Ok, came back from test and got a 720. The breakdown is 49/39 - both 87% for a total 94%.
The quantitative section was a bit rough - i thought i did worse than what i got. I felt good in the beginning until i got several hard ones in a row especially a geometry question that i had no idea how to do - it was 3 equilateral triangles and a rectangle with another weird shaped triangle on top with them asking the angle... I thought the later questions for quant were super easy and almost ran out of time and had to quick guess on a question that i knew how to do so i felt kinda bad..
The verbal section was OK i thought (but apparently not...) with exception of one rough passage about economics - a couple of SCs i had to guess as well.
My last test of 640 (48/28) was 2 months ago... here's what i did before and after.
went through all MGMAT books
, kaplan premier
2010, powerscore CR
book, OGs 12 + quant & verbal supplements. Gmatclub tests
and the kaplan premier
online tests. I was pretty serious on taking the exam and though i killed verbal but came out disappointed with a 28. I thought about trying again while things are still fresh so took my next step.... Luckily Knewton had the valentines day promotion right around the time i finished my test so i decided to jump on it.
After 640 and Before 720:
MGMAT online tests, princeton review 1012 questions
and KNEWTON online.
I think the KNEWTON helped me the most - especially in verbal. Topics like grammar FANBOYS, idioms and tenses from the live classes really helped me on my verbal. I think the live interaction helped a lot more than reading from the book for me.
The online tests really helped as well but I think i give most of the credit to Knewton.
Some tips/what i did that i liked:
1. if you got 650+ and want to raise your score, try Knewton - the 50 point guarantee is well worth it and it is better to not need it at all! After taking Knewton it really helped me with reviewing the other books.
2. Try the gmatclub tests
- you can pay for instant access or do the post requirement to get it for free - the questions do help.
3. kaplan premier
online - it is like 40$ for the book with 2 tests BUT the online part has like 6 more tests so it really helps imo.
4. MGMAT books
- they help quite a bit!
5. post on this forum. I used to post quite a bit in the questions forum but after working through many problems i refrained from answering the same questions i done before.
People to thank:
BB for founding the site
Other people here sharing their experiences and posting questions/answers
Now here are a couple of questions (to save from posting new thread..)
1. My ultimate reach would be Yale. My under gpa is 3.0 and grad gpa is 3.3. What does those and a 720 get me in terms of colleges? I understand essays/interviews/letter of rec. count but what are your honest opinions on my chances and perhaps a suggestion on "target school ranges"?
2. Do I need to retake the exam? I think i am at the point for Math where "weird" questions (like the triangle ques) might get me but others prob wont. Verbal obvious could improve but i think 11 point increase from 28 is pretty decent and until i get my verbal percentages i am not sure where i need to improve. I am not sure what material i could use now besides just doing more and more practice problems....
thanks and let me know if i still need to take another test or should just sit tight?