Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 17:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Journey to Kellogg School of Management.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
10 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 221 [10] , given: 54

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Journey to Kellogg School of Management. [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 09:01
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
I'll update this tomorrow when Booth comes in, but Kellogg was my top choice, so figure I can write this now.

Deciding on Business School

I had been thinking of applying to business school for a few years, but at first I didn't plan on applying this application cycle. After being passed up for a promotion I had been told I'd get for "budgetary reasons", I left my job and transitioned to a different bank. I was able to get the promotion in my job switch and landed in a better company, with better pay, so it all worked out...but since I was starting a new job, I expected to not apply to business school until fall 2014. However, my job quickly became boring. I craved the excitement of college again. I was also single at the time (I have a girlfriend now) and I hate to say it, but I thought it would be cool to go to UCLA and date some pretty cali girls. After attending my little brother's college graduation, and being in that environment again, I knew I had to be back, and immediately signed-up for Manhattan GMAT at the end of May 2013.

GMAT

I'll make this section quick, since I want to talk more about applying, but my first step was studying for the GMAT. I had taken it during college 4-5 years ago, and got a 680. I had been going through a break up and smoking a bit too much herb back then, so I knew I could do better. I took the GMAT a week after the 9 week Manhattan GMAT ended. I studied every day, mostly at work, during the last month. My goal score was 740, so it was nice to hit in. My "GMAT IS DONE WOOT!" vacation brought me to Egypt during the Morsi revolution, and to Kenya at the mall everyone got shot up (I was there 3 weeks earlier), but that's a story for a different time.

Application strategy

My "sells pitch" was that I was going to leverage my project management experience in finance to transition into management consulting (preferably in the financial services area, where I've globally project managed a lot of different areas), aiming for MBB. Honestly, at first, I came up with this because I thought it would make my application look the strongest, but somewhere along the way I convinced myself that this is what I actually wanted to do.

Figuring out where to apply was a bit of a struggle. I had a high GMAT, but my GPA was below average...but I did go to a pretty good undergrad college. I was from a competitive demographic (finance) and I am a white male. I work at a name brand company, but in a non-client facing/revenue generating role. Aside from knowing I wouldn't get into Harvard or Stanford, it was a bit tough to see where I stood. I did a lot of research, but it seems like any school in the top 10 was a reach, and any school outside the top 10 was a safety...but I couldn't really decide on any schools that were a "match." I decided I was going to apply to two schools outside the top 10, and 3 schools inside the top 10. The strategy I decided on was the following:

R1: Columbia ED, and UCLA. If I get into Columbia, I go there. UCLA has a very late R1 deadline and only required 1 essay, so it was the only other school I could get off in R1. I wasn't feeling confident about my chances at M7 schools at this point, so I hoped the added advantage of early decision would help me get into Columbia I figured (I was wrong haha).

R2: Duke, Kellogg, TBD. If I got into UCLA apply to another reach school; If I don't, apply to another safety school (would've probably been Ross or Cornell), and revamp applications. I decided on Booth as my 5th school in late December after getting into UCLA with scholarship.

For Recommenders, I would user my former boss of 3 years (didn’t want to do current boss since I had just started) and a senior co-worker who worked with me at my first job, and then brought me with him when he switched companies to global head a metrics team (he really likes me because he finds my facebook statuses funny).

Schools I didn't choose

• Harvard/Stanford - Wasn't qualified.
  • Wharton - Was deciding between Booth and Wharton for my 5th application, figured I had a better chance at Booth. I expected booth to surpass Wharton this year, but the opposite happened.
  • MIT - Have a friend who goes there, seemed too nerdy/quant.
  • Haas - Acceptance Rate was too low. Would've loved to live in the area, but seemed like a waste of an application for a school barely in the top 10, but has the same acceptance rate as Harvard.
  • Stern - Went there undergrad...disliked it because it was over-competitive, and the people had very poor social skills. I wanted to get away from those type of finance people during business school.
  • Tuck - Seriously considered it, and I kind of wish I did now that I'm in a long term relationship (would be easier to maintain since I'm from NYC), but felt it was too isolated, and honestly I didn't feel like having to go on campus to interview before they've even looked at my application (I was lazy).
  • Ross/Cornell - too cold, if I was going outside the top 10, it was going to be somewhere warm.
  • UVA - Felt it was basically Duke, but Duke had a better brand name and the whole Team Fuqua thing, so went with Duke. UVA curriculum seemed super hard too.
  • Yale - Poor recruiting despite hard to get into.

