Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2013, 19:43
No problem! Thats all true. The same goes with the alumni network when you are actually in the school. Although the alumni network is smaller than other schools, the quality of the connections is higher -- alumni take a greater interest in you.

lahai1dj wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
It's amazing to see current students helping out!
Thanks Texigan and UTDB :)

Ditto! I have found Rice people more willing to help than those from any other school. In addition to current students, the alumni and professors are all approachable and then tend to be more than happy to speak with you.
Current Student
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 274 [0], given: 67

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2013, 13:44
My application status shows complete date is 23-09-2013....

Generally by wen the college rolls out decision fr interview any idea...

Archit
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 16:29
UTDB wrote:
pk87 wrote:
In for round 1..

Met Katie from admissions in India a few days back. Had a very pleasant conversation about the program and social life.

Hi Texigan, UTDB,

Thanks for helping us out! Any of you in the energy concentration? I had some specific queries.

I plan to concentrate in Energy but us first-years are only taking core courses right now so I'm not sure how much insight I'll be able to provide.

Hi, UTDB, thanks a lot for your kindness to help us~~ I wanna know when the concentration will be selected. After the first semester? Will you have any field visit to the energy companies? or the energy club will hold some events or workshops for students to meet with those potential recruiters in energy?

Look forward to hear from you~Tks again and have a nice day!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Human Resources
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 22:08
HI

I am not able to find any deadlines for the full time MBA Program
Can one please help me out with that
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2013, 22:21
Can somebody advise if i should to apply to Jones RICE university with GMAT 570?
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 10:51
oliverlok wrote:
UTDB wrote:
pk87 wrote:
In for round 1..

Met Katie from admissions in India a few days back. Had a very pleasant conversation about the program and social life.

Hi Texigan, UTDB,

Thanks for helping us out! Any of you in the energy concentration? I had some specific queries.

I plan to concentrate in Energy but us first-years are only taking core courses right now so I'm not sure how much insight I'll be able to provide.

Hi, UTDB, thanks a lot for your kindness to help us~~ I wanna know when the concentration will be selected. After the first semester? Will you have any field visit to the energy companies? or the energy club will hold some events or workshops for students to meet with those potential recruiters in energy?

Look forward to hear from you~Tks again and have a nice day!

We start taking electives next semester. We get to take one each term. Second year is all electives. As for selecting a concentration, I don't think there is any hard deadline to do so. You just have a certain number of hours and specific courses you need to take to complete a concentration. You work with the registrar to make that happen.

To your second question, the school does a great job of organizing field trips through both the Career Management Center (CMC) and through the Energy Club. The Energy Club has already had one visit this semester with 3-4 more planned for the remainder of the school year. The CMC is doing full day treks next week and ~80% of the companies we will visit are energy companies. On top of that, there have already been 7-8 on campus info sessions with companies in Oil and Gas. I hear that it picks up even more after fall break.

I hope this helps!
Current Student

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 10:54
ankita1586 wrote:
HI

I am not able to find any deadlines for the full time MBA Program
Can one please help me out with that

From the FT MBA website (http://business.rice.edu/FullTime_Admissions_FAQ.aspx)

Admission Round--Application Deadline--Decision Date
1--October 28, 2013--December 6, 2013
2--January 6, 2014--February 28, 2014
3--February 24, 2014--April 4, 2014
4--April 7, 2014--May 9, 2014
Current Student

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 10:57
Archit143 wrote:
My application status shows complete date is 23-09-2013....

Generally by wen the college rolls out decision fr interview any idea...

Archit

I got my invite two days after submitting my app, but if I remember correctly, people last year were getting invites up to a week or so before the round decision deadline.
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.09
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2013, 19:42
@UTDB, Quite helpful!Thanks a lot~~:)
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 15

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 03:00
texigan wrote:
lahai1dj wrote:
texigan wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm in the Jones school right now. I'm happy to answer any questions about:

-Application Process
-Rice
-The GMAT

Good luck!

-- JH

Hi Texigan,

That is very kind of you to be so helpful!

How does the Action Learning Project work? Do you select the industry/function et cetera and the University representatives find a company with a project? This sounds like a great differentiator for Rice as it gives career changers, like me, another set of experiences.

Also, I am curious to know the source of the handle, "Texigan."

Thanks,

DL

Hey,

Action Learning Project (ALP as it is called around here) is pretty cool. There are about 20 different projects throughout various industries and functions. The Jones School pre-organizes them with companies. In your second semester, you select which projects interest you. Student Services then matches you with one of your top ALP choices.

