one?

You may select 1 option
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Johnson MBA / Stanford MS. Help me decide please! [#permalink]
my research proved that there were many people went into consulting and finance jobs. but of course no idea about their backgrounds.

I'm leaning towards Stanford as also falibay mentioned I might get an MBA 3-4 years later. I believe Stanford MS would absolutely make a great addition to my resume both for my career prospects and for my prospective MBA in the future...

any thoughts?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
Stanford would no doubt be a great addition to your resume (especially if your planning to pursue an MBA again later)..

But do you want to jump ship now (do you hate your current work) ?? or is it ok for you to take a similar job after your MS..wait and apply mba later..and then do the job switch right after?
I would think it's really tough in this economy to switch your career track especially if you don't have the opportunity to intern somewhere else first. Cornell would allow you to intern in the summer.

I know this is not your question..but If you get into wharton (hopefully you can make it)...I would recommend you going there...easy.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Are you sure that the finance track at Stanford is really like a "traditional" finance track (in the MBA sense)? Or is it more of an engineering management-ish type finance track? I have a friend who's headed to the Stanford program next year, and his impression is that the program is definitely niched into specifically engineering management (as opposed to the broad management opportunities afforded by an MBA).

Aren't the average starting salaries out of Stanford like 70k-75k or so (I'm not sure about this, I just thought I remembered my friend saying this). Compare this with the average salaries out of top MBA programs at more like 100k-120k. My point isn't that people, on average, make more money out of MBA programs and that you should go where people report higher salaries - it's that this might suggest that there are very different opportunities out of the two programs (additionally, consider that the Stanford program is only 1-year).

So I guess my point is that in light of the difference in starting salaries, the possible difference in focus between the programs (specifically engineering management versus traditional MBA finance/management), and the difference in length of the programs, I would ask if the finance opportunities out of Stanford are really like the finance opportunities out of top MBA programs. Maybe they are, maybe they aren't - I would just look closely at it. If they're not, I would definitely vote Cornell if "traditional" MBA-type finance is your career goal. That's my two cents.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Cornell Johnson School
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Ozzie - at DJ I am going to convince you to come to Johnson!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys,

Thank you very much for spending time to write to me in order to make some useful comments. All of you have some valid points but the fact that Cornell's tuition more than doubles Stanford makes me very uncomfortable.

In fact, I am really not sure about getting a traditional post-MBA job with those well-known salaries especially in this market.

At this time, I am leaning towards Stanford, and the fact that I can have my MBA later in 3-4 years again at another top 15 (maybe top 5 after US career and a Stanford degree in my hand) seems very interesting to me.

wonderheaven, you gotta try very hard buddy.. :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
if you're planning on getting your mba later, i'd go for stanford ms.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Decision made for me.

If Wharton does not accept me, it is Stanford. I informed Johnson about my decision. Good luck to those waitlisted at Johnson. I hope some of you will get my place!

Thanks to those voting in my thread!
GMAT Club Bot