Schools I did choose

• Columbia - I currently lived in NYC and it was an Ivy. In hindsight, this wasn't a school for me since it was weak in MC recruiting and I wanted to get away from NYC, but didn't really think of it like that at the time.
  • UCLA - I love LA, and it would've been warm.
  • Duke - Warm and a collaborative environment. Strong at MC for it's rank.
  • Kellogg - My top choice. Super strong in MC, and super cool student body. M7/Top 5.
  • Booth - Best school I thought I had a realistic chance of getting into.

R1 Applications

Columbia – I applied ED, and I spent more time on this application than any other. I spent a month re-writing the essays almost every day. My interview, I left it feeling good, but it was at 8am, and as a slept on it, I kind of thought of all the things I did wrong. She kept asking me about “how much money my projects made the company” and I was in a non-revenue generating position. I had been souring on Columbia as the process went a long, as I learned about other schools. Was worried about the cost (Columbia has the worst financial aid and is the most expensive), poor MC recruiting, and I kind of wanted a change. Being rejected worked out for the best, although it did destroy my confidence for a bit.
Essay strength: 8/10, interview strength: 6/10, prediction: 50/50 chance of getting in, outcome: REJECTED

UCLA – I spent about 3 hours on the essay, and just used my Columbia essay as the base. During the skype interview, my laptop shut off which was a bit embarrassing. There was a lot of lag and I could barely make out what he was saying a lot of the time. I thought it went horrible, but he responded to my thank you note saying I had strong interview skills.
Essay strength: 6/10, interview strength: ?/10, prediction: In with half scholarships, outcome: ADMITTED with $40k.

R2 Applications

Duke – My “Why Duke” essay was good, but pretty cliché. I talked about Team Fuqua, consulting recruiting, international focus, and classes. My 25 things was really strong, as I’ve done a variety of lots of kick ass things (e.g. kissed a crocodile, sky dived, crazy trips, played with tigers, started sports team, snowboard, marathons, etc). My interview was interesting: I got a very straight edge Indian guy (exact opposite of my personality), who asked a lot of tough questions (a bunch of different “weakness” questions), which was strange since Duke is known as one of the friendly schools. Regardless, I thought I did a good job. Was a bit stressful since my flight was cancelled then delayed and I arrived right before my interview.
Essay strength: 8/10, interview strength 7/10, prediction: admitted with $50k, outcome: ADMITTED with $18k.

Kellogg – Honestly, my essays were really weak here. “My greatest obstacle I’ve overcome” was just over-coming an injury to run a marathon. My other two were okay, but I was a bit fatigued by the time I finished them and they weren’t nearly as great as the could’ve been. My video essay went pretty well, although the program cut off the end (I emailed and told them though). My in-person interview went great, and I think it was my strongest. I rambled a few times, but over-all left it feeling good.
Essay Strength: 5/10, Video interview: 7/10, in-person interview: 8/10, prediction: 50/50 chance of getting accepted, outcome: ADMITTED HELL YA

Booth – Booth was a bit of a reach, so I went for a risky approach on the PPT. I made it very image heavy, and leveraged a lot of things from the “Duke 25” things essay. Has photos of me with a moustache for Movember, shirtless running tough mudder, and eating gross food. My interviewer was European. Every single question he asked was a derivative of “Why booth”, which I really wasn’t expecting (I had been preparing conflict examples, weakness examples, leadership examples, etc), and I was a bit repetitive. I thought I didn’t do that great, but he seemed pretty enthusiastic about me afterwards
Essay strength: 8/10, in person interview: 6.5/10, prediction: 25% chance of admission (although the Kellogg acceptance makes me more confidence), outcome: TBD

I also should mention I had to continuously chase down one of my recommendations, who didn’t submit until the last hour, which was stressful as hell.

Choosing the school

Between UCLA and Duke, I was flip flopping back and forth. UCLA had the area I wanted to live and gave me more money. Duke was a cheaper place to live, higher ranked, stronger MC recruiting, and stronger North East recruiting (incase I want to move back to NYC). I eventually decided if I didn’t get into Booth or Kellogg, I’d do Duke, since Business School would be pointless if I didn’t pull off a MC job (I make a lot of money already, and ROI just isn’t there if I end up having to do marketing or entertainment).

