Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 18:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 311 [0], given: 109

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2010, 15:48
+1 B

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
WE 1: 4 years Tech
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 149

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2010, 00:44
This is a Find the assumption question . We must find the Assumption in the Journalists argument by reading the Politicians statement.
We mustnt complicate the question by bringing in numbers and percentages.
The Journalist is simply assuming that the same number of people who protested against the old regime as the number in the subsequent years in protest against the new one

My Post Invites Discussions not answers
Try to give back something to the Forum.I want your explanations, right now !
Please let me know your opinion about the Chandigarh Gmat Centrehttp://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-experience-at-chandigarh-india-centre-111830.html

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 291 [0], given: 36

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 19:55
The answer is B.

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Affiliations: PMI,QAI Global,eXampleCG
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 10

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 01:33
clean and crystal B hitting the assumption.

Visit -- http://www.sustainable-sphere.com/
Promote Green Business,Sustainable Living and Green Earth !!

Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 02:13
Have to weaken the claims of the journalist and by POE this is the best choice. Weakening does not mean it has to be exactly that, rather it should be the closest . If you read all the options, this is the closest I did have to re read it twice.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 97 [0], given: 37

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2011, 17:33
B for me.

Journalist assumed that the same number of people are criticizing the government under the new government as before when concluding that the old goverment was more tolerant. The politician attacks this assumption by mentioning that fewer journalists criticized the govt earlier. Hence the Conclusion is weakened

Crick
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UNC Duke Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 4

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2011, 13:29
B!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

Re: Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2013, 23:01
Hi,

B is correct..

But i could not understand why option E is incorrect..!!!

Somebody please explain...

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.86
WE: Analyst (Advertising and PR)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 3

Re: Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 00:34
Let me help you with this one. This is the flaw in the reasoning question.

(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group. In other words, it means that the argument contains the error of taking small examples of one group and treating these example to support a general conclusion about that group. To illustrate, "two of my best friends went to watch a soccer match. Therefore, all of my best friends went to watch that soccer match." This error is called over-generalization.

(C) Questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented in support of the journalist’s conclusion. This choice is incorrect because the politician accepts the evidence from the journalist that in 1994, only six journalists were imprisoned for criticizing the government.

Don't be afraid to fail, but be afraid not to try

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

Re: Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 01:26
Juz2play wrote:

(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group. In other words, it means that the argument contains the error of taking small examples of one group and treating these example to support a general conclusion about that group. To illustrate, "two of my best friends went to watch a soccer match. Therefore, all of my best friends went to watch that soccer match." This error is called over-generalization.

(C) Questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented in support of the journalist’s conclusion. This choice is incorrect because the politician accepts the evidence from the journalist that in 1994, only six journalists were imprisoned for criticizing the government.

Hi,

For E...
That is what the argument says:
Journalist says: In1994,under old govt. six journalist were imprisoned.
Since 1994, under new govt. 30 journalist were imprisoned.

Politician: In 1994, it was 6/6 case.
Since 1994, it is not 30/30 case.. it could be 30/100.

Hence , under new govt. journalist have advantage.

This is what E talks about. it says that
(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group.
some 30 is the some members of the group(100).. and journalist assumes that 30/30 is applied to all members of that group..

To reiterate: Politician replies by Stating that information is regarding some ppl out of the group and does not apply to all members of that group...

Still unclear why E is incorrect...

Experts please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

MODULUS Concept ---> inequalities-158054.html#p1257636
HEXAGON Theory ---> hexagon-theory-tips-to-solve-any-heaxgon-question-158189.html#p1258308

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 127

Kudos [?]: 1313 [0], given: 120

Premium Member
Re: Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2013, 14:41
jaituteja wrote:
Juz2play wrote:

Hi,

For E...
That is what the argument says:
Journalist says: In1994,under old govt. six journalist were imprisoned.
Since 1994, under new govt. 30 journalist were imprisoned.

Politician: In 1994, it was 6/6 case.
Since 1994, it is not 30/30 case.. it could be 30/100.

Hence , under new govt. journalist have advantage.

This is what E talks about. it says that
(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group.
some 30 is the some members of the group(100).. and journalist assumes that 30/30 is applied to all members of that group..

To reiterate: Politician replies by Stating that information is regarding some ppl out of the group and does not apply to all members of that group...

Still unclear why E is incorrect...

Experts please help..!!!

Thanks,
Jai

Dear Jai

You read the politician's argument too fast, I guess. Thus, you misunderstood the idea of the politician a bit.

Politician: But in 1994 only six journalists criticized the government, and now journalists routinely do

Note: routinely is frequently

Be careful with the blue part. What does he mean? The politician challenges the journalist who said more journalist imprisoned, less tolerant the Government was. It means the journalist just focused on the number of journalists imprisoned, but the politician does not agree with that. He maintained that the number of journalists imprisoned may be THE SAME (6 people), but these journalists criticized the government MORE FREQUENTLY. --> Thus, there were more cases of journalists imprisoned than in 1994.

Let see E:
E is not the main point that the politician wanted to convey. In fact, he may agree that six journalists imprisoned is a total group (100% as you said). He just criticized the assumption of the journalist who concerned about the number rather than the frequency.

Hence, E is not the answer.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Re: Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the   [#permalink] 20 Aug 2013, 14:41