Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey from 710 to 740

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, ISB, IIM
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Journey from 710 to 740 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 22:42
Hi folks,

First of all, I thank all the members of this club for having shared their knowledge, advice and much more. I gave my GMAT last Monday (August 9). I made 740 (q50, v40) - a 30-point jump from my earlier attempt. I guess I'm very satisfied, keeping in mind the target schools and the stringent timelines I had for my preparation.

I had given GMAT for the first time in November 2008 and had scored 710 (Q50, V36). Back then, I missed to take help from this site. This was just about the average score at my school of interest and had applied in R2, but was rejected, GMAT being one of the reasons. I have worked upon the last two years to improve my profile and decided to give the GMAT again.

Mine was a short preparation - I wrote a diagnostic test to assess my level in the 1st week of July and based on that , decided to concentrate on specific areas of weaknesses, essentially most of the verbal section. I used Manhattan GMAT SC guide and skimmed through the CR bible. I just worked out questions from Kaplan, Official Guide etc., clocking about a couple of hours on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. The iPhone apps of GMAT club, MGMAT, Veritas prep also came in handy. I also packed in quite a few full length tests as part of the prep - 2 GMATPrep versions (from 2008 & 2010), Manhattan GMAT and Knewton diagnostic tests. I was consistently scoring in the 700+ range in most tests, the highest being 760 (penultimate test before my exam) and the lowest being 680 (MGMAT diagnostic). From my post-test analyses, I found that there was no specific pattern to my verbal weak areas. Often, I went wrong on questions that I would get right on a non-test situation. I had to really work hard to give undivided attention to the test. Part of the reason was also that I started some of my initial tests past 10 PM (my work/home life keeps me busy until ten) and was exhausted by the time I got to verbal. A sincere piece of advice - please avoid such late night tests. Take the test in a relaxed state and in a non-disruptive environment.

On the test day - I had scheduled for an 8 AM appointment and reached the center on time. Took both the breaks, ended up losing about 40 seconds in the 2nd break. Make sure that you keep track of your time - this can be really difficult since they asked me to deposit my watch in the locker. They give you 8 minutes, but the check-in/checkout process almost takes a couple of mins, or maybe even 3, if you are unlucky.

I don't have anything more to add, feel free to get in touch if you have specific questions.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9400 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Journey from 710 to 740 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2010, 23:42
Expert's post
Congratulations! How long did you end up studying for the 2nd attempt?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: Journey from 710 to 740 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 04:41
vindoz,

That is really impressive. What really helped you bump your Verbal score on the 2nd attempt?

Also, you seem to be a natural Quant guru. Any particular advice you have for the quant part of the test? What are some of the materials that you used?

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Journey from 710 to 740 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 21:39
This post received
KUDOS
akaydee wrote:
vindoz,

That is really impressive. What really helped you bump your Verbal score on the 2nd attempt?

Also, you seem to be a natural Quant guru. Any particular advice you have for the quant part of the test? What are some of the materials that you used?

Thank you, akaydee.

My verbal score - like i mentioned in my post, MGMAT SC guide came in handy. For critical reasoning, I found that I went wrong because I was not paying much attention to the verbiage of the CR passage and was unconsciously "looking through my eyes". It might sound elementary, but one needs to really read through every word of what is being said and not read what you want to believe.

Quant - I wasn't really focusing much on quant. I had problem with probability at times and spent some time working out probability questions. But other than that, I didn't really prepare for quant. I guess I still remember my basics :)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Journey from 710 to 740 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2010, 21:42
bb wrote:
Congratulations! How long did you end up studying for the 2nd attempt?

Thank you bb. I had close to 3 weeks of preparation time. On an average, I would have put in about 3-3 & 1/2 hours of effort per day.
Re: Journey from 710 to 740   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2010, 21:42