Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

journey update - 3 months in

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [1] , given: 10

journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 08:22
This post received
KUDOS
I started my GMAT journey in December of 2011.

12/1/2011 -My GMAC Prep Test (aka my baseline) was 530 Q35 V28.

I spent a better part of December going through the Kaplan Premier book. Additionally, I won a 9 week MGMAT course which started on 1/5/2012. My goal was to get most of the basics down before the course and then use the course to hone in on my weaknesses and eliminate them. I studied at least one hour each week day and about 8-10 hours on weekends. After a month I took my first MGMAT CAT. This was a requirement before your course started.

1/2/2012 -MGMAT CAT 1 was 600 Q41 V 31

This was promising to me, a 70 point increase in a month is excellent and I knew that all my effort was paying off. As I started the MGMAT 9 week course I knew that a 700 was within reach.

What I did not anticipate was just how intensive the MGMAT course would be. The homework assigned during the week left me stressed and crunched for time. I barely kept up with the reading and assinged OG problems. Felt like I was struggling to stay afloat and most definitely did not have any time to digest the information and really commit it to memory. This feeling continued throughout the course. I got a false sense of acheivement when I began working on the assigned OG problems. Later on I realized that these problems are mostly in the 300-600 range.

During week 7 of my course I had to take another CAT exam. I was nervous. This time I did not feel as comfortable as I did the first time. I knew that I did not spend sufficient time memorizing formulas and rules. The second CAT was harder than the first one. I was given many 3D problems and crazy long SC questions. Felt like maybe I am on the right track.

2/15/2012 - CAT 2 640 Q45 V33

Felt somewhat bummed by the score, however, realized that although I felt like I did not study enough I was still making some progress.

I have one more week left with the course and one more CAT exam to finish by next week. Wish me luck!

Reward wisdom with kudos

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 11:00
Good luck wallstreetbarbie.

After my three failures in GMAT, BB suggested me to read MGMAT Roadmap book to revise my strategies. I'd definitely recommend you to take a look at the book. It clearly demonstrates the timing/strategies that should be considered for the beast called GMAT.

I gave all MGMAT tests last year and didn't remember anything from them. So, I reset all of them and started giving those CATs again. On my 'new' first attempt ( called 1A on mgmat site) , I got 670 (Q48, V33), highest of all scores form my previous MGMAT tests. I think that the timing strategy explained in MGMAT roadmap helped me a lot to maintain composure during the test. Hope i'll be able to internalize this timing strategy throughout this phase of the preparation and through the real test next month.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 20

Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 12:42
I started my preparation at about the same time as you did, wallstreetbarbie. Relative to where you started, you've already made great improvement, even though you may feel as though you could have done better on your most recent CAT. Good luck as you continue to prepare for the test. I haven't yet taken a practice test since my original baseline test (GmatPrep 1), but at least you are seeing a tangible upward trend :) .
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 581 [0], given: 114

Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 24 Feb 2012, 12:51
Congrats on the marked improvements! You've already made some serious strides, so congratulations on that... The GMAT is one of those tests where it slowly soaks in over time (as long as you're studying hard). As long as you are on a good upward trend, I don't think there is a limit to where you can go! Congrats again, you are almost there!

PS how did you WIN a prep course?

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 09:58
I attended a CBS GMAT info session by MGMAT and at the end of it they raffled off a full course or a full set of books... I was the lucky course winner :D

Reward wisdom with kudos

Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 308 [0], given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 10:11
wallstreetbarbie wrote:
I attended a CBS GMAT info session by MGMAT and at the end of it they raffled off a full course or a full set of books... I was the lucky course winner :D

I have followed your posts and you seem pretty organised. You booked a date on 6/30/12 , 6 months in advance.
You have been attending info sessions, almost 1 year before people generally do.
Donot be stressed by one or two bad test results. Test performance also depends on the physical and mental state and this varies from day to day.

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: journey update - 3 months in [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2012, 10:18
wallstreetbarbie wrote:

I've attended couple of CBS EMBA sessions but didn't see any of promotions such as this one. Good for you.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Re: journey update - 3 months in   [#permalink] 07 Mar 2012, 10:18