Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jon Clark's study of the effect of the modernization of a

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS '16, Stanford '16
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 16

Jon Clark's study of the effect of the modernization of a [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 17:37
Discussed in detail at the below mentioned link
jon-clark-s-study-of-the-effect-of-the-modernization-of-a-88689.html#p669013

Jon Clark's study of the effect of the modernization of a telephone exchange on exchange maintenance work and workers is a solid contributionto a debate that encompasses two lively issues in the history and sociology of technology: technological determinism and social constructivism.
Clark makes the point that characteristics of a technology have a decisive influence on job skills and work organization (this is called technological determinism). Put more strongly, technology can be a primary determinant of social and managerial organization. Clark believes this possibility has been obscured by recent sociological fashion, called social constructivism.
(...)
Clark refutes the extremes of the constructivists by both theorical and empirical arguments. (...) Thus Clark helps answer the question: "When is social choice decisive and when are the concrete characteristics of technology more important?

The primary purpose of the passage is to
A. advocate a more positive attitude toward technological change
B. discuss the implications for employees of the modernization of a telephone Exchange
C. consider a successful challenge to the constructivist view of technological change
D. challenge the position of advocates of technological determinism
E. suggest that the social causes of technological change should be studied in real situations

Please your help with a doubt I have in this question. I have reduced the passage to help you:

The OA is C, and I agree, but the word "successful" doesn't sound good to me. The author believes that Clark's study is successful, but it doesn't mean that really it is successful or that I believe it is successful.
It seems that the choice is suggesting that the study is really successful, which we don't know.

Please, tell me whether I am wrong with this claim and why.
Thanks!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2265 [0], given: 691

Re: Social constructivism [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 04:02
Expert's post
well

What you have pasted is not useful to understand completely the main point or gist of the passage

here is the 3rd paragraph

Quote:
Clark refutes the extremes of the constructivists
by both theoretical and empirical arguments.

Theoretically he defi nes “technology” in terms of
relationships between social and technical variables.
Attempts to reduce the meaning of technology to
cold, hard metal are bound to fail, for machinery is
just scrap unless it is organized functionally and
supported by appropriate systems of operation and
maintenance. At the empirical level Clark shows how
a change at the telephone exchange from
maintenance-intensive electromechanical switches
to semielectronic switching systems altered work
tasks, skills, training opportunities, administration,
and organization of workers.
Some changes Clark
attributes to the particular way management and
labor unions negotiated the introduction of the
technology, whereas others are seen as arising from the capabilities and nature of the technology itself.
Thus Clark helps answer the question: “When is
social choice decisive and when are the concrete
characteristics of technology more important?”

as you can see from my highlighted parts clear Clark challenges the constructivism and how, with clear points in positive. so successful. Do not streess too much on a single word.

NEVER. Trying to understand really the whole picture and main point (and the rest) comes up almost suddenly

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 1526 [0], given: 248

Re: Social constructivism [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 08:14
Expert's post
The fact is that Clarke counters the extremes of the constructivists with sufficient empirical and logical arguments. So it is success enough in that sense. For an RC, there is no need to analyze as is done in CR.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 487

Kudos [?]: 1995 [2] , given: 30

Re: Social constructivism [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2013, 16:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
danzig wrote:
The OA is C, and I agree, but the word "successful" doesn't sound good to me. The author believes that Clark's study is successful, but it doesn't mean that really it is successful or that I believe it is successful.
It seems that the choice is suggesting that the study is really successful, which we don't know.
Please, tell me whether I am wrong with this claim and why.
Thanks!

I am responding to a pm from danzig. I like what carcass and daagh have to say on this page. I will just say --- I think you are reading too much into the phrase "successfully challenge."

Suppose you make an argument about something. Suppose I "successfully challenge" this argument. That doesn't necessarily mean that I completely obliterate your position, making it logically impossible for you or anyone else ever to hold that position again. That's too strong. All it means to challenge an argument is to raise serious objections, such that you would have to answer my objections or re-adjust your position to maintain the integrity of your argument. If I just say, "I don't agree", but don't say anything else, that's not a particularly successful challenge because it doesn't really require you to respond. A successful challenge requires an authentic response of some kind.

Here, the social constructivists staked out some position, and then Clark raised some serious objections to this position. It's not necessarily a complete rebuttal --- just objections. The social constructivists, in order to be taken serious, will have to answer these objections. In other words, Clark's analysis demands a response from them. That's a successful challenge.

Does that make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Jon Clark's study of the effect of the modernization of a [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2014, 04:14
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Jon Clark's study of the effect of the modernization of a   [#permalink] 28 Jun 2014, 04:14