Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Nov 2014, 01:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Journalist : In late 1994, the present government of the [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 18:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (02:13) correct 33% (01:27) wrong based on 213 sessions
Journalist: In late 1994, the present government of the Republic of Bellam came into power. Each year since then, about thirty journalists have been imprisoned for printing articles that criticize the government. In 1994, under the old government, only six journalists were imprisoned for criticizing the government. So the old government was more tolerant of criticism by the press than the new one is.

Politician: But in 1994 only six journalists criticized the government, and now journalists routinely do.

The politician challenges the journalist’s argument by doing which of the following?
(A) Presenting data that extend further into the past than the journalist’s data
(B) Introducing evidence that undermines an assumption of the journalist’s argument
(C) Questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented in support of the journalist’s conclusion
(D) Pointing out that the argument illegitimately draws a general conclusion on the basis of a sample of only a few cases
(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group

I don't understand Politician's remark . Is that a challenge ? he just said "...and now journalists routinely do."

I don't get whether its challenge ....how come it be a challenge ? it looks to me he is supporting the journalist's remark that "....Each year since then" routine task.

I'm confused here. please help at this part.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 19:55
This post was
BOOKMARKED
both B and C are close. will rule out C coz the politician is not questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented by the journalist. The politician agrees that since 1994 thirty journalists under the new govt and in 1994 six journalists under the old govt were imprisoned, howevr he undermines journalist’s assumption by introducing evidence that now journalists routinely criticize govt.

consider cudos if you like my post

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 20:20
tryingharder wrote:
by introducing evidence that now journalists routinely criticize govt.

but this is not a fake thing journalist arguing ...its truly 30 journalists imprisoned each year since 1994. he is not falsifying the things . so, the word "routinely criticize" is a bad word by politician as the the data given by journalists is true.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 60 [1] , given: 13

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 20:28
This post received
KUDOS
I would classify this problem as numbers and percentages.
6 people < 30 people. So, old govt was better is the argument.
But what were the percentages?
Because if it was 6/12 = 50% but 6/18 = 33%
Likewise 30/60 = 50% and 30/90 = 33%

So, the politician introduces an evidence in the form of total outcomes as an rebuttal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 23:00
No. its not about percentages.

see the remark of the politician the word "..routinely criticize.."

again read the politician's comment

Politician: But in 1994 only six journalists criticized the government, and now journalists routinely do.

what are possible implication of "routinely" ?
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [3] , given: 11

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2010, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
Well, in 1994, the percentage is 6/6 = 100%. The Old Gov "kills" 100% those who dare defy.

After 1994, about 30 die every year, but "rountinely do" mean that a lot of jounarlists do nowday (a lot, like 100s), so the percentage is < 100%.

Thus actually, the new Gov is more tolerant than the old one.

This is what B implies.

B rules
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 13

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 21:22
I picked up B .......my first correct option ........

Above explanations are satisfactory ......
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Booth, Stanford, ISB, NTU
WE 1: S/W Engineer

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 15

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2010, 18:56
B, in the lines of tryingharder...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 06:01
Had to be betwee B and C ...went for B by POE!!
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 239 [0], given: 6

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 06:18
B for reasons already explained.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 12

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2010, 08:54
B for sure
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE: Marketing (Other)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 24

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 07:32
Easy B

Kidchaos

http://www.laptopskinvault.com

Follow The Laptop Skin Vault on:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheLaptopSkinVault
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/LaptopSkinVault

Consider Kudos if you think the Post is good
Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot. Nothing is going to change. It's not. - Dr. Seuss

Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 11

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2010, 15:13
Politician's argument was
But in 1994 only six journalists criticized the government, and now journalists routinely do.

So here the politician is providing evidence on top of the data provided by the journalist. he is highlighting the % of journalists doing criticism is higher in 1994 that that of after 1994. Thus he challenges the conclusion of the journalist by proving the new government is more tolerant of criticism that the older one.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 21:23
Bt in b .."....So the old government was more tolerant of criticism by the press than the new one is" --- i think this is conclusion not assumption.
Plz suggest.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 1

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 21:23
This post received
KUDOS
Bt in b .."....So the old government was more tolerant of criticism by the press than the new one is" --- i think this is conclusion not assumption.
Plz suggest.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [1] , given: 1

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2010, 21:24
This post received
KUDOS
Plz suggest.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 12

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 01:03
(A) Presenting data that extend further into the past than the journalist’s data... DATA DO NOT EXTEND FURTHER...DO THEY?
(B) Introducing evidence that undermines an assumption of the journalist’s argument
(C) Questioning the accuracy of the evidence presented in support of the journalist’s conclusion. NO SIGN OF INACCURACY (SAME DATA)
(D) Pointing out that the argument illegitimately draws a general conclusion on the basis of a sample of only a few cases ( SAMPLE IS STILL THE SAME )
(E) Stating that the argument treats information about some members of a group as if it applied to all members of that group (IT'S NOT THE CASE CLEARLY)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2010, 02:15
pendulam @ B and C... I want to vote B... Ans plzzz
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 35

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 15:04
B....the Politician is responding to the Journalists assumption.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2010, 15:31
vitamingmat wrote:
pendulam @ B and C... I want to vote B... Ans plzzz

I vote for B. The journalist is purely comparing the number of people who were arrested by the new and previous govt's. His assumption is that higher the # of arrests stricter the govt. He is not looking at the total number of criticizers. The politician is pointing to just that.
Re: present government of the Republic of Bellam   [#permalink] 24 Dec 2010, 15:31