I got into Kellogg, so it became a moot point. Kellogg does amazing in MBB, and neither Duke nor UCLA gave me nearly enough money to convince me to choose them over Kellogg. If I get into Booth tomorrow, I’ll compare financial aid packages (I’m not expecting anything from either though), and visit both, but I’ll probably choose Kellogg. I want a close knit environment with social people, Booth seems a bit too competitive and spread-out.

Random Thoughts

It seems the biggest predictor of success is “does our interviewer answer your thank you note?” Kellogg/duke/ucla did and I got in, Columbia did not and I was rejected. I’ll see tomorrow if Booth follows the same structure.

Overall, this has been the 2nd most stressful thing I've had to do in my life (1st being trying to find a job in the middle of the financial crisis), and everything took way longer than expected to complete. The worst part way the waiting, since I didn't have any outlet anymore....I couldn't study GMAT problems, rewrite essays, or practice interview.

Going to campus visits or speaker events doesn't seem to help, I didn't go to any aside from Columbia (where I was rejected). You can build "Why School X" essays just by leveraging the website mostly.

GMATs matter a lot (I'm convinced this is the main reason I got into Kellogg).

One thing I find interesting too is that undergrad breakdown of the class. I think part of the reason I got rejected from Columbia is that they take a low percentage of business majors. for example, Wharton take 25%, Columbia takes 29%, but Booth takes 55%. This is a huge difference very few people tend to notice:
http://poetsandquants.com/2013/10/28/th ... numbers/4/
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 17

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 14:02
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats on your success, but I want to publicly dispel your theory on both the GMAT and thank-you letter reply (although i assume the 2nd one is a joke) by displaying my results (look left) as an example.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [2] , given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 14:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Blax0r wrote:
Congrats on your success, but I want to publicly dispel your theory on both the GMAT and thank-you letter reply (although i assume the 2nd one is a joke) by displaying my results (look left) as an example.

ouch man, what was your work experience?
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 17

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 14:27
mgh234 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:

My major stints were software engineering for financial data & analytics company for 3 years (client-facing products), and financial engineering for 2.5 years for a boston-based mutual fund.

I did also have a very short (less than a year) back-office project management role at a major bank as my first job out of college.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [0], given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 14:53
Expert's post
Blax0r wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
Blax0r wrote:

My major stints were software engineering for financial data & analytics company for 3 years (client-facing products), and financial engineering for 2.5 years for a boston-based mutual fund.

I did also have a very short (less than a year) back-office project management role at a major bank as my first job out of college.

Really shocked you didn't get in anywhere, your experience and GMAT are better than mine.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 6

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 16:11
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats on the Kellogg acceptance MGH!
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2014, 16:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

Thanks man, good luck on Booth tomorrow. Hopefully you can open up another duke WL spot for Farful.
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
GMAT 1: 740 Q52 V38
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 211 [2] , given: 129

Premium Member
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 03:39
This post received
KUDOS
mgh234 wrote:
bluehorseshoe87 wrote:

Thanks man, good luck on Booth tomorrow. Hopefully you can open up another duke WL spot for Farful.

I've had several people in chat on Tuesday tell me that they will be declining Fuqua's offer and that they will let adcom know to let 'farful' in instead. I hope they weren't joking and that this trend continues. :twisted:

Best of luck to you in Evanston! I think I've mentioned this, but have a look at this.

My review of some of the CAT practice exams
You can usually find me on gmatclub's chat.

Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 06:15
Expert's post
Just to provide update to my story, I was rejected to Booth. I'm pretty happy I didn't get in, since it makes the decision easy, and I know I won't have any regrets of "maybe I should've chosen the other one..." It does show that my "does the interviewer answer your thank you note" theory is incorrect!

I'm super excited for Kellogg, which was my top choice all along, and I'm happy to answer questions any future applicants might have.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.73

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 15

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 06:27
Congrats on Kellogg! I am sure that you will enjoy your next 2 years and that you will land your dream job!

Thanks for being a great support for me (and almost everyone else) over in the Anderson forum. Really appreciate your optimistic thoughts and helpful insights. Too bad we won't be going to the same school.

Now that you will be attending Kellogg, any candid opinions/last words regarding Anderson? Would be really interesting to hear :)
Current Student
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
Schools: Kellogg '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V45
GPA: 3.64
WE: Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Reviews Badge
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 06:54
mgh234 wrote:
Just to provide update to my story, I was rejected to Booth. I'm pretty happy I didn't get in, since it makes the decision easy, and I know I won't have any regrets of "maybe I should've chosen the other one..." It does show that my "does the interviewer answer your thank you note" theory is incorrect!