Texigan = Tex(as)(Mich)igan

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Anything I can do to help.

Cheers

JH

Dear Texigan,

Thanks for the info.

I noticed that the ALP takes place during the Spring semester of the first year. I also observed that you have normal classes during that semester (for example Data Analysis II, Ethics, Leadership etc.). Can you please throw some light on the timings? Do you work on the ALP on certain days of the week and classes on the other days? Are all the ALP host companies based in Houston? How many days do you spend working at the company's office during the entire thirteen week period? Also does the ALP include Capstone cases?

Thank you.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 82

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2013, 07:50
texigan wrote:
No problem! Thats all true. The same goes with the alumni network when you are actually in the school. Although the alumni network is smaller than other schools, the quality of the connections is higher -- alumni take a greater interest in you.

lahai1dj wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
It's amazing to see current students helping out!
Thanks Texigan and UTDB :)

Ditto! I have found Rice people more willing to help than those from any other school. In addition to current students, the alumni and professors are all approachable and then tend to be more than happy to speak with you.

Regarding the smaller alumni network...

I agree, that is a detriment to a program; however, the JSB does circumvent this issue very well. Previously, I spoke with a Rice alum who told me about his experience landing his post-MBA position in a field with a small JSB presence. The CMC (Career Management Center) extended their "alumni" networking beyond the JSB and included all Rice alumni and he was able to land a position with a choice employer without delay.

kudos are appreciated

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 21:24
HI ,

AS the MBA program at Rice has 4 deadlines. Is it advisable for a international applicant to apply in Round 3 i.e is by 25 th february .? what are the chances of getting a aid if i apply in the 3rd round
Said Oxford Thread Master
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 33

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2013, 22:07
Submitted my application on Oct 13th, completed my interview during The MBA Tour event in India in Sept, now eagerly awaiting for the final decision...
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 10:55
All the best!! Did u get any interview invite?

I am also submitting my app for R1.

aa2012 wrote:
Submitted my application on Oct 13th, completed my interview during The MBA Tour event in India in Sept, now eagerly awaiting for the final decision...
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 33

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:00
This post received
KUDOS
mbanerd16 wrote:

aa2012 wrote:

I completed my interview before submitting my application
Current Student

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:11
Thanks nice.

I attended MBA fair in SF last month and met assistant director of admissions. There was no on the spot interviews at that time. Actually I made up mind for Rice after that discussion only. I believe Rice is a very good school with a unique curriculam.

Assistant Director of Admissions said 'You are a perfect fit for the school' and also waived my application fee which was a surprise for me. :)

Honestly speaking, I am looking forward to Rice, although I am applying to lot of schools to manage the risk. It will be a touch choice in case I get 2-3 offers, in that case I am sure I'll strongly consider Rice.
I am also applying to Canadian schools as I need to cover up for visa issues that might arise later on in US.

aa2012 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

aa2012 wrote:

Current Student

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:13
aa2012 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

aa2012 wrote:

What is your profile buddy?

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 33

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2013, 11:22
mbanerd16 wrote:
aa2012 wrote:
mbanerd16 wrote:

What is your profile buddy?

Indian candidate with 6 years experience (by July 2014) in Indian Timeshare/ Vacation Ownership industry
Functional Area: Analytics and strategy development.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: Q44 V38
GPA: 3.7
WE: Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 82

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2013, 18:38
It seems like everybody is getting application waivers! I am the only one who actually paid the $150? :P

kudos are appreciated

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 22:37
Hi All,

While working on the online application, I encountered a roadblock while reporting my CGPA for the undergraduate course that I attended. The application requires me to report the CGPA on a 4.0 scale. However, my school (and associated transcripts) report the CGPA on 10.0 scale. Additionally, the college does not provide any instructions for converting the CGPA into a 4.0 scale.

I tried using some of the tools available online in order to convert the GPA but on inspection, I can see that their conversion scales are a not valid or not applicable to the grades that I have received. For example, the WES iGPA calculator considers all Indian transcripts to have marks presented on the percentage scale (out of 100). My transcripts use letter grades and hence this tool would not be useful to convert my CGPA.

Can you please point me in the right direction and process to convert my CGPA into the 4.0 scale.

Institution details follow : -

Undergraduate Institution : National Institute of Technology Karnataka, Surathkal, India (http://nitk.ac.in)
CGPA (on a scale of 10) : 5.93 / 10.0
CGPA (last 2 years of study) : 6.22 / 10.0

Thanks in Advance
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2013, 22:37