Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 22:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joint JD/MBA?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Joint JD/MBA? [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 12:36
I'm wondering who here has done a JD/MBA. The idea of doing such a joint program has been on my mind a lot lately; this is largely motivated by aspirations to follow in the footsteps of my father, who went to Northwestern.

The big thing holding me back, however, is that I'm not sure if the potential rewards justify the effort that must be invested in terms of not only attending b-school and law school simultaneously but also in terms of juggling LSAT & GMAT prep and law school and b-school apps all while maintaining a full-time job.

The reason why I'd get a joint degree would be more to allow the JD to augment my business knowledge, and not the other way around. For example, I feel as though a coherent understanding of securities/corporate law would be invaluable for a banker.

So please share your joint program experiences here--preparation, application, school, and post-grad.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 15:21
Northwestern doesn't require the LSAT for the JD/MBA...GMAT is all you need. But pretty sure they're unique in this aspect.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 120 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2007, 18:17
Most, if not all, national universities allow applicants to apply for the joint JD/MBA after matriculating into either the business or law school. You must submit your materials by the fall or winter deadline however, which could be a very nerveracking process.

Essentially, about half of the LSAT and GMAT overlap, so you would do yourself a tremendous favor by studying LSAT CRs RCs and logical puzzles while you tackle GMAT math and SCs. I would think that many of your LORs and essays might be able to dovetail as well.

As dukes points out, Northwestern is probably one of the only recognized schools that accepts the GMAT only. Keep in mind that the competition is incredibly fierce strictly because of that laxed requirement. Offhand, I recall something like 10% of all applicants are offered a seat- roughly the same chances a Stanford applicant faces.

Another not quite as tooth and nail accelerated three year JD/MBA to consider is Kelley.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2007, 15:43
I would recommend not going going to law school unless you want to practice law. There are some threads here comparing law school and business school. Take a look.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 427 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2007, 21:36
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 07:36
I think it really depends on what you want to do. I applied to Northwestern's JD-MBA program and am starting this fall. From my research and networking with the class, half of NU's students will stay on the business side while half will follow legal pursuits. My intention is the former.

I haven't begun classes yet, obviously - but am happy to be a sounding board if you needed.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 13:34
What are the age demographics like in JD/MBA programs? Law school applicants tend to be ~22, whereas MBA applicants tend to be ~27.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2007, 13:51
sludge wrote:
What are the age demographics like in JD/MBA programs? Law school applicants tend to be ~22, whereas MBA applicants tend to be ~27.

NU's JD-MBA program has an average student age of 27 or 28. It's a little unique from the regular law program in that the school actually looks for more mature candidates with work experience. They (admissions) really focus on understanding WHY you need BOTH degrees to fulfill your career path.

This is the only school/program I applied to based on what I learned, so I'm not sure about age in other JD-MBA programs...
  [#permalink] 12 Jun 2007, 13:51