Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [1]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Re: Join a prep class or not ? [#permalink]
Kudos
I think bb had some excellent points.

One that I would like to dwell on a little is the way in which you are doing your self-study. From your answers to bb's questions, it sounds like the bulk of your studying revolves around solving questions. Are you going back and re-analyzing the questions to figure out exactly what you did that made them wrong? Are you then finding other ways in which you can redo the same problem and other routes to the correct answer? Are you taking the time to really learn the basic concepts before launching into more problems (for example, are you firm on general permutations and combinations? Can you solve a linear equation or pick out the subject and verb in any sentence?) Those basic skills are really the foundational groundwork that lay the base for further study. If you do want to continue to self-study, I would suggest definitely spending some time on those.

You might find this article helpful: https://www.manhattangmat.com/strategy-s ... t-prep.cfm

And also - just to throw it out there - we do offer a self-study program which I think you would find very beneficial: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep-self-study.cfm (but obviously I'm biased towards our own programs!)

Best,
Caitlin Clay
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi there, a few quick questions:

1. What was your score when you started studying? You are 630 level right now; where were you before?
2. When you are working on OG 12, do you set a time limit?
3. Taking a class is one alternative, what would be your other alternative?

Couple thoughts for you:
1. You won't improve RC by just practicing
2. Accuracy in OG does not mean much as the questions are in a easy to hard order; 50% accuracy at the end is better than 90% in the beginning
3. There is a significant overlap between OG 10 and PowerPrep - keep that in mind
4. Solving a lot of questions does not guarantee a high score
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Founder,

Thank you very much for your immediate reply.

Here are the answers.

1. What was your score when you started studying?

I am sorry, it will look strange but I didn't take test before.
When I started with GMAT, I tried a couple of Maths problems from forum, I realized that I am making mistakes in simple maths calculations as I got addicted to calculator from last 10 yrs. Even though my Maths fundamentals are quite good, I was not sure that I could solve a single question from diagnostic. I know this is not a good start. But can't travel back to change it.

2. When you are working on OG 12, do you set a time limit?

Yes, I timed every question. I am happy with my timings so far.
I can solve / some times guess the answer in the allocated time for each question. The same is true with my timings of mock tests.

3. Taking a class is one alternative, what would be your other alternative?

My other alternative is self study. I bought books specified in this forum which can occupy me for another month. My next study plan is solving official guide supplements for Quant and Verbal and then Kaplan Advanced.
Now it doesn't matter for me whether I apply in R1 or R2 what matters the most for me is getting the possibly highest score for me.
Again, I am not working for a year now so the next carrier leap for me is doing MBA.

I heard many people saying that practice and practice..that will improve your score. I thought so before reading your post.

After analyzing my performance in OG and Mgmat test,
I can tell you that, I can solve almost all simple problems, I can solve half of the medium hard problems and very few from of the hard level problems.

Very helpful thoughts given here on my post. Your guidance is very much valuable to me.

Thanks again.
sstudy
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72883 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't know about should you or should not take the class - that's a personal decision. I have changed my mind on it a few times. I would say that if your time is worth money, I would definitely take the class but if you are between jobs or a student and spending extra time on research and stumbling around is not costing you anything, then you may keep trying with self-study.

As to what you should do, may sound obvious, but the key is knowing why you can solve those medium/hard questions and making sure you do the next time you encounter them...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks very much for your reply.
Yes, I understand it's a personal decision and hopefully I will decide it soon.
However your inputs have given me a direction to think.

Thanks for writing it.
sstudy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Hussain and gurpreetsingh for your replies..
I will decide soon upon this.

Thanks again
sstudy
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dear Caitlin

Thank you very much for your reply. I went through the post you suggested. It is pretty impressive. I am following that now. I already have all the 8 books. I guess that will suffice for studies. As you correctly stated I am not revising my mistakes very throughly. I don't feel enthusiastic to go through all the questions I solved. That may be the reason I am lagging. Thanks for brining it to my attention.

Will write you more about my progress.

With Regards,
sstudy
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Relations
Send PM
Hi Sstudy,

I'm so glad you found the article useful! It sounds like you're on the right track to some good study habits. Let me know if you need anything else!

Best,
Caitlin
GMAT Club Bot