Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Stern, Booth, MIT, IMD, INSEAD, IESE
WE 1: 10 years total WE; 2 yrs entrepreneurship, 8 years in telecom, Big 4 and Commercial Banking
WE 2: Currently in a management position with a commercial bank
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [6] , given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I've been a silent follower of the forum for a while, and now that the journey is complete I'd like to give back to the community and share my experience. I do so hoping that others will find inspiration and courage in my story, as I have been inspired by so many great stories I've read here.

Executive summary: if I, a non-native English speaker with less than average quant skills, with no formal training in English at all, and quite some years away from my last academic foray, can get a 750, anyone can do it, period.

About me: 29 yrs old, non-native English speaker, hailing from Romania.

My GMAT preparation effort started on July 27th (a little less than 8 weeks of study), when I took the Knewton diagnostic exam, without any prior preparation.

Let me just say this upfront: I SUCKED.

Math was never my strength, and whatever quant skills I had back in college, they were gone. I scored an appalling 590 (31, 42), which was a bit of a wake up call. I expected my score to be less-than-stellar, but 590 was really awful. My verbal skills were good, but needed some polish nonetheless.

Reeling from the shock, I immediately did two things which I believe did the most to change the course of my journey: I signed up for Knewton's GMAT Prep course, and I took almost 4 weeks of leave from work.

Regarding Knewton, I could not have made a better choice. Its thorough, no-nonsense approach covers everything you need to know in a structured manner. It basically built me up, both in terms of knowledge and in terms of confidence, since I didn't feel alone in the struggle anymore. Therefore, I wholeheartedly recommend Knewton to anyone studying for the GMAT, and I'd like to take a moment to thank Chris Wu for his patience and excellent teaching skills.

To be fair, a lot of my time was invested in brushing up my math. I did pick up some new things on SC/CR from Knewton, but my RC was very high from the beginning (I rarely missed one-two questions per sitting). I'm not sure why though; perhaps it is because I used to read a lot of English literature some years ago.

Anyway, I spent the next 4 weeks immersed in GMAT materials. I had two 3-hour live classes per week, and a LOT of homework and assessments both before and after the class. Really, if you take Knewton, expect to invest a significant amount of time. You will literally do hundreds and hundreds of questions, assessments, re-assessments, etc. Overall, I believe I spent an average of 3-4 hours per day, maybe more, reading, learning, taking tests.

My test scores are:

Diagnostic Knewton: 590 (31, 42)
Knewton #1: 650 (40, 41)
Knewton #2: 700 (44, 42)
Knewton #3: 640 (36, 43)
Knewton #4: 660 (41, 41)
GMATPrep 1: 730 (48, 42)
GMATPrep 2: 700 (did not record Q and V scores)
GMATPrep 1: 770 (retake, did not record Q and V scores)

I can definitely confirm that GMATPrep is the best predictor of your results, and it comes closest to the real thing. I found Knewton's exams to be quite a bit more difficult than the real thing, especially in quant. I'm sure it's meant to be this way, and given my results, I have no reason to complain. Just be aware of this fact and if you score lower than expected in a Knewton test, don't let it demoralize you; you'll probably do significantly better on test day.

Books used: OG11, OG12, GMAT Quant Review, GMAT Verbal Review, MGMAT SC Guide, Kaplan's GMAT 800. As you can see, the book list is pretty standard, no fancy stuff. I didn't even get the chance to open the Verbal Review and the SC Guide, unfortunately.

My whole strategy was based on the fact that I already had very strong verbal skills to begin with. I felt that it would make little economic sense to try and improve further in verbal, but given the limited time to Round 1, I would be better off investing in bringing the quant skills up to a reasonable level. In practice, this translated to (1) go through all Knewton coursework, then (2) do the OG12, Quant Review and GMAT800 and finally (3) take the GMATPrep.

I went through about 70% of the hard content of the GMAC books. I barely touched GMAT800 because time was running out and I thought it wise to focus on the OG instead.

I stopped doing anything GMAT-related yesterday. I took the day off, relaxed, had a nice dinner, listened to some music, etc, and went to bed early (sort of). I woke up this morning very fresh, ate something light and went to the test center. However, when the lady said "would you like to begin now?", my stomach turned. :)) I had a brief moment of panic, but then the training kicked in and by the time I was in front of the computer, all emotion was gone. I made full use of my breaks, splashing water on my face each time and eating a candy bar to maintain an appropriate blood-sugar level. I had no lunch, only a sandwich before the test, since eating an entire meal makes me a bit sleepy and I wanted to avoid that.

Not everything went perfect, though. :) With 10 minutes of the quant section remaining, a lady entered the test room, sat next to me and started her test. She then coughed for 30 minutes straight. 10 minutes into the verbal section I started to have violent thoughts. :) After another 10 minutes I reached quite a difficult RC passage, and all I could hear was her cough. :) I couldn't read anything, I couldn't focus on anything else except the lady's coughing. That's when I gave in and used the earplugs. If this happens to you, use the earplugs immediately. I avoided using them for 30 minutes because I thought having something in my ears would distract me (very stupid thought, I know :p). It doesn't, it helps a lot. If all else fails, DO raise your hand and point out the problem to the test administrator. I contemplated doing so but felt bad for the lady and didn't want to cause any trouble to her during the exam, after all she couldn't help it. Anyway, I put on the earplugs and went on to see a 750 (47, 47) on the screen. I couldn't believe my eyes! I knew it went well, and expected a low 700, maybe 720 maximum, but the score blew me off the chair.

That's my story, folks. If I could sum up my GMAT experience into advice to a prospective test taker with a similar starting profile (crappy quant, solid verbal), it would read like this:

- It's NOT that difficult
- It's as much (if not more) a test of managing your emotions and your time as a test of your quant and verbal skills. In my opinion, the only way you'll get to the level where you can control your emotions and time is by doing A LOT of tests, always timed
- Do not go for extremely difficult question sets. In my opinion, they add no value. I still suck at the hard GMAT Club tests, I barely get 2-3 right questions. I did some hard sets and then stopped, because I found them confidence-shattering.
- Get a prep company behind you, if you can afford it. Specifically, get Knewton. I know how this sounds, but I'm really enthusiastic about my experience with them.
- Save the GMATPrep for last, and go through EACH question you got wrong. Thoroughly understand your mistake.
- Do not AVOID confronting your mistakes and weak areas, but focus on them instead. You hate probabilities? Focus on them for a few days. XY-plane making you nauseous? Spend time with it until you love it.
- Do invest time in verbal if your skills are not up to speed. A strong verbal score WILL make the difference.

If I can be of any further help, please do ask, I'd be glad to assist fellow GMAT warriors :)

Razvan
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 105 [1] , given: 43

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:10
This post received
KUDOS
Let me the first to congratulate you. Awesome score! Good luck!

Consider Kudos if my post helped you. Thanks!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My TOEFL Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-toefl-experience-99884.html
My GMAT Debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/670-730-10-luck-20-skill-15-concentrated-power-of-will-104473.html

Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Schools: Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 15

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:14
Excellento scoro

Posted from my mobile device Image

Consider kudos, they are good for health

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 13:47
Congrats on the big score jump.

Sincerely,
Dawg

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 29

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 14:00
thanks... very realistic advice. I like the part abotu earplugs/phones - gotta remember to use them in a pinch.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 40

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 14:10
Great score! Thats a really solid debrief. There's a lot of good points to be taken from it.

Thanks! +1

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion!

Retired Moderator
Followers: 108

Kudos [?]: 236 [0], given: 33

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 14:15
wow.. great score razvanteslaru! Good luck with your apps!

Funny, Interesting and Crazy Facts, Photos and Videos!
http://funnyinterestingcrazy.blogspot.co.uk/

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 182

Kudos [?]: 983 [0], given: 235

Reviews Badge
Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 16:18
Wow !! I love our verbal score.

Congrats an good luck ahead.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 66

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 16:45
Wonderful....very inspiring.....i have exactly 2 months!Target 700 club member....:)
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 17:53
wow nice score and great luck with apps!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 17 Sep 2010, 17:58
I'm suspicious of knewton's diagnostic tests.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton,Insead,LBS,IMD,Kellog,Haas,Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 13

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 03:54
perfect balance man!!!!!

Awesome verbal and overall great score.....:D

best of luck for your applications..........:P

Whatever you do, Do it SINCERELY!!!

GOD help those who help themselves....:)

Last edited by greatman1234 on 18 Sep 2010, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 04:40
great score..all the best for ur apps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amar
http://amarnaik.wordpress.com

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 18

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 06:33
Awesome..Congratulations !
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Stern, Booth, MIT, IMD, INSEAD, IESE
WE 1: 10 years total WE; 2 yrs entrepreneurship, 8 years in telecom, Big 4 and Commercial Banking
WE 2: Currently in a management position with a commercial bank

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 06:41
Thanks, all! :) Jeanette, if you mean that Knewton's tests are harder than what you can expect on the actual test then yes, you're right. They're harder, but I think they're meant that way.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 06:49
razvanteslaru wrote:
Thanks, all! :) Jeanette, if you mean that Knewton's tests are harder than what you can expect on the actual test then yes, you're right. They're harder, but I think they're meant that way.

Well that's only kind of what I mean. I mean I think the score, especially on the diagnostic, may be made to be lower than it should be so that people score very lowly on it. Remember that knewton has a moneyback guarantee if you don't improve by at least 50 points, so they have a reason to want to have you score lower on your diagnostic.
Manager
Manager
Status: He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2010, 08:55
Awesome score .... Congrats and all the best for your apps
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 08:06
that was a great score and motivating debrief
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 5

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2010, 19:35
Got any advice to give on SC? You got an awesome verbal score!

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Chicago,Tuck,Oxford,cambridge
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 7

Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47) [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2010, 07:52
hey congrats thats a gr8 score!!!
Re: Journey to 750 (Q:47, V:47)   [#permalink] 20 Sep 2010, 07:52