I'm super excited for Kellogg, which was my top choice all along, and I'm happy to answer questions any future applicants might have.

Maybe I'm the outlier, but the Kellogg alum who conducted my off-campus interview never answered my thank you note.
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 07:32
Expert's post
mukakucing wrote:
Congrats on Kellogg! I am sure that you will enjoy your next 2 years and that you will land your dream job!

Thanks for being a great support for me (and almost everyone else) over in the Anderson forum. Really appreciate your optimistic thoughts and helpful insights. Too bad we won't be going to the same school.

Now that you will be attending Kellogg, any candid opinions/last words regarding Anderson? Would be really interesting to hear :)

No problem, glad you got in! Anderson is great for entertainment/finance/tech...Based on my conversations when deciding, it seems best to focus on one of those 3 areas only (e.g. don't go for consulting there, as only ~35% of people who recruit for it, get an offer). Also, Anderson has a much stronger brand on west coast then east coast, but I assume you know that already, so focus your job hunt there. Ultimately, the reason Anderson fell bottom of my list was that I wasn't sure I wanted to live in the west coast after graduation, and wasn't sure I could get the consulting jobs I wanted (MBB). I make a good salary right now, so the ROI is only there if I get a consulting gig.

Also, I didn't try it, but I heard financial aid is negotiable there, so try that too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 12:25
mgh234 wrote:
mukakucing wrote:

No problem, glad you got in! Anderson is great for entertainment/finance/tech...Based on my conversations when deciding, it seems best to focus on one of those 3 areas only (e.g. don't go for consulting there, as only ~35% of people who recruit for it, get an offer). Also, Anderson has a much stronger brand on west coast then east coast, but I assume you know that already, so focus your job hunt there. Ultimately, the reason Anderson fell bottom of my list was that I wasn't sure I wanted to live in the west coast after graduation, and wasn't sure I could get the consulting jobs I wanted (MBB). I make a good salary right now, so the ROI is only there if I get a consulting gig.

Also, I didn't try it, but I heard financial aid is negotiable there, so try that too.

Really nice post I'm going to pass it to my colleagues who are getting started at this...

I agree with you on the GMAT thing..... I'm going to Duke, also applied to Kellogg have a very similar background to yours, did my research and strong essays and also I'm an international applicant, but my GMAT was lower

So... seems like you have a lot of insights what about Fuqua do you have any tips/thoughts???
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2014, 13:06
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I really liked Fuqua, the people were awesome, it has nice weather, and its average starting salary was higher than many top 10 schools. Out of the cluster of UVA/Ross/Fuqua/Cornell, I would recommend Fuqua every time. It does well in both finance and consulting, and has a very strong community. Ultimately, its recruiting was a bit regional (although a ton of people do get jobs in NYC) compared to Kellogg, and it doesn't do great at MBB (although it does do better than its peers). The strategy for duke seems to be, if you want to get a prestigious job, you should apply for Atlanta, Texas or other major southern cities. Also, their financial aid is VERY negotiable, so you can ask for more money, and you don't even need to play the "I've got a competing scholarship..." game. They just ask you to write an essay on merit reasons. If I didn't get into Kellogg, I would've been happy attending Duke.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 163 [1] , given: 13

Premium Member
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 05:17
This post received
KUDOS
Great detailed story MGH. The breakdown of your school selection strategy is especially helpful/interesting.

Congrats on getting into your dream school. Kellogg is such an awesome program!

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth '17

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

CAT Tests
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 11:38
Would you please share more details on why you think you didn't qualify to HBS and GSB pleasE?
Expert Post
6 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 221 [6] , given: 54

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 12:09
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
tae808 wrote:
Would you please share more details on why you think you didn't qualify to HBS and GSB pleasE?

1) Non-impressive work experience (from a HBS perspective) in finance, since I wasn't in revenue generating role. I'd be competing against people who did M&A at goldman sachs, or Private equity at KKR, or hedge fund experience at Citadel...I knew I couldn't compete with them.

2) Low GPA.

A lot of people throw out resumes to H/S/W just to see what happens, and I think it's a waste of application in a lot of case. I think its very beneficial to have realistic expectations before you apply. If you applied correctly, you shouldn't be rejected (or accepted) to all the schools you applied (exception being if you get into H/S of course). Some people get into H/S with below average stats, but they aren't white or asian males coming from finance/consulting/IT. Those people who get in with weird stats did something amazing like start a huge company, win olympic gold, or are from under represented groups. For example, A 3.5 GPA from a state school, 720 GMAT, white guy who works in Accenture has zero chance of getting into Harvard, but I see those type of people apply constantly. Every minute you spend on your Harvard application, is a minute your not spending on your Ross/Darden/UVA application. You'll notice a lot of the zero admit club applied to 8-10 different schools, 3 or 4 of them being schools they had no business applying to. If they focused on the 4-5 that were fit, they'd probably get into one.

You should certainly apply to 1-2 reach schools, but people really need to have a realistic idea of where they stand. There's many resources to figure this out: the GMAT/GPA averages being the easiest, the ding reports and such from Poets and Quants, and the tons of admissions advice on this forum and on the internet in general being some examples.

To be blunt, Essays/Recs/interviews/story can help for the marginal candidate, but you can't put lipstick on a pig and think it'll win Miss America.
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 12:14
mgh234 wrote:
tae808 wrote:

1) Non-impressive work experience (from a HBS perspective) in finance, since I wasn't in revenue generating role. I'd be competing against people who did M&A at goldman sachs, or Private equity at KKR, or hedge fund experience at Citadel...I knew I couldn't compete with them.

2) Low GPA.

A lot of people throw out resumes to H/S/W just to see what happens, and I think it's a waste of application in a lot of case. I think its very beneficial to have realistic expectations before you apply. If you applied correctly, you shouldn't be rejected (or accepted) to all the schools you applied (exception being if you get into H/S of course). Some people get into H/S with below average stats, but they aren't white or asian males coming from finance/consulting/IT. Those people who get in with weird stats did something amazing like start a huge company, win olympic gold, or are from under represented groups. For example, A 3.5 GPA from a state school, 720 GMAT, white guy who works in Accenture has zero chance of getting into Harvard, but I see those type of people apply constantly. Every minute you spend on your Harvard application, is a minute your not spending on your Ross/Darden/UVA application. You'll notice a lot of the zero admit club applied to 8-10 different schools, 3 or 4 of them being schools they had no business applying to. If they focused on the 4-5 that were fit, they'd probably get into one.

You should certainly apply to 1-2 reach schools, but people really need to have a realistic idea of where they stand. There's many resources to figure this out, the GMAT/GPA averages being the easiest, and the ding reports and such from Poets and Quants, to the tons of admissions advice on this forum and on the internet in general.

To be blunt, Essays/Recs/interviews/story can help for the marginal candidate, but you can't put lipstick on a pig and think it'll win Miss America.

Hey,

Thanks so much for sharing!

I was enlisted in the Marines and spent 4 yrs. Then got out and went to NYU. Just graduated last year May and been working at a commercial real estate research firm (about 2k employees). I'll be applying to hbs this year and they said they will count my time in military as experience. I haven't taken gmat yet but assuming I get 720, do you think I have a chance...? I just want to get a third perspective opinion. I'm asian male and got 3.5 GPA
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 12:18
Expert's post
tae808 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
tae808 wrote:

2) Low GPA.

You should certainly apply to 1-2 reach schools, but people really need to have a realistic idea of where they stand. There's many resources to figure this out, the GMAT/GPA averages being the easiest, and the ding reports and such from Poets and Quants, to the tons of admissions advice on this forum and on the internet in general.

Hey,

Thanks so much for sharing!

I was enlisted in the Marines and spent 4 yrs. Then got out and went to NYU. Just graduated last year May and been working at a commercial real estate research firm (about 2k employees). I'll be applying to hbs this year and they said they will count my time in military as experience. I haven't taken gmat yet but assuming I get 720, do you think I have a chance...? I just want to get a third perspective opinion. I'm asian male and got 3.5 GPA

Honestly, military and real-estate are the two areas I know least about, but I have heard at the top 5 schools the vast majority of military people are commissioned officers at captain level. That said, you have some unique experience outside the military, so don't know how that will work in conjunction (I'm also not really sure how prestige is determined in real estate). I think it'd be best to talk to fellow military people/real estate people who went through recruiting though because I don't want to give you wrong information.
Intern
Intern

CAT Tests
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2014, 12:24
Thank you so much for your comment and feedback.
Also, congrats getting into Kellogg!
Re: My story: Applying to Columbia/UCLA/Duke/Kellogg/Booth   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2014, 12:24