Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 12:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey to Kellogg School of Management.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9411 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 23:10
Expert's post
There is a whole discussion about the military applicants (There is one big one every year). I suggest you check it out (lots of support there) calling-all-us-military-fall-2014-applicants-155185.html
Good Luck!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [2] , given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 12:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Another thing I should bring up, for future applicants reading, is the feelings you have after getting in. I had 2-3 days after getting into my top choice where I was super excited, couldn't sleep, and just all around super happy. But after that, other feelings definitely start to creep in. I was always aware of course of how much debt I would need to take out, and that I'd need to leave my friends, gf (although I think she'll join me the 2nd year), etc, when I go to business school. But after choosing the school I was going to attend, it became REAL and I really started internalizing the feelings.

Staring at the the suggested budget and knowing that taking out $150k+ in loans is not longer a hypothetical, it's an actuality. It's scary, it's going to be around $1500-$2000 a month in monthly payments, so I really have little to no room to screw up or take a lowly paid job I may enjoy. I work a job that pays $100k a year, and is very low stress and low hours. It's tough to bite the pill and know that I'll probably be working way harder, for what is functionally the same pay after I pay the debt payments. I know its the right decision long-term, but is still stressful.

Likewise, I went out to celebrate with friends. It was really the first first time where I really realized "Wow, in 4 months, I'm not going to really see these people for ATLEAST 2 years, aside for a day or two over breaks"...and it's possible I'll never live in NYC again, and the people who have been my best friends for 10+ years will just become people I see every few years. Similarly, my girlfriend and I have had a 8-9 year long journey, going from best friends, to on and off relationships, to finally working out and having a really solid relationship. Going a year without her is going to suck, and a potential strain on our relationship (everyone always talks about the turkey drop when everyone breaks up with their significant other after thanksgiving).

Anyways, just thought it was interesting, how once you get over the "where am I going to go to business school" stress, a whole different category of worries come into play.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 13:07
Hi. This might come across as a very strange question ... I am pursuing an English major currently from India. I know it's early but I want to do an MBA from a top institution in the UK or the US.
I have done a few internships but I do not have full time job experience. Do you think I stand any chance of getting into the top B-schools? Also, would it be better if I do a Masters of management program right after my undergrad?
I want to change my field from English to something that will pay very well :D
What do you think is the right course for me?
Many thanks !

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2014, 13:23
Expert's post
harshitalall wrote:
Hi. This might come across as a very strange question ... I am pursuing an English major currently from India. I know it's early but I want to do an MBA from a top institution in the UK or the US.
I have done a few internships but I do not have full time job experience. Do you think I stand any chance of getting into the top B-schools? Also, would it be better if I do a Masters of management program right after my undergrad?
I want to change my field from English to something that will pay very well :D
What do you think is the right course for me?
Many thanks !

Masters of management would be best. You need 4-5 years experience (and internships don't count) in general to get into a top business school. Furthermore, India is the most competitive applicant pool, so you really need to be impressive to get into the top-20 schools (e.g. super high GMATS). I'm not an expert in India, but I'd recommend trying to get the master of management in the UK and US (US is probably best, easier to get work visas) and then find a US Job. You really don't want to be working in IT in India for 4/5 years and then apply to business school like many people on this forum, because they acceptance rates are very low, even with mid-700 GMAT scores.
Intern
Intern

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 07:47
Thanks so much! And do you think investing in a masters in management course is worth it? I mean it's a lot of money( given the rupee depreciation), so in terms of return on investment, how is it? I stand 4th out of say 7000 students in my uni. Do you think I stand a good chance for bagging scholarships?
Sorry for so many questions. Thanks so much :)

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2014, 08:02
Expert's post
harshitalall wrote:
Thanks so much! And do you think investing in a masters in management course is worth it? I mean it's a lot of money( given the rupee depreciation), so in terms of return on investment, how is it? I stand 4th out of say 7000 students in my uni. Do you think I stand a good chance for bagging scholarships?
Sorry for so many questions. Thanks so much :)

If it'll give you access the UK/US jobs that you don't currently have access to, it's worth it. If you are going to go back to India and be paid in rupee's, it's probably not worth it. No idea on Scholarships.
Intern
Intern

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2014, 08:41
Thank you :) you really helped!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [1] , given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2014, 13:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Small update....I got a decent scholarship through the financial aid departments (~12k or so per year) which made me feel much better about the debt - I didn't even know that was a possibility, so was a welcome surprise. Last day of work is Thursday, everything is coming up so quick!
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2014, 01:40
mgg234 wrote:
Small update....I got a decent scholarship through the financial aid departments (~12k or so per year) which made me feel much better about the debt - I didn't even know that was a possibility, so was a welcome surprise. Last day of work is Thursday, everything is coming up so quick!

Congrats! Every little bit helps. Also enjoy your time off.

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 16:55
Blax0r wrote:
Congrats on your success, but I want to publicly dispel your theory on both the GMAT and thank-you letter reply (although i assume the 2nd one is a joke) by displaying my results (look left) as an example.

Wow, that's quite surprising!!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V40
WE: Engineering (Other)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 10:52
mgg234 wrote:

Awesome deal on the scholarship! Any idea on how the scholarships are awarded? I'm going all in this year with a CBS ED application while working on Kellogg/Sloan/Stern/Johnson R1 apps. I heard from a friend that going ED was a bad idea because there's almost no incentive for them to give me scholarship money.

I already know that I'm a border applicant and that if I do get into CBS I'll take it, but the possible weight of $200k loans is making this whole business school decision very stressful! :crazy: :puke
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [2] , given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 11:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dtse86 wrote:
mgg234 wrote:

Awesome deal on the scholarship! Any idea on how the scholarships are awarded? I'm going all in this year with a CBS ED application while working on Kellogg/Sloan/Stern/Johnson R1 apps. I heard from a friend that going ED was a bad idea because there's almost no incentive for them to give me scholarship money.

I already know that I'm a border applicant and that if I do get into CBS I'll take it, but the possible weight of $200k loans is making this whole business school decision very stressful! :crazy: :puke

For merit, they tell you on the phone when they call to accept you, or mail it to you shortly afterwards. Depends on the school, but in general ~30% of acceptances get some sort of merit-scholarship. Only a handful of school have need-based, but those that do, provide you with it after you fill out the FAFSA. Harvard and Stanford are outliers in that they do need-based only...but they also have huge endowments, so they are able to offer people generous packages.

The schools claim ED has no impact on scholarships, and I do know people from ED who did get scholarships....but, you're right, there is an incentive for them to give out less from ED, and business schools lie about this type of stuff all the time, so I think its a valid concern (especially when there is no way for us to audit them).

Also, Columbia has by far the worst financial aid of the M7, so they are the least likely to give you a scholarship (They are also the most expensive), so keep that in mind when applying. Although unethical, many people pay the $6000 deposit, and renege on ED to attend a different university, so thats certainly an option.
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 11:47