Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Joseph Glatthaar�s Forged in Battle is not the first

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 11

Re: Forged in Battle -- RC Passage [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2010, 22:16
My pick
ABDDCADE

For Q5, D is too extreme to say,

"policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in his war, was twice as great"

C makes sense as high mortality death rates were due to their assignments.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Finance
Schools: MIT (Sloan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 501 [1] , given: 70

Re: Forged in Battle -- RC Passage [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2011, 04:26
This post received
KUDOS
Hi!

I chose C for Q5. You should avoid an answer choice whenever it brings extreme words that were not used by the author. This is what happened with D. C is perfect, as the author uses "thus" to link the casualties clause with a premise, which is that black units served in rear-echelon assignments and worked in labor battalions.

gattupalli wrote:
This is a passage from 1000 RC... I have a problem with the OA given for Q5 .
My answers were B,B,D,B,D,A,D,E. The OA given was A,B,D,B,C,C,D,E. I feel the answer for question 5 should be D.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 3

Re: Joseph Glatthaar�s Forged in Battle is not the first [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 17:01
I am also a little confused abt qs 5
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: Joseph Glatthaar�s Forged in Battle is not the first [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2011, 18:47
ashiima wrote:
I am also a little confused abt qs 5

Q 5 has been forged from the following portion of the passage:

That chance remained limited throughout the war by army policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in his war, was twice as great.

Suggestion questions are just like inference questions , things that must be true. As you can see, the passage just states that, the mortality rates because of disease was twice as high for black soldiers as for white soldiers => Choice C. Choice D gives an statement that MAY BE true but not necessarily.

Crick
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Joseph Glatthaar�s Forged in Battle is not the first [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 10:33
NICE ONE!!!
I GOT 5 RIGHT AND THREE WRONG. FIVE WAS QUITE CONFUSING
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Forged in Battle -- RC Passage [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2013, 22:44
ramana wrote:
My pick
ABDDCADE

For Q5, D is too extreme to say,

"policies that kept most Black units serving in rear-echelon assignments and working in labor battalions. Thus, while their combat death rate was only one-third that of White units, their mortality rate from disease, a major killer in his war, was twice as great"

C makes sense as high mortality death rates were due to their assignments.

Why not A . A clearly mentions that the mortality rate of black was almost double of that of white soldiers. I mean can we not say that it was almost as high as the combat mortality rate of white soldiers.
Re: Forged in Battle -- RC Passage   [#permalink] 30 Apr 2013, 22:44