Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:31

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey from 670 to 710

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Journey from 670 to 710 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 20:19
Hi,

Was waiting to debrief my experience. Appeared for GMAT on 26th Jan (yes Republic Day). Could not get time earlier as was busy applying for couple of colleges.

JOURNEY:

Actually, my first attempt in October was a disaster..or in a way didnt go as per my expectations. I could score only 670 (49,31) earlier. Please find my earlier debrief
http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-q49-v31-need-suggestion-on-which-b-schools-2-apply-for-102363.html

I was clear that this score was not enough to get me admitted to any of the score which I was aiming for. I decided to go for another attempt. Many times, it was very difficult and may have to regret for my decision. I am working with IBM as Team Lead and last few months have been a real hell for me as we have been busy with implementation of a project with very high stakes of IBM and our client. With 14-16 hrs of work daily, 3 calls daily with clients and worl stretching over the weekend, I was hardly getting any time to refocus on preparations. Time was flying and so were the deadlines. After getting few good scores in prep-tests, I booked GMAT on 24th (yes just 2 days before) and appeared for it on 26th. Candidly, I was getting impatient as 1st deadlines for most of the schools had crossed and delaying the dates further would my hopes of joining B-school this year further into the darkness. So, I gave myself 2 options - YES or NO. I chose YES whatever be the score..."Just Do It".
For those who are familiar with Bangalore, there are 2 test centers in Bangalore. The one in city (Pearson centre) had no dates within next 3-4 days..so had to go for other center which was 30 km from my home.
On exam's day, I drove 30km to center...was a bit exhausted... but was determined to nail it down this time. All was well till Quant. I am pretty good in Quant...and expectedly it went fine. It was untill Verbal section that the system adjacent to me went to sleep and the candidate started to panic. The scene went for 5 min till the staff was able to resolve it. I will not be honest..if I say it didnt affect me. Unfortunately, that time I was going across RC passage and one can understand that if you have not gone through the passage well enough first time...it will appear a labyrinth from which you will struggle to come out. Anyways, somehow I completed my test...and was just praying to see a '7' at hundredth place. The score was 710.

710 (51Q, 33V)

Preparation:

After first attempt, could not look into any material till November and my preparation actually picked up around mid of December.

Quant: Was always confident about Quant. HOnestly didnt practice much. Trusted that whatever I did for first attempt was enough.

Verbal: Always struggled here. SC was strongest among the three. Had to really work on CR and RC. Went through PowerScore's Critical Reasoning Bible and was really helpful. For SC, read Manhattan GMAT SC book. Apart from this, I gave only practice tests and completed OG 10 (Verbal) - twice, OG 11 (verbal) - once and OG 12 (verbal) - thrice. So that was it.
Here are my practice tests' scores:

GMAT Prep-1 50Q 29V 660
Princeton-1 49Q 33V 660
GMAT Prep-2 50Q 32V 690
Knewton 48Q 29V 660
Platinum GMAT 50Q 33V 690
Princeton-2 50Q 29V 640
Princeton-3 51Q 30V 650
Princeton-4 48Q 32V 650
Manhattan 50Q 41V 740
GMAT Prep-1 50Q 38V 730
GMAT Prep-2 50Q 37V 720

GMAT 51Q 33V 710

TIP:

Giving many tests did help me a lot and I realised that. Besides, forums especially [highlight]GMATClub[/highlight] is excellent where you can get loads of materials and tips. Whenever down in confidence, go through few articles in GMAT experience...and believe me just after reading couple of articles/experiences, you will be pumped...with high adrenalin..determined to nail down GMAT. It worked for me.

NOW WHAT:

I am applying for :
NUS, Singapore
Cambridge -Judge Business School
Imperial Business School
Warwick Business School
Cass - City

I am looking for 1 year full-time MBA (strictly NO to 2 yr course 'coz of personal reasons)

PLEASE SUGGEST:

I am working as Team Lead in IBM and will have around 7 yrs of experience till June. My academics are fine 10th -85%, 12th - 76% and BE with 73%. Have fair recognitions/awards in sports and also during professional career.
What are my chances for above 5 schools? Should I apply for any other school to be on safer side? Which one?
What are my chances of getting scholarship? What are the ways of getting finances? Should I get loans considering Admission fees as well as 1 years cost of living? How much the annual cost of living in UK/Singapore comes down to?
My last few questions will appear silly for few but I am novice at these aspects. PLEASE do suggest.

Appreciate your opinions/views.

Thanks and regards,
Vivek
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Journey from 670 to 710   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2011, 20:19