Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 14:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: HBS '15
GMAT Date: 09-21-2013
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Nov 2013, 23:40
Does anyone know how many consulting companies (IE. PwC, McKinsey, Deloitte, Accenture) recruit from Rice? How heavily do they recruit?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Technology
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 15

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 06:58
This post received
KUDOS
kunzi wrote:
Congrats Siddharth for the interview.

Adcoms are aware about internet issues and a disconnect will not reflect in any way on your performance.

Can you please share your interview experience and the type of questions asked. It'll help the rest of the applicants.

Thank You.

siddharthkanjilal wrote:
Interview done. I thought it went well even though my VPN got disconnected in between.

Now the wait starts!

Kunzi, thanks for your response. Skype is actually banned where I live (Oman), and I need to use a VPN to access it.

Regarding the interview, it was very conversational. I know this has been mentioned several times before but believe me that is exactly how it was. It was the kind of conversation you would have while having coffee. The interviewer, a second year student, was very friendly and gave me a very good idea about life at the university and in Houston in general. He also told me about the developments that Houston has made other than in the Energy sector (Healthcare, Houston Space Station to name a few).

As far as the questions are concerned, they were the same -> Take me through your resume? Why MBA? Why Rice? Questions you would want to ask me? While going through the resume he asked me some more questions relevant to that project/responsibility most probably to measure my leadership and interpersonal skills.

Hope this helps and wish everyone else the very best for their respective interviews.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Nov 2013, 07:01
vabhs192003 wrote:
gmattaker08 wrote:
seems RICE is inviting a good number of applicants...probably beyond a certain GMAT score !...

Also, i read on the admissions blog that most of the interviews are conducted by 2nd year students !

How close can we consider ourselves if invited for interview? Does everyone who apply gets invite?

PS: I also got invite... But application status didn't change...received an email without any date mentioned

Well No. Not every one who has applied is getting the call. I didnt!!! :cry: :cry:

But yeah I agree, clearly they are drawing a line when it comes to GMAT. Lets hope for the best. Is every one receiving email notification?(some say the application status remains the same :shock: )

Anyways, hoping for the best.

My application status is still the same and I think someone has confirmed that it does not change from "SUBMITTED". Do not worry about the interview, it is only a matter of time since I read in last year's thread that Rice interviews almost 50% of its applicants. Your GMAT score and GPA are both much higher than mine, so I think its only a matter of time before you get the email. All the best.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.81
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 12

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Nov 2013, 21:27
Any fresh invites over the last 2 days? or Interview experiences?

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 90

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 10:18
Thanx Siddharth.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 10 Nov 2013, 20:33
chestud13 wrote:
Does anyone know how many consulting companies (IE. PwC, McKinsey, Deloitte, Accenture) recruit from Rice? How heavily do they recruit?

McKinsey, all the big 4, and several other firms. I think ~15% of the class goes to consulting. Go to business.rice.edu --> Prospective Students --> Student Career Development to see the actual lists
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Owen '16 (M)
GPA: 3.6
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 4

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 15:25
Rice MBA is under-rated but it has very huge potential in Consulting. No Doubt!!
We will surely see a surge in Consulting jobs/salaries/intake in coming years.

All the best to everyone!! I am applying for Consulting.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Schools: Jones '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.42
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 17:39
I finished my interview yesterday and it was really conversational as @siddharthkanjilal said. A second-year student conducted the interview and she is nice. What I want to share is that besides traditional Why MBA? Career goal? questions, she asked me a behavior question "Describe one thing that has lasting impact to your organization".

Generally speaking, the interview was very relaxing. No need to worry. BTW, the final decision date will be December 6th, according to the student.
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 18:18
I submitted my app for R1 and one of my recommender has not submitted LOR yet. I got an email from ad com stating that my app will be pushed to R2. I called my recommender yesterday and he said he will do it on 11/11 by evening.
I am really scared now. I gave so much of time & effort for Rice to meet R1 and looks like because of LOR my app will be pushed to R2.

What are my options? Can ad com give 1-2 days extension? I am very keen on Rice and don't want to loose on R1 slot.
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 20:01
Is any one else getting fresh invite for interview. I am guessing, the univ is done sending interview invites for R1? :o

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 20:03
Just got my 2nd LOR in. I'll be considered for R1 and my app will go for review. Hopefully I'll get an invite in a week or so.

vabhs192003 wrote:
Is any one else getting fresh invite for interview. I am guessing, the univ is done sending interview invites for R1? :o
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 20:03
Anyone went for on-campus interview?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 20:28
Durward wrote:
I finished my interview yesterday and it was really conversational as @siddharthkanjilal said. A second-year student conducted the interview and she is nice. What I want to share is that besides traditional Why MBA? Career goal? questions, she asked me a behavior question "Describe one thing that has lasting impact to your organization".

Generally speaking, the interview was very relaxing. No need to worry. BTW, the final decision date will be December 6th, according to the student.

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience - Durward..What exactly do you mean by behavior questions?Can you elaborate?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Sustainability
Schools: Jones '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.42
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2013, 21:56
bohemian86 wrote:
Durward wrote:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience - Durward..What exactly do you mean by behavior questions?Can you elaborate?

Behavioral questions will definitely show up during your interview. They are a series of questions started like "describe a situation/scene that you overcome a difficulty/work in a group, etc." To answer this type of questions, follow the principle of STAR, which means Situation, Task, Action and Result. Please Google it for more details. You should prepare several cases that can demonstrate your leadership or teamwork, and tell the story following the STAR principle. Every story can be used for answering multiple questions, so if you prepare 4 or 5 cases according to typical behavioral questions, you can handle the question which might be asked in the interview.
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 10:15
Got a confirmation from ad com, my app is in for R1. Hopefully I'll get i/v invite soon.
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 11:10
mbanerd16 wrote:
Got a confirmation from ad com, my app is in for R1. Hopefully I'll get i/v invite soon.

Hey MBANerd,

Keep the group or me :-D :lol: posted on proceedings. Even I am waiting for some kind of development on application front!!

Citius, Altius, Fortius

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 12:19
got an interview invite.. Would be scheduling through Skype...
:) :) :)

-
Matrix123
Manager
Manager

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 14:34
Does anyone has an idea about H1B to F1 visa conversion? Can an H1B holder apply for F1 visa? I am working on H1B and I have to leave my employer for MBA, so I would need F1.

I heard that H1B holder are not eligible for F1.

Can anyone please help with this?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2013, 20:47
[/quote]Behavioral questions will definitely show up during your interview. They are a series of questions started like "describe a situation/scene that you overcome a difficulty/work in a group, etc." To answer this type of questions, follow the principle of STAR, which means Situation, Task, Action and Result. Please Google it for more details. You should prepare several cases that can demonstrate your leadership or teamwork, and tell the story following the STAR principle. Every story can be used for answering multiple questions, so if you prepare 4 or 5 cases according to typical behavioral questions, you can handle the question which might be asked in the interview.[/quote]

Thanks! will definitely prepare along these lines!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 15

Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2013, 09:34
Durward wrote:
Behavioral questions will definitely show up during your interview. They are a series of questions started like "describe a situation/scene that you overcome a difficulty/work in a group, etc."

During the interview, this question was not asked separately but I did give an example while discussing one of my project experiences, so I guess that is why he did not ask it again.

Dunward - Thanks for letting us know about the decision date. I don't think I was told about this at the end of my interview.

All the best to those who have got the invites recently and do keep us posted.
Re: Jones (Rice) Class of 2016 Calling all applicants!   [#permalink] 14 Nov 2013, 